Climates (Iklimler) (The Climate) Reviews

• Aug 19, 2016

Like all of Ceylan's films, a deeply personal study which is not for all tastes.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jan 07, 2015

Ceylan crafts this enthralling story of a collapsing marriage with an enviable use of visuals and sound, but the film is also too thematically ambiguous, leaving us unsure if it wants perhaps to expose Turkish sexism or blame it on a presumed female weakness of attitude and character.

• Sep 26, 2014

A great film that shows a complexity of a relationship. By having two different scene in the beginning and end of the film, Summer and Winter, and change in climates won't change the reality of our life.

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    Dec 22, 2013

In simplicity lies complexity. Ceylan has moved from urban alienation to sentimental alienation through a no less than simple plot about an unsuccessful marriage. So why is it a cinema master's work? Ceylan understands the irrationality of human impulses and how moments drag endlessly and walk slowly during uncomfortable silences and individual reflections. He spends time putting you in the context. Such context actually works better if you can relate to it. If you can't, try emulating it. Watch the film alone during a winter evening with a cup of hot chocolate and a rested mind. You'll notice how the little things and details of life normally blocked by noise come up to the surface when everything is standing still. This very peculiar law does not only apply to inert objects. We are the same. In those dragging silences, stares, laughs, a smoking cigar, confused eyes, killer stares, all acquire a meaning and reveal things about our deepest thoughts that would pass unnoticed under agitated circumstances. In this way, Ceylan achieves striking realism. The beauty of landscapes helps to contrast the rotten state of their personalities; the peacefulness of the scenarios contrast their inner lack of peace. By the end, we realize that nothing is what it seems. Even if we may sometimes feel like the perfect jurors of the world, we cannot blame anybody even if we may disapprove certain actions committed by other people, because nobody is perfect. We are left, thus, with an ending difficult to decompose rationally but extremely easy to understand emotionally. 97/100

• Dec 09, 2013

gr8 pic about a marriage falling apart

gr8 pic about a marriage falling apart

• Nov 30, 2013

One Of The Simplest Films I've Ever Watch, Nuri Bilge Ceylan Is an Exceptional Director.

• Sep 11, 2013

My third Ceylan film and this follows the trail of my two previous flicks from the guy. This is slow, this is realistic, this is very pretty. He does neat things with the camera, original and clever solutions. Pretty scenery at times and a story that is semi-interesting and pretty realistic. This film is all right but a bit boring. There are not much tensity here or interesting scenes. Pretty scenes lifts it a whole lot, but it's not enough for me this time. A good film, that should have been more gripping. The characters are not likeable in a way, it's like watching relationships that you don't care about. I care about the camera work, though - it's fantastic. 7 out of 10 scooters.

• Jan 21, 2013

A slow moving drama, centering around a selfish and self-absorbed man and his relationships with women. As in his other movies, the director uses "less is more" approach, where the story is conveyed through small details and nuances rather than dialog per se. It demands quite a bit of patience from its audience, but for those willing to go along, it's a rewarding experience.

• Dec 05, 2012

Artsy fartsy, Great premise & beautiful images are not enough to save this film from being vacuous, It lacks enough substance & depth, Not to mention that it follows the same old "men as assholes & women as sweet innocent human beings" cliche

• Dec 01, 2012

Not very good. A film in the European tradition of movies w/out much of a story. Instead, it is full of vague longings and unrevealed motivations for the characters actions. There really isnt that much dialogue. Its all about mood & symbolism. This film just kind of wanders. It chugs along until it just peters out. We follow the life of a mid-age, hound-dog intellectual. He has cheated on his girlfriend before. He wants to cheat on her again. He has been putting off completing his thesis for some, overly-long period of time, probably for years. The movie apparently won a few awards. The acting is OK. There just isnt much story there. It seemed pretentious to me.