Clockwise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clockwise Reviews

October 29, 2011
What a lovely film to watch on a Sunday!
½ September 24, 2011
Entertaining film with good pace. John Cleese at his best!
September 21, 2011
Clockwise is very silly but there are some good Cleese moments.
½ August 23, 2011
John Cleese's maniacal energy help this zany and overlooked farce stand out. He hasn't done anything as good since.
½ July 8, 2011
(**): Thumbs Down

I didn't find this to be all that funny.
½ June 12, 2011
Brilliant British farce. John Cleese is at his finest in this wonderfuly crazy and cringe inducing comedy. I want to know more about those old ladies sherry glasses!
½ June 12, 2011
"Turn left here, then?" "Right" (car turns right, then veers back to the left)

Perhaps the closest John Cleese has come to portraying Basil Fawlty on the big screen, as a perfectionist headteacher on his way to a conference of his peers in this farcical comedy.

Things, of course, go from bad to worse, as he manages to miss his train (due to another of those "Left? Right!" misunderstandings), and as Cleeses character slowly crumbles under the pressure of making it on time.
March 30, 2011
Not John Cleese's best effort, but released at a time when Fawlty Towers popularity was at it's peak... He plays pretty much the same character as Basil Fawlty here, but he doesn't beat up his car with a tree branch or bully Spanish waiters. :(
½ March 12, 2011
This is a superb 1986 english action comedy...worth a watch!
½ February 21, 2011
The scenes in the car with the girl where he is stopped by the police was filmed in Hagley on the Feeder Road aka A491.
February 10, 2011
A scrupulously punctual headmaster in an English comprehensive school sets off for the Headmaster's Conference to deliver a keynote speech. One little slip sees him boarding the wrong train, which leads to a chain of consequences conspiring to keep him from his goal. This is one of the finest farces I've ever seen brought to the screen, written naturally enough by theatre farce-meister Michael Frayn. The frenetic energy of John Cleese in his prime really lifts this above the norm, as he hitches a ride with a student, bumps into and kidnaps an ex-girlfriend and winds up naked in a monastery. The climactic scenes at the HMC amount to perhaps the finest pay-off seen in farce. This is, indeed, a historic moment.
December 31, 2010
a good comedy although Cleese is Basil Fawlty under a different name but even then it still works, it's still funny and worth a watch.
½ November 20, 2010
I love this film! John Cleese is soooo funny!
November 1, 2010
Dated but amusing. Takes 15 minutes to get going. Things start going wrong when John Cleese gets on the wrong train....on the left...right....right.
Then it's a race against time to get to Norwich. As this comedy picks up pace it becomes very enjoyable....and there are a lot of mad old woman who should never have been released from the hospital. 163 miles later....
October 10, 2010
Cleese in an old 80s comedy whizzing around the English countryside in a bad car getting involved in silly situations.
Sounds instantlty forgettable, yet it works really well.
½ September 29, 2010
I saw this film in the 80s when it first came out, and rewatching it now it's still funny, e.g. "It's like putting a shark in charge of a swimming pool!" The first thing that struck me is what great music it has! It does seem a bit dated now, e.g. the old style police cars and phones where you dial by moving a circle around (rather than pressing buttons). Also, nowadays the whole plot could be sorted out by using a mobile phone to find someone and then asking them to email you a copy of the speech. Still, those aren't plotholes, because those options weren't available to the characters at the time, and it's well crafted to show how quickly things can fall apart. The cast are superb; most of them aren't/weren't celebrities, but I do recognise them from other roles (e.g. Miss Marple).
½ August 11, 2010
This was a favourite film of mine when I was a Kid and watching it now it is still great. John Cleese (When he was still funny) plays a sensible head teacher who is always clockwise and does everything by the book. He is invited to speak at a Head Teachers convention, when he misses his Train he has the most disastrous journey ever trying to get there! There are so many sub plots and funny moments, the best scene by far is when he robs the Yuppyâ??s car. A superb underrated British film.
August 1, 2010
A great forgotten comedy, makes me sweat and nervous everytime I watch it haha I just keep wanting him to succeed aarrrggghhhh there are some dull moments but also some truely inspired Cleese moments worthy of 'Fawlty Towers'. Evading the police, the final speech, in the fields, the old ladies etc, when I was a kid this was christmas TV gold LOL!!
'stimpsons supporters club?'
May 31, 2010
I love John Cleese, but some of his movies are just too British.