Class of 1984 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Class of 1984 Reviews

½ October 7, 2016
For the video nasty nostalgia watch it.
September 9, 2016
Holy Smokes. I will start off by saying that I just finished watching this movie today for the first time and I fell in love. I'm reviewing this film from the perspective that this is a cult classic film through and through and so I shall begin. The story is about a teacher who gets a job at a school that is known to be full of gangs and a plethora of other misfits. He then starts to have trouble with the main school gang which are basic Neo-Nazi punks. The story is simplistic but does the job. The acting was great for a film that was made in 1982 not that there were not a ton of phenomenal actors back then either to say. The teacher Mr.Norris played by Perry King is Outstanding and the other highlight is his enemy Peter Stegman played by Timothy Van Patten who was truly mesmerizing. The other actors and actresses did a great job as well. The action was Awesome. The choreography could be a little off at times but for the times and the budget it was working with I thought the director Mark Lester did an Incredible job. The deaths were very cool and overall they did a killer job. No pun intended. The cinematography and location were excellent. The crew did a terrific job of shadowing over what a crime ridden school would look like along with the town it was surrounded by in the film. I will close by saying that this is a Must-Watch film if you're a fan of films such as "A Clockwork Orange" and also "The Warriors" and films that represent warnings on what our future's could look like if left in the hands of madmen. The film can be graphic at times but none of it phased me because I have seen a lot worse but just a forewarning. Please don't be deterred from watching this Absolutely Astounding film.
July 22, 2016
An exploitation gem. A well meaning new teacher at Lincoln High crosses a group of thug students who claim to be the future. Most memorable for scene where biology teacher Roddy McDowell quizzes science students at gunpoint.
July 10, 2016
Strong acting and a tight script.
May 14, 2016
In the early 1980's high schools in the United States had a reputation of being filthy, violent places that were overrun by gangs of rebellious students that can't be expelled for one reason or another (why these hardened criminals would want to hang out a high school all day is beyond me). Films such as Teachers, 3 O'Clock High, and others regurgitated that idea throughout the early part of the decade. Class of 1984 is another member of that genre. The formula follows and idealistic teacher (Perry King) that represents a young go getter, ready to change the world by teaching. You need a leader of the thugs (Timothy Van Patten) who gets into a conflict with the idealistic teacher and drags that person down to his level in the end. The idealistic teacher has to have a spouse (Merrie Lynn Ross) that is semi oblivious until the danger appears at the front doorstep. Finally, you must have the older, fed up teacher (Roddy McDowell) that serves as a mentor to the young, idealistic teacher, but will probably end up a sacrifice to fuel the revenge fire.

Class of 1984 is an average film from this genre. Very predictable if you've seen any film like this from the 1980's. The only standout in the film is the performance by Roddy McDowell, who pushes his character beyond its generic function. Otherwise, the film doesn't really stand out from any high school centered version of Death Wish. Class of 1984 serves its purpose more as a time capsule of the era than delivering anything new. This is a totally forgettable film.
½ May 14, 2016
Some fun kills at the end, Michael J Fix, and one great line reading ("You suburbanite!") aren't enough to make it a good watch.
½ May 2, 2016
exploitation cinema at its finest.
½ November 27, 2015
Silly and contrived. It did a disservice to those real people whose story they were trying to tell.
½ November 9, 2015
Such a blast. Blackboard Jungle-type exploitation movie. The punk schtick that runs throughout is so reflective of the time. Whatcha gonna do teacha-teacha?!!
May 18, 2015
Although most might view Class of 1984 as a film artifact from the 1980's, it's subject matter is actually quite relevant, and continues to be relevant decades after its release. Having seen this one for the first time, I was shocked at how serious and violent it was, especially the rape scene which left a seriously bad taste in my mouth. The cast gives a lot of good performances and Mark L. Lester's direction seems to be spot on. The last portion of the movie is really when this movie shines too as far as a character being pushed completely over the edge and striking back, but everything before that is a really good build up.
May 9, 2015
Despite its age, this is a classic and was no doubt quite hard hitting and controversial in its day. I certainly enjoyed watching it 30 years after it was made.
½ May 4, 2015
Saw it back in the 80's and want to see it again.
April 22, 2015
Along the lines of something like Cannibal holocaust, if you pull back the shroud of exploitive b-movie ultraviolence, there's actually some food for thought. Disturbing and engrossing.
½ April 18, 2015
This movie is an early 80s gem that rises above the other exploitation flicks of the era. In many ways, it's portrayal of urban decay and the collapse of inner city schools has proven highly prophetic. As far as the cast goes, we get solid performances from mostly obscure performers. And having an Alice Cooper song on the soundtrack does t hurt either.
½ March 25, 2015
Over the top cheese that just pummels one with schlock.
½ January 22, 2015
The 80s cult classic that predicted where were at now with our public schools in terms of violence. Exaggerated: absoluety. Cheesy? Without a doubt. All time cult classic favorite? Absolutely. All the classic 80s elements in place to entertain on many levels to different people because there is a little bit here for everyone who loves these type of forgotten gems. The director of such other 80s classics such as Commando delivers in all the right areas setting up an unforgettable battle between teacher and student that ends more viciously than it began.
½ October 23, 2014
Good bad movies like this are tough to review. Class of 84 is a 'high school from hell' flick that's way to ridiculous & reactionary to be a good movie, but it's so over the top that it ends up being kind of a funny one
October 12, 2014
The first in the 'Class of' trilogy and a pretty different outlook over the other two as this film is actually more of a serious approach to the story. One teacher up against a gang of yobs within the school which starts off as mere issues but slowly develops into a life or death scenario as both the gang and the teacher press harder for retaliation.

Compared to the other films this is a much darker affair which does get pretty tense as you really get behind Perry King's character to defeat the gang, you wanna see him beat them. Set in the present (at the time) so everything looks as it should unlike the sequels. The film does of course look really dated now mainly down to cars, hair styles and outfits but its still a great thriller with a really nice ensemble cast that all perform well.

Van Patten as the psychopathic pretty boy leader is really good the way he switches from menacing greaser to a whimpering high school kid to trick the officials, McDowall fits this type of trashy low budget film perfectly and King really cranks up the suspense giving the film real edge.

For all its silliness, increasing amounts of violence and lack of subtlety the film is probably quite accurate I think, it possibly does show what can and has happened in urban schools to some degree, the security guards etc...a reasonable prediction. Yes this film was a video nasty back in the day in the UK, one of those films that was thought to corrupt the young and innocent hehe I can see why somewhat. Looking back now though its a good fun revenge thriller which is so gloriously 80's and introduced us all to a young chubby Michael J. Fox.
½ September 16, 2014
Strange time capsule movie. Just can't take any of the students seriously (as characters or threats).
½ July 23, 2014
Crass, absurd, naive, kind of stupid, but bloody good B-grade fun!