Class Reunion Massacre Reviews

• Mar 12, 2018

Great atmosphere. Very weird and eerie. Plot may seem formulaic at times, but at least it precedes many paint by number slasher films

• Nov 02, 2016

Spooky, atmospheric, and well acted. It's almost like a bizarre dream like a Dario Argento or Jean Rollin film. The music score is phenomenal and has a Goblin-esque quality to it. Slaughter High would go on to do a more streamlined version of the same story a decade later, but its the weird and offbeat aspects of this film that make it so memorable - strange prologue and epilogues, giant puppets that seem to move by themselves, a variety of strange disguises for the killer, etc. T.G. Finkbinder deserves extra credit for his highly theatrical and deranged performance as "The Redeemer." He's terrifying. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but fans of obscure, weird 70's horror might dig it.

• Jul 21, 2014

A proto-slasher film, The Redeemer: Son of Satan is somewhat confusing from its title sequence onwards. It seems to simultaneously want to be a body-count/slasher and demonic horror movie. Nevertheless, it manages to be truly insane, brutal, and unforgettably twisted in ways that will delight horror fans,. It may never make sense entirely, but that doesn't negate its trashy horror appeal.

• Jan 17, 2013

Bizarro slasher, with puzzling opening and closing bits that left me scratching my head. Worth a look just to puzzle over, as it's just such an odd experience. Rental?

• Jan 17, 2013

Chilling and compellingly dubious, but will seem formulaic at first.

Chilling and compellingly dubious, but will seem formulaic at first.

• Oct 27, 2012

Saw this under the title Class Reunion Massacre. The reminiscing of good memories is short lived at this high school reunion as The Preacher dons several disguises to kill morally flawed classmates. Predates the slasher craze by a couple of years but better than most of them. Donnie Swaggart could take some points from the Preacher, this guy really knows how to reach his congregation - one bullied boy responds by killing his tormentor.

• Jul 04, 2012

• Jun 15, 2012

First time I watched I thought it was ok. But the second time sold me. It's a great film from the clas-sick grindhouse days.

• Aug 07, 2011

The trailer and some versions of the title ("Son of Satan") give people the false impression that this is some low budget rip-off of "The Omen" or some variation on the satanic horror theme that was so prevalent in the 70s. "The Redeemer" (also released on video as "Class Reunion Massacre") is actually, to my surprise, a full out slasher film that emerged after the success of "Halloween". Though it has fallen into obscurity over the years, it actually held my attention despite being a cookie cutter example of the genre with some absurd plot elements. 6 individuals are invited to their high school class reunion but a deranged priest has an evil plan. It seems he's made a deal with the devil, in a child form known as 'The Redeemer', and slowly stalks and kills our 'sinners' in a locked up abandoned school, Slasher 101 style. If you've seen slashers before then you aren't going to find anything new here my friend. It's same old, same old as our killer, a master of disguise, changes his appearence before killing each of our victims. None of the kills are especially memorable but I did get a good chuckle out of one guy getting blasted by a flamethrower held by a Howdy Dowdy puppet. HAHA! The characters are all poorly developed with deplorable writing going into why each one is so 'sinful'. One guy is a lawyer that defends criminals. Whoopee shit. One women is a lesbian. The horror, the horror! These so-called 'sins' as the movie calls them are quite tame. Either kill innocent people for no good reason or really despicable people that deserve the butchering! These people were just uninteresting. The most ridiculous aspect of our 'plot' is our killer priest. Other than these people being so-called 'sinners', what beef does the have with them and why would he only invite these 6 people? Was he picked on by them as a student? It's never explained. What's even stranger is his pact with the devil kid and how a laughable second thumb on his left hand disappears and re-appears on the devil child when the killings are done and the child returns to the sea of hell. Really, it makes no fucking sense! "The Redeemer" isn't a horrible slasher but it's definitely not good by any means. The killings aren't overly interesting or original and the driving element behind why the priest kills is completely absurd. Still it kept my attention, gave me a few unintentional laughs (a third thumb... really?!) so it's worth a watch for fans of the obscure or slasher fanatics that are just sick and tired of rewatching "Friday the 13th" and "My Bloody Valentine" for the umpteenth time.

• Apr 03, 2011

Weird but intriguing proto-slasher pretty much doing what Slaughter High (1986) did eight years later, only better.