Close Encounters of the Third Kind Reviews

• Oct 08, 2019

Are we alone in the universe? Maybe Close Encounters is overshadowed by the more popular sci-fi film of 1977 (looking at you Star Wars), but this tells a far different story and easily stands as a Spielberg classic. Richard Dreyfuss acts genuinely obsessed and crazy to figure out exactly what is going on in his head. Mankind is still waiting for a real life alien lightshow.

• Sep 26, 2019

I think the director did a good job with this movie. Not necessarily because I think the movie is very good, but rather because in the time this was created sci-fi was incredibly popular and he had just had an amazing run with his movie jaws so this movie was bound to do well. I don't how ever think it was any sort of incredible. It is just like every other sci-fi movie of it's time. I'm not saying it was below average for it's time, but I don't think it was particularly great, and I wouldn't even say that now in 2019 it's even worth your time to watch it. There are, currently on the market, so many sci-fi movies that are undeniably better and have more effort put into them. It's honestly to bad because the set up had great potential, the man who was doing special effects was incredibly talented and went on to help with amazing things, and the director, Steven Spielberg as I'm sure you know have done amazing things. But I think given Steven was riding of the success of Jaws and knew any sci-fi movie at the time was going to do well, he just wanted to put it out as fast as possible while the sci-fi trend was still going, and not necessarily putting to much work into it, knowing it was going to make loads of money no matter what.

• Sep 26, 2019

I see that this film has made a large impact on movies as all whole, but i personally found it pretty boring.

• Sep 26, 2019

SPOILER WARNING: This movie is a decent romp of a flick that stays interesting to watch. I like how the film keeps what exactly is happening sort of a mystery until the very end. This helps keep the film grounded in reality a little bit. Because if this were to actually happen, we also wouldn't know what the heck they are. I believe the effects used in the film hold up quite well. One aspect of the film I had trouble comprehending was why Roy left with the aliens. There's no setup for this and it just kind of happens out of the blue. I've heard that some people say that this is supposed to be interpreted and people should come up with their own assumptions as to why he left. But I believe this is just an excuse for an oversight in the script. I think a little bit more reason for this decision could have helped a bit. Also, it's not really explained why they suddenly have the urge to go to the Devil's Tower. It's implied that the aliens put it into their heads. but why would the aliens want them to go there anyway? Other than that, though, I found the film enjoyable and I would recommend it to people looking for something to watch.

• Aug 23, 2019

Absolute terrific horror! I thought it was a fiction movie; turns out it was a tutorial for clown aliens playing orchestra music. Would recommend for clowns 10/10. Wouldn't recommend for normal people, -1/10

• Aug 16, 2019

While the characters aren't especially memorable (How many people do you know that remember what Richard Dreyfuss's character's name was supposed to be?), Close Encounters of the Third Kind is still a groundbreaking sci-fi feature thanks to not only the performances and cinematography but visuals that still hold up even to this day, thought-provoking themes and, of course, the music. Even if you don't like this movie, the climax is easily the best part of the movie. It's actually quite a relevant message, even nowadays where aliens are depicted as peaceful beings. It helps that there's no real villain. To think we had TWO game-changing sci-fi movies in 1977. Not just Star Wars.

• Jul 27, 2019

[SPOILERS] The graphics still hold up but I found the movie to be longer than needed and I can't get behind that ending. I know it's "supposed" to be a happy ending, everyone got their answers and the aliens were friendly but they just ignore the fact that the man character abandons his family. It's clear the guy will likely not return for 30+ years or potentially never return. He's family is left to think he went crazy and left them. You know that would completely mess up those kids mentally.

• Jun 21, 2019

One of the stupidest movies of all time. Seriously.

One of the stupidest movies of all time. Seriously.

• Jun 01, 2019

Really immature, even for 1977. The only saving grace are the shots of "aliens" and "spacecraft". Apparently, this enthralled the 1970's audiences.

• May 30, 2019

Watching this movie is so exciting. One of my favorite movies form Steven Spielberg. 10/10