Clear and Present Danger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clear and Present Danger Reviews

February 25, 2016
La OTRA gran película basada en el personaje de Jack Ryan junto a La Caza del Octubre Rojo, e interpretada por un Harrison Ford en estado de gracia que toma la batuta de Alec Baldwin. Ha sido el único que ha interpretado dos veces al personaje de Tom Clancy, por algo será. Ojito también con Willen Dafoe, que aparece poco, pero cuando lo hace roba cada plano.

Phillip Noyce no es John McTiernan, y eso es palpable en la dirección sin embargo Peligro Inminente es uno de esos thrillers noventeros que son pura delicia de ver, con un guión bien trabajado, y una forma de ser trepidantes pero no excesivos, que ya se ha olvidado. Sí la trama es épica, pero es realista hasta cierto punto y esto hace que podamos indentificarnos más con Ryan, un personaje muy alejado de los James Bonds o Jason Bournes. ESO es lo que hace tan interesante al personaje, su humanidad y "simpleza". Ryan piensa, y luego actúa, Su hábitat es un despacho rodeado de informes, no un éxito paradero y eliminando enemigos con sus manos.

Peligro inminente es una de esas joyas de los noventa.
February 18, 2016
I have always enjoyed the Jack Ryan films, and I think this is the better of the 2 that star Harrison Ford. I love the way we have 2 intersecting stories going on, and it takes time for Jack to realize everything that is going on behind his back. It makes for some interesting debate because we see the effectiveness of the war on the drug cartels, but we also recognize what it will mean for our protagonist if the truth is revealed. All the intertwining motives and plots worked well, and I always followed what was happening even though they didn't spend large chunks of the film explaining it to the audience. Henry Czerny is brilliantly cast as the weasel who is basically the anti-Jack Ryan. I love their limited interactions and how you can see they mix about as well as oil and water. I also think any movie with James Earl Jones gets just a little better simply because he's there. Perhaps my favorite member of the cast, though, is Willem Dafoe. I really enjoy him as the good guy for a change, and his devotion to his team feels so genuine. Naturally, Harrison Ford is also brilliant, and I always like seeing him this passionate about a role (something he seems to have lost in recent years.)

My favorite scenes in Clear and Present Danger are when Jack and his team are working to piece together clues about who is involved and what is going on. Those scenes feel like they are out of a mystery/thriller movie, which is a genre that I love. Also the action sequences are intense and exciting, particularly the ambush in a remote Colombian alley. I do have issues with some of the pacing in the film. There are moments where we know certain things and they spend a little too long dwelling on that aspect so it can be revealed to more characters. I also wish the film could have continued and shown us how the trials unfolded, and whether the actual crooks got their comeuppance. But I can overlook these relatively minor glitches in an otherwise solid film. If you haven't seen any of the Jack Ryan films, this is a fine one that I can highly recommend.
December 29, 2015
Watching this movie was like having my eyes and ears raped
December 28, 2015
Willem Defoe and Harrison Ford have a competition to see who can impersonate the hardest hard wood. Avoid this cheesy feeble America wins the drug war film at all costs.
December 19, 2015
Han Solo and Darth Vader team up in an exciting and captivating political thriller.
½ December 13, 2015
Clear and Present Danger is a compelling and fiery thriller that displays the brutality of the drug cartel and the grimy politics and corruption that is all too common in Washington. The most powerful part of the movie is when Harrison Ford stares the two men that ordered a hit on him in the face before he enters the Oval Office and tells the President "I don't dance."
½ October 21, 2015
Just realized this is the sequel to Patriot Games
October 21, 2015
Too long, too messy. Not for me.
September 3, 2015
A film that doesn't need the epic length provided to it. Call is Clear and Present Boredom. Dated and dull.
½ August 25, 2015
Could have been better. Too much focus.
½ June 6, 2015
A slow, but very well done thriller. A great cast and good story which still holds up pretty well.
May 30, 2015
Without doubt an excellent and well acted film
April 19, 2015
A lot more drama than action or mystery but still worth staying for the outcome.
March 14, 2015
Not great, but at least it's got enough thrilling moments (The attack on the motorcade, the missile launch, etc.) to make the long running time worth it.
March 9, 2015
Well hello boys and girls. "Clear and Present Danger" just proves why Harrison Ford is the most entertaining actor of all time. He's tough physical and without a doubt one of the best actors of all time. Plus to see him and Willem DaFoe in the same movie...you can't beat it
March 9, 2015
February 5, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The dialog is clever and memorable. The story is still appropriate to our time. The best of the Jack Ryan movies to date. Harrison Ford has been the best Jack Ryan. All of the recent Jack Ryan actors can't step out of his shadow.
½ January 31, 2015
A great critique of political corruption.
December 8, 2014
With the Jack Ryan films being rather mixed in quality, I didn't have the highest expectations for Clear and Present Danger but knew that Harrison Ford would deliver his part.

Clear and Present Danger feels like it remains very true to the source material. Although I have never read Clear and Present Danger, I know based on reading The Hunt for Red October that Tom Clancy's writing style follows a path that tends to go back and forth between the complex politics behind America's war with the Colombian drug cartel and the involvement of the people in it. But unlike The Hunt for Red October, the balance between them is not enough to ensure that the film feels exhilerating. It is a lot more politically focused, and even though it is a very intelligently written film, it is a very complicated one with a lot of characters which moves at a relatively slow pace most of the time. I guess this is beneficial in terms of realism because of the fact that the amount of politics surrounding an American battle is much more complicated than the battle itself, and for what it's worth there is entertainment value in both the political context and action, but there is a long running time and slow pace to put up with if the viewer is truly ready to embrace the experience.
The scale of the film is big and so it has a lot of material to tackle, yet in the process it sacrifices a sense of character. Unlike Tom Clancy's novel, the film is limited to its tangible qualities and has to sacrifice character depth in order to really grasp the bigger picture. Since the bigger picture is a complicated game of corruption and warfare, there is a lot for viewers to take in due to all of the characters and plot twists in the screenplay. Director Phillip Noyce is able to handle it all very well as director, but the relevance of all the characters and such may be a lot for the viewers to fully grasp. The story is a realy complicated one. The themes in the film are interesting because the story capitalises on the concept of America's war on drugs especially in the context of an international conflict and the corrupt actions of both sides in the situation. The turmoil is complex, and the way that the film presents a story about Jack Ryan being dragged into it and using his unbiased approach to the truth evokes an interesting tale. The slow pace and large amount of story to take it may overwhelm some while the slow pace may underwhelm others. Me personally, I felt a bit of both but was able to enjoy the film as a whole for both its political content and action quality. The screenplay is strong, and the dialogue is intelligent even if the characters are not that great. And with the action in the film, things are choreogreaphed very well without going over the top into unrealistic territory to ensure that it maintains the realistic spirit of its context and still remains entertaining with energy, as well as having well edited sound effects.
The visual style of Clear and Present Danger is great. Everything is always shot with a close up style which effortly clarifies the claustrophobic nature of the intensity as the plot dynamics zero in on all the characters. And at other times, it pulls back far enough to emphasize the large scale of events and the strong scenery of the experience. The scenery of the film is really grand because it makes the story feel seriously legitimate to make the experience a very professionally crafted one. Phillip Noyce ensures that Clear and Present Danger is a stylish and atmospheric film which is a rousing technical success.
The musical score in Clear and Present Danger is also great. It gives the film a strong sense of scale as well as elements of patriotism without failing to convey the emotional nature of many scenes. It really adds to the atmosphere and makes the film a strong experience on the ears to add to how it already succeeds for the eyes.
And when it comes to the cast, Harrison Ford shines in the leading role.
Harrison Ford returns to the role of Jack Ryan with excellence once again. Clear and Present Danger is largely split into two segments in terms of Jack Ryan's narrative, with one part of the film focusing on him working behind a desk trying to analyse all the data and uncover the truth while the second half becomes focused on him cracking down on the conspiracy and getting in on the action. The first half of Clear and Present Danger capitalises on Harrison Ford's ability for firm and powerful line delivery while the second half uses both that and his abilities as an action hero. He is incredibly direct with the material once again, playing the role out with a humane level of dedication which gives the sense of being both a hero and an everyman which is exactly what protagonist Jack Ryan is supposed to be. His moment at the end of the film where he confronts the President of the United States his finest moment in the film because he sums up all of the intense development that has occured over the course of the story to let it all out in a moment of a professional soliloquy. Harrison Ford returns to the role of Jack Ryan and delivers a powerful performance once again, making him the highlight of Clear and Present Danger.
Willem Dafoe delivers in intense supporting effort as well. His screen time is minimal, but he is easily able to manipulate his character as the story direction constantly changes and he gets dragged through all kinds of plot dynamics. He maintains a strong level of professionalism the entire time and approaches the tense material with a serious manner of acting. He brings the realism of it to life with his simple yet intense performance, and his confidence brings a lot of energy to the feature all throughout.
James Earl Jones also makes a welcome supporting presence, returning to the role of Vice Admiral James that he played in The Hunt for Red October.

So although Clear and Present Danger has a lot to take in and a prolonged running time with a slow pace for viewers to do it, it is tightly scripted with stylish direction and led in a powerhouse performance by Harrison Ford in the role of Tom Clancy's iconic hero.
November 27, 2014
No doubt my favorite in the Jack Ryan series. Anyone who knows movies knows the scene with the white suburbans. Fantastic action and effects.