Cleopatra Jones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cleopatra Jones Reviews

October 5, 2016
Dobson, starring as the titular narc and overencumbered clotheshorse, has some talent and obviously looks the part, but lacks the charisma and ferocity of Pam Grier. As for the movie as a whole, while its plot is nothing extraordinary, it has some terrific dialogue and a number of memorably colourful characters, standouts being Antonio Fargas as Doodlebug and, of course, Shelley Winters as Mommy. Great music. Relatively high production values. Decent (but pretty much bloodless) action, though the big car chase is not very well staged. But I do love the Stingray, and those are some fine magnesium wheels.
½ April 15, 2016
Needless to say, my favourite Quentin Tarantino film is 'Jackie Brown'. I enjoyed the action, and Tamara Dobson was gorgeous (I can't believe she was 6'2"! Wow!). I wish she had done more movies, and hadn't died so young (at age 59, of pneumonia and multiple sclerosis). Though director Starrett (who died even younger, of kidney failure) mainly did TV work, I loved his 'Race with the Devil', which was from around this time. He was very good at these kind of films, at both presenting action set-pieces and building suspense.

I would like to see ALL of these 'urban action' films. Though from my movie-watching experience, I find that I tend to prefer films from before 1970, these films from the 70's are great too, and are a lot more enjoyable to me than most films I see today.

I sincerely hope that, like in 'Cleopatra Jones', the filmmakers of today could concentrate on actors' presence and stunts, rather than simply go with CGI. I for one would be a lot happier as a cinephile.
½ April 15, 2016

½ September 13, 2015
This is entertaining just based on the plot alone.
July 26, 2015
Think I may have seen this, but can't be positive.
July 15, 2015
Silly but enjoyable blaxploitation about super spy Cleopatra Jones working with the police to take down a major drug dealer, dishing out healthy helpings of kung-fu and one liners. Director Jack Starrett is someone who I think is an underrated action director, having made minor genre classics "Nam's Angels," "Hollywood Man" and the very underrated and little seen "Gravy Train" (never released on VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray, find that one at all costs if you can!). He delivers solid action here, even if the martial arts/super spy vs. drug dealer story is the thoroughly average. Tamara Dobson didn't appear in many films, but at 6' 2" she lights up the scene when she starts fighting. The film is also helped by having a cast of genre regulars including Max Julien, Bernie Casey, Antonio Fargas, Bill McKinney, Shelley Winters as the madam called "Mommy" and Don Cornelius appears as himself. The action isn't as tough as say "Foxy Brown" and lacks the political subtext of Larry Cohen's "Black Caesar," but the film is a pretty enjoyable, if lightweight, blaxploitation flick.
½ November 22, 2014
Blaxploitation totalmente formulaico e mais sanado que o habitual consegue ainda assim umas quantas cenas empolgantes e encontra uma boa alternativa para Pam Grier em Tamara Dobson.
jjnxn
August 17, 2014
Typical blaxplotation flick of the '70's. Dobson is striking in the lead. Shelley Winters has her acting dial turned up to maximum consuming scenery at every turn.
½ May 28, 2013
good characters, bad fight scenes. More for girls probably but still not recommendable for them either.
February 26, 2013
This blaxploitation gem succeeds on the James Bond-esque charm of its protagonist, portrayed with a calculative coolness by the sultry Tamara Dobson, a government agent who takes on the local heroin business overseen by gang boss Mommy (a brilliantly over-the-top Shelley Winters).

'Cleopatra Jones' holds up well decades after its initial release and plays put like a tribute to tough-talking women, incredible fashion, cultural slang, and a community taking control of their identity.

A consistently fun, action-packed caper that should've been the beginning of a successful franchise beyond its sequel, 'Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold' (1975).
February 23, 2013
A slick, well produced film, Cleopatra Jones is an enjoyable blaxpolitation film. Amazonian Tamara Dobson looks amazing but acting wise leaves a lot to desire plays the title role of a foxy government agent out to stop the distrubtion of heoin in the streets of L.A. from an outrageous, over the top zaftig named Mommy(a scenery chewing Shelley Winters and the film's real saving grace.) It's fun to wtch her rip into her gang members and the showdown between both women is enjoyable. The movie is campy fun and moves along with a wonderful pace. Sit back and put your brain to relax as this film is not Shakespere but never intended to be brilliant just enetertaining and that is where the film suceeds.
½ December 12, 2012
A cheesy 70's shaft-esque film that sometimes fails to hit it's mark on being fun and takes itself a bit too seriously.
October 27, 2012
Special Agent Cleopatra Jones enforces the law in high fashion. Nobody has dressed better to burn a poppy field in Turkey. Dobson fits the bill in the lead but Shelley Winters provides a ruinous presence as Mommy in an otherwise pretty good film.
½ September 30, 2012
Fun little harmless bit of blaxploitation never hurt anyone. The movie itself is not actually bad. It is cheesy, but fun, and never takes itself to seriously. When I first heard about this movie I assumed that Pam Grier was the lead, and although I was disappointed that she was not, Tamara Dobson does a great job as the bad ass Cleo. Worth watching if you like the genre, and with very little language and no nudity, it is actually a nice change from movies from this period.

On a side note, the description of the movie that is listed on flickster is pretty much completely wrong, there is no diabolical weapon and the secretary general has nothing to do with the movie, it is about a drug dealer named Mommy who takes on Cleopatra because she burned a huge poppy field in Asia.
September 19, 2012
it brought me beck to the good old days
cosmo313
July 15, 2012
This one's surprisingly solid as both campy fun and a decent actioner in general. Of course, I'm also meaning decent on the B-Movie scale, but still, some fine work. Tamara Dobson is fine in the lead, and she comes off as more Afrocentric than her contemporary Pam Grier, if you're into subtext sorts of things.

The film addresses urban poverty, crime, drugs, THE MAN, and has some hilarious political incorrect giggle moments (well, especially for me given my age, race, and the fact that I've never watched this film without alcohol in my system. So yeah, it might be cheap, and a bit of a mess, but it's blaxploitation, so it's not boring, and quite a lot of fun.

This is basically one of the required watches of that wonderful subgenre, so definitely give it a watch if this is your sort of thing.
½ September 28, 2011
"Your hair is like a woman, treat it good and it treats you good...Yeah you gotta hold it, caress it,love it and it'll love you right back. And if your hair gets out of line, you take a sissor and say 'Hair I'm gonna cut you'.-Doodlebug (Antoio Fargas)

Tamar Dobson is no Pam Grier but she holds her own. More goofy then most blaxploitation film. Wish there was a wee bit more screen time for Winters.

"To protect and serve...shhhhit."-Reuban Masters (Bernie Casey)
July 11, 2011
This was maybe the weakest Black Cinema film I have seen. Lots of action but what else? Grade:C
½ May 3, 2011
April 25, 2011
by far the best of blaxploitation movies. better than Shaft, Foxy Brown, Superfly. just behind Cotton Comes To Harlem (the best!). Tamara Dobson is awesome 6' 2" super dynamite secret agent who kicks bad guys ass. very well made entertaining movie that speaks of social injustices and racism especially during those times. great film!