Class of 1984 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Class of 1984 Reviews

May 25, 2014
"a teacher is required to be responsible".

Crazy movie, mad new teacher causes escalation of violence instead of difusing it.

A second teacher holds his class hostage with a gun and the principle says, "a teacher is required to be responsible". This is portrayed as unfair. The second mad teacher tries to kill a student later that night and dies in the attempt...

Madness.
May 8, 2014
Although the seventies was certainly more the era for revenge flicks, the eighties certainly had their fair share, and if I'm completely honest, Class of 1984 does not stand particularly high among them.

But I really did enjoy it. It's nice to go back to some classic R-rated cinema with low expectations and have those expectations met. It may not sound like much of a compliment but Hell, it's better than most can muster. Sure it suffers from that standard catchall where you chuck the villains some Nazi references to make sure nobody can sympathise with them (which actually particularly aggravated me, because the next day they throw you a curve-ball with the leader of the villains by making him actually a three dimensional character, but his gang never amount to more than utterly moronic skinheads-come-punks), but I found its merits outweighed its downfalls.

It was one of Michael J. Fox's first roles (simply "Michael Fox" at the time) and I'm told presents a vision of Detroit, L.A and Chicago schools that is horrifically accurate to this day (having never seen them myself, I can neither confirm nor deny this). Doesn't matter, because what's important is that this dated piece does hold up to this days gauge for entertainment-value. Or at least it does mine.

65%

-Gimly
March 12, 2014
(53%)
An 80's sleaze picture with more brains and decent acting than usual with these movies. A main draw to this now is to see Michael (no J at this point) Fox in an early role in which he does have quite a bit of screen time, and looks very young, particularly compared to his school mates, and it is no wonder why he played a 17 year old whilst in his twenties for his most famous role yet to come. The movie still is somewhat shocking, mainly because metal detectors in schools and the like have now become widespread in certain parts of the world, which is a little sad. The flick really is more of a drama than anything else so don't expect too much horror (although the wood work room death is a grisly highlight) or action for that matter, and for that much alone it's still worth tracking down, and even if the opening and closing theme song from Alice Cooper is pretty awful, and overall the movie is far from great. But it's still worth a look mainly for fans of these hard-edged 80's films, or those that want to see Fox in an early gritty move before he became a world wide star.
March 2, 2014
Most untouchable killer teens film study. They kill! They maim! They're obstinate! They sell drugs! Sadly, nothing can be done, ever, except by Man Zero, Mr. Norris. Nothing makes any sense, it's all schlock, but the ending is very satisfying. Strange Michael J. Fox role too.
October 21, 2013
The band director is the hero of this horror movie, of course 5 stars!
½ September 5, 2013
Gosh the acting was awful, but it accurately predicted what the teenagers would be like in Detroit or Chicago even till today. The film makes me depressed, even though all the actors are well overaged and nothing is realistic; Class of 1984 may be a shocker, but it managed to be a nostalgic cult classic..
August 27, 2013
Un des premiers film du genre. Pas mal. On notera la présence, pour son second film, de Michael J. Fox qui n'a pas encore le "J" au générique.
½ July 18, 2013
a cult fav from the early 80's. (crazy high school kids in there mid 30's) terrorise a school and gang up on a teacher so eventually the teacher has enough and wipes them out. not really sure if people in the 80's actually think this could be a possibility?
it's a very 80's film and has dated but I still enjoyed it.one of Michael j fox's 1st film roles he's really young here.
April 27, 2013
when does a dream, become a nightmare?
½ March 23, 2013
The only real reasons I watched Class of 1984 were to see a young Michael J. Fox and to examine a look at the violent punk underside if the 1980's culture. Instead what I got was just some gothic teenager stabbing and taping a bunch or people. It wasn't an action packed teenage adventure, it was a shoddy attempt at a slasher film that gave a tiny role to a pre-Back to the Future Michael J. Fox and later gave him top billing to capitalise in his success, like House Party 3 did with Chris Tucker, and that pissed me off.
In actuality, I took way little enjoyment with Class of 1984 beyond the title song, Michael J. Fox's participation and the fact that lead actor Perry King had a strong resemblance to Ben Affleck, but since I don't think that was Mark L. Lester's intention, it's safe to say that Class of 1984 is not a good film in my opinion.
Mark L. Lester's dramatised display of high school violence is too far fetched to be perceived as real, and its too violent to be perceived as fun. The violence in Class of 1984 is nothing but violent, and if its because its Mark L. Lester's perception of violence in High School, then he should really take a look at his film today and consider if he was ring serious or satirical, because either way it just does not work.
January 31, 2013
I'd like to thank Joe Black for showing me this
January 10, 2013
What Freedom Writers should have been. A fun punk themed dystopian schoool movie. look for micheal j fox in an earily role. Rockin theme by ALice cooper to
January 4, 2013
Good high school melodrama--Somewhat dated, but none-the-less entertaining and frightening look at violence amongst youth!!
December 7, 2012
Looks like it could be a good movie, will keep my eyes peeled.
½ November 3, 2012
A masterpiece from the 80's ..you , losers... submit to the school rules of the 80's.. SUBLIME !!!!!
½ November 2, 2012
A decent film. Prophetic? Maybe they're taking it a bit too far. Regardless, it is spot on when depicting inner-city school violence. Worth seeing because of both the set up and the ending.
½ September 12, 2012
dated but fun michael j. fox in this too
September 7, 2012
i watched this with no idea WHAT i was watching, and therefore stumbled into it's brutal plot by pleasant surprise. The cheese is laid on thick, but it was tasty cheese and i relished every second of this movie. Perhaps underrated but a true treasure.
July 3, 2012
A bit naff. Could have been better