A Clockwork Orange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Clockwork Orange Reviews

½ August 26, 2016
I have heard a lot about this movie over the years, so naturally my expectations were quite high when going into this movie. It was even more than what I expected. The characters journey from beginning to the end was very interesting and watching as everything comes full circle was such a joy. I really enjoyed watching all of it. This just proves that time and time again Stanley Kubrick is one of the greatest film makers of all time.
August 24, 2016
Stanley Kubrick films are not for all tastes, and this epitomizes that statement. The plot takes place in futuristic London, as 4 hooligans led by central character Alex, create criminal mischief which results in Alex's arrest and incarceration. He then receives experimental treatment which is aimed to cure his criminal tendencies. Kubrick gives us a satirical view of the criminal justice system which ultimately is a fine cinematic work, that borders upon brilliant, yet falls a bit short.
August 22, 2016
A Clockwork Orange uses of a taboo topic to actually rally against the same topic. The fact that Kubrick does that so persuasively earns the movie bragging rights immediately. Also, the movie leaves you with a feeling of remorse and eeriness that it becomes hard to shake off.
½ August 18, 2016
No matter how I unfurl my conflicting feelings on Clockwork Orange, I have no doubt in my praise for Malcolm McDowell's affected and combatting spirit, as well as Stanley Kubrick's unstable sense of motion and omnidirectional cruelty. No character is left behind in the dissection of violent nature, at its most executed in this British dystopia of what appears to be an extremely large wage gap. McDowell, as juvenile delinquent Alex, raids the city with his gang of Droogs for sex, violence, and riches. In this dystopia, classes are not at direct war with one another, but they take out their frustrations on criminals like Alex when possible. Alex has all of the power when untamed, but once he is left helpless, all classes are ready to enforce Hammurabi's code (contrary to what the Governor had in mind, when conditioning Alex to feel sick in violent and sexual situations). Kubrick incorporates these themes with a vivid, yet uninviting imagination -- in the Droog costumes, the obliterated slums, the heavily sexualized sculptures and paintings regarded as contemporary art, the jittering array of colours that perfectly suit the sparse Moog synthesizer score by Wendy Carlos.

Don't think that I am looking to complain about something, but I cannot identify a primary conflict, in terms of a story. This hurts me, because I want to succumb to the style and, had yet to mention, the sickly appetizing humour that comes with many characters reaching for power. That ranges from Michael Bates as an uptight prison guard with zero faith in the redemption of Alex, given why he was imprisoned in the first place, to Patrick Magee as a wealthy man whose hunt for justice matches perfectly with bloodthirsty revenge. Goddamn, Clockwork Orange is spectacular in parts. Really though, the lack of a primary conflict does not help me in appreciating why Kubrick framed the story as he did. Will that stop me from watching this again and again? No, not at all. All that I can do is deduct half a star.
August 18, 2016
A Clockwork Orange is a violent, shocking, and controversial film that is known as one of the most controversial films of all time, considering it's disturbing content. This film is not for everybody, but it is Kubrick's true film masterpiece. A Clockwork Orange centers around the story of Alex, who likes to spend his time with his "Droogs", brutally assaulting innocent people, doing sickening and brutal crimes, stealing, and breaking into people's homes. Alex soon gets left by his friends, and is soon put into prison. The rest of the film focuses on Alex and his life through prison, mental centers, and even hospitals as he tries to take on his own life due to the treatment he went through. A Clockwork Orange is a hard film to watch, but a truly unforgettable film if you do.
August 17, 2016
Kubrick was a genius! Shocking and disturbing, but, a true master of his craft!
½ August 14, 2016
I don't understand the cultural appeal to this film, as it was an over-stylized production of the novel that left me not caring as much about the film than I thought I would. A Clockwork Orange has a very though provoking storyline where Malcolm McDowell played his character brilliantly, however at the end of the film I felt completely uninterested.
August 11, 2016
A bit dated and overlong in places but A Clockwork Orange maintains its power to disturb and provoke discussion.
August 8, 2016
Kubrick is once again provoking my thoughts
August 5, 2016
Kubrick is a master, and this is a typical Kubrick film. The technical is near perfect, but some elements seem designed purely for shock value.
July 30, 2016
Sin lugar a dudas una de las mejores películas de la historia y del director; la gran película tiene una buena trama, acompañado de escenas magníficas y la novena sinfonía es perfecta. Personajes sobresalientes y muy interesantes.
July 21, 2016
A very provocative film that I thought was well adapted from its source material. I felt where it might have lapsed in being able to represent some of the more thoughtful or detailed portions of the novel its based on, it made up for it on the strength of it's visuals and music. While the movie feels less ponderous than the novel, due to the pacing of fitting it all into 136 minutes, I think the film still reasonably addresses themes of morality and psychology that were central to the novel. I have mixed feeling on the film conclusion versus the novel conclusion. It certainly gives the film a darker feel, but the novel may swing a little too far in the direction of forgiveness. I like the this difference gives you something to think about. All in all, I can see why it's a classic but also how it remains a controversial film.
July 14, 2016
This is my favorite of all time!
½ July 13, 2016
*SPOILERS*

A film that dissects the moral nature of an individual while questioning the ethics of morality. Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange raises important questions in regards to free will and how it defines the human experience.

Alex Delarge (Malcolm McDowell) is a sociopath who finds amusement through his many acts of ultraviolence. Although he does these actions, he still possess the one trait that makes him human: the freedom to choose. This remains to be true until he is arrested and he undergoes the Ludovico Technique, a treatment designed to eliminate unlawful impulses. After this treatment Alex is left with the inability to choose, thus taking away the one trait that made him human. He becomes a clockwork; a toy that is wound up by others. His actions are controlled and mechanized by others, leaving him in a robotic state. It is only when Alex returns to his ultraviolent ways that we are able to see his human qualities begin to return, teaching us that the human experience is defined by the ability to make conscious decisions.

Though disturbing, A Clockwork Orange manages to convey many important messages that are relevant in today's society. With this is mind, I believe that this is Kubrick's most controversial and powerful film.

9/10
½ July 10, 2016
A fantastic film. Malcolm McDowell's performance is the heart of A Clockwork Orange, Alex is polite and charming, yet corrupt and broken, these two sides of Alex blend together to make one of cinema's most charismatic performances. Kubrick's filmmaking is obviously fantastic and he takes delicate care to ensure this film is faithful to the book whilst adding his own style.
½ July 8, 2016
I love this movie so much but I just don't think its a masterpiece, its a great film without a doubt with great writing and great characters but it just doesn't seem finished to me. But I still love you Stanley Kubrick
½ July 7, 2016
Of movies that hold up to age and make you feel feels - this. Squirmy, poignant, topical. A McDowell more formidable than he'll ever be again.
July 6, 2016
This movie is great. It's musical, funny, deep, easy to watch and I never get tired of watching it over and over again.
July 4, 2016
"A Clockwork Orange" is a masterwork of cinema from Kubrick that can be very disturbing but is always engaging.
June 28, 2016
Violent, disturbing, and above all thought provoking, Kubrick's adaption of the controversial novel is as relevant today as it was in the 70's as more and more questions pop up about the human mind we can always be sure there is no clear cut answer.