Cleo From 5 to 7 (Cléo de 5 à 7) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cleo From 5 to 7 (Cléo de 5 à 7) Reviews

November 21, 2016
5/5 An enchantingly simplistic experience which manages to pack in so much flavour. From the stunning camera work, the humorous yet somber dialogue and overall the flawless direction, Cleo From 5 to 7 is a treat. Such a satisfying film which still manages to feel fresh and effective.
September 9, 2016
Not a big fan of this film. What was interesting was that the film was shot in real time for those 2 hours (or in this case 1 hour 30 minutes). Reading a bit further is that one could take the same exact path that Cleo took in the film and it would equal the same time. Not many films are shot in real time any more, but this one does it exceptionally well and able to communicate a story.
½ April 23, 2016
Agnes Varda's French New Wave classic is entertaining and not as mundane as some of the other films in this genre.
½ April 15, 2016
When I think of interesting filmmakers, the world over, whose movies are always a pleasure to watch, I thank God every day for Agnès Varda. I had her '4 Films by' Criterion boxed set, seemingly forever, left unwatched, and I don't really know why. Perhaps I felt her films wouldn't excite me enough, I don't know. I certainly enjoy foreign, and French, filmmaking enough. Maybe it was because she was female, I don't know. I hope not, but I'm simply being honest. Sometimes I'm apprehensive about starting to investigate the works of a director who's different from me: Female, non-English, non-Caucasian. I think it's difficult for me to start, because I'm afraid that I won't be able to fully emphasize with their sphere of reference, and thus won't be able to either appreciate or enjoy the filmic experience as much as I should. Once I start, and watch that first film I see of theirs, I'm fine. But until that point, it's truly a challenge.

My university library had her two recent critically-acclaimed films, 'The Gleaners and I' and its sequel, on one DVD, and one of my favourite critics, Roger Ebert, had made a 'Great Movie' article about the original. So I gave that series a viewing, each film a separate night, and I fell in love with her as a person, and found that her films were not going to be a challenge for me at all. Thus I then turned to my previously-imposing, aforementioned boxed set, and went through it chronologically.

This, the second film of the set, was extraordinary, basically a real-time cinematic exercise of a lady who is waiting for the results of a biopsy, and thus wondering if her quality of life is going to be seriously challenged or not. In it, as I've found in all of her films so far, there's an extraordinary visual flair, a great and natural storytelling facility present, and you can really tell that Varda both loves people and is glad to be alive, and it shows in everything she does. If you are in a similar boat, and are reluctant to investigate Varda's works, please do yourself a favour and don't hesitate any longer. Appreciate this extraordinary woman and her work while she is still alive. You will never be the same.
February 24, 2016
Varda's direction is impeccable, with a wonderful attention to the mise-en-scène, camera movements and use of mirrors to show an absorbing real-time hour-and-a-half (not two hours as the title indicates) in the life of a narcissistic singer forced to face the emptiness of her life.
½ February 23, 2016
Average movie about a french singer. Not a must-see film.
½ September 16, 2015
What starts off as one of the greatest films I've ever seen, begins to fade and fizzle to a film that's merely excellent. It's another gem from the New Wave.
½ August 17, 2015
doc like quality to this
½ May 9, 2015
Given the fact that some of the scenes here even remind me of L'Avventura, well...Any way, I notice a similarity between Cleo and Catherine Breilat's Fat Girl in the way the films dangle with the audiences' morality. Fat Girl, is, of course, a nasty piece of feminist bitching, but the seeming sweetness of Cleo From 5 to 7 does not discount the fact that, yes, it's a confrontation to traditional representation of females in cinema.
March 22, 2015
You can't go wrong with Agnes Varda
January 24, 2015
Great director, great cast. Can't wait!
May 20, 2014
Tuesday, May 20, 2014

(1962) Cleo From 5 To 7/ Cléo de 5 à 7
(In French with English subtitles)
DRAMA

It's called 'Cleo From 5 To 7' because 7 o'clock is supposed to be the time 'Cleo' (short from Cleopatra) get to know about her diagnosis. At the beginning, shows the radiantly beautiful, Cleo( Corinne Marchand) corresponding with a fortune teller. After Cleo leaves, without telling her what she saw on her hand, the fortune teller then tells the person sitting in the next room(I suspect is her husband) that she doesn't have very much long to live and that she sees death on her because she has cancer. Now, I just want to say that I had to re-watch the beginning a few more times because everything the fortune teller was telling Cleo, is mostly spot on. That she's singer, and that she's living with another woman who acts like a friendly colleague of some sort who is now a widow. As Cleo leaves, we then get to hear what she is thinking, and seems to appreciate her looks, as oppose to looking forward to dying. By the time she meets with her close associate the fortune teller was telling us about before, and she asks her whether it cheered her up. It doesn't, and she starts to sob on her shoulder at a coffee shop. Although, everything we know about Cleo at the start of the movie was very blatant, viewers get to subject more emphasis about her daily life and routine as she corresponds with her boyfriend and song writers, and at the same time we're still oblivious what she's diagnosed with. Viewers are subjected to a lot of nothing as she makes sense of her presence, curious about it's affecting her. throughout the time from 5PM to 7PM, the only other thing I'm going to say is that as Cleo is allowing this questionable illness to bother her, and after the movie was over whatever she was diagnosed with didn't matter much anymore. Written and directed by Agnès Varda this is a excellent examination that had never been done before, except that the only thing I was baffled about, was that despite her being the best looking person, there was only person who approached her and that was during the final 10 or 20 minutes. I mean, you would've thought more single men would've approached her.

3 out of 4 stars
April 28, 2014
A capricious pop singer awaits her cancer screening as she flows thru paris in this great little new wave film almost completely in real-time.
March 29, 2014
the splendid experience of watching a life for two hours!
January 20, 2014
This was my first encounter with Agnes Varda's work in the sixties. Being impressed with later documentary pieces, I was not surprised to find a terribly watchable film that outlines a mere two hours in the life of one singer.
November 2, 2013
This is my very first Agnes Varda film, but it will not be my last. Users should be warned that this film is the very definition of New Wave. It concentrates on the life of a single character in nearly real time and she wanders the streets of Paris awaiting the results of medical tests. Given the premise, one might expect that this is a depressing movie, but it actually becomes something of a celebration of life and living by the end. Beautiful photography, and lead Corinne Marchand is luminous.
September 5, 2013
I liked the visual style and the themes - and above all it's quintessential "frenchness", but it did get a bit boring in the middle because it was too character driven and didn't really have a plot - it would have made a great book, but as a movie it fell a bit short in the entertainment department, especially since it pretty much ran in real time.
½ June 29, 2013
Favorite part was the score