Clear Lake WI - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clear Lake WI Reviews

½ June 10, 2014
Clear Lake, WI (Brian Ide, 2009)

Entirely forgettable serial-killer movie that wants to cross subgenres into the teen-sex-comedy world, but fails in both respects. Promising setup-an aspiring documentary filmmaker gathers together the survivors of a quarantined town, all of whom were under the protection of a local crazy preacher (Michael Madsen, slumming it), and takes them all back to Clear Lake (where, of course, they start dying). I'd like to blame the movie's problems on a lack of budget, but I'm not sure Ide (The Ride) and screenwriters Morgan Simpson (Redemption Road) and Geoff Bullens could have pulled this off with A-listers and a Michael Bay-level budget; there's just not enough to the story, and what there is was tired and predictable thirty years ago. Could possibly have some use as a sleep aid, but otherwise avoidable. * 1/2
½ February 14, 2014
The story is somewhat interesting yet slow and confusing. The characters are dull and pointless, and the overall plot process is questionable. In the end, it's forgettable brain-fuzz.
May 13, 2012
Interesting horror flick especially since it's in Wisconsin.
½ October 19, 2011
An interesting story with some pretty good acting, but its way too slow-paced for me...nothing really happens until the end..
October 6, 2011
Interesting horror flick especially since it's in Wisconsin.
May 23, 2011
It's clear that you should stay clear from this movie. Lousy acting, bad directing, worse script. I pity Madsen for faling this low.
January 19, 2011
Very little happens in this horror in name only. So I'll write very little on it.
October 4, 2010
A montage of ideas pulled from other movies that congeal well enough I suppose.
½ August 31, 2010
While this movie wasn't the worst ever, it definitely wasn't that great. Basically it was a wanna-be horror movie that did not really reflect the town at all. While I get that reflecting the town wasn't the main point, I think a lot of CL natives will be disappointed because that was what was so talked up. Also the movie did not have the smoothest flow. It was very predictable and overall not very "thrilling."
August 28, 2010
Michael Madsen! I love him. He always is in this random weird movies that generally suck except for his acting. I should probably realize that if all the movies he is in aren't good he isn't a great actor but I just LOVE him to death. This movie is no different, he was great, movie was horrible.
May 11, 2010
This was stupid. Obviously the only reason I saw it was because it was shot in Wisconsin. I can't believe Michael Madsen was in it.
April 4, 2010
a drama/horror movie with Michael Madsen in a very small role.

plot from imdb: A group of childhood friends return to their former hometown to revisit the horrors that happened there 15 years ago.

In this movie you get to follow the group of friends who get talked into going back to their former hometown by the wife of one of the friends and the wifes best friend who are a reporter. The reporter is planning to do some kind of a documentary of what went on in the village 15 years ago.

It was a struggle and a proof of edurance to make it thru the whole movie. It's set in a very low tempo and the characters in the movie does not help to lift it up. I don't think that even Michael Madsen could've made the movie more interesting even if he had a role that was shown for more than a couple of minutes. I think the main reason why this movie failed to entertain me or make me wanna know what happends next is that the main characters in the movie are all fairly stupid and uninteresting. I didn't care what happend to any of them, none of them is a good guy or a nice guy, they're all self serving egoists. I didn't manage to feel any sympathy for any one of them during the movie. The woman playing the reporter was the worst character of them all, was like a papparazzi not caring one bit about the people she interviewed or in which means she got her story. Which it seemed she still couldn't care less about, very odd. There is nothing good to say about the movie, except a few 5 second scenes with Michael Madsen that could be used in a trailer to trick audience to believe this movie is worth watching. Very bad and boring movie. Can also be added that the little amount of blood shown in the movie looks more like thin blueberry soup...
March 22, 2010
It was okay. Decent, cheesy, one time watch.
December 18, 2009
I just have to see this one ... one of my old buds is in it.