Close My Eyes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Close My Eyes Reviews

hunterjt13
November 27, 2015
A brother and sister begin a torrid, obsessive affair.
The affair that is the central conflict on this film is interesting only in the sense that I spent most of the film wondering what drew these two siblings to each other in the first place. Their behavior before they begin fucking is quite unremarkable, a supportive brother, an adoring sister, with a mild sexual chemistry that inflames briefly and smolders. The mysterious nature of their sexuality is interesting and perhaps the center of what the film is saying about sex and love. The rest of the film's plotlines are haphazard and repetitive and rather trite ways the siblings hide their activities and resist their own desire. Most of the film is nothing you haven't seen before.
Overall, Close My Eyes begins with a good idea but fizzles to cliche.
February 2, 2015
The controversy (incest) is more memorable than the film itself but worth a watch.
July 16, 2014
This movie is above what people think it is.
April 13, 2014
I thought this was an outstanding film. Terrific performances by Clive Owen, Saskia Reeves and Alan Rickman. Saskia Reeves' character "closes her eyes," pretending that crossing the line and having an incestuous affair with her brother "doesn't count" as cheating on her husband, because it's within the family. All hell breaks loose in the best fight scene I've ever seen on film -so realistic, it's scary. The film lasted with me long after I viewed it. An intelligent rendering of the subject.
February 23, 2014
Didn't have enough going for it the acting wasn't good though Rickman was fine. Their is no chemistry between the brother/sister relationship to make it believable. the script wants to tackle a taboo but it fails because no one actually cares, including the viewer.
November 30, 2012
Ok... special film... very special...
I liked it though. Quite shocking, but it has a very original story. Came from a great movie idea.
September 9, 2012
Too bad with such a good cast there just wasn't much meat here.
August 7, 2012
Remarkably engaging with quirky characters and obscure motives against an unglossed backdrop of modern London.
½ April 5, 2012
Very sick storyline, but well done. Alan Rickman's characterization was unique. I always learn something from him.
½ November 15, 2011
The prescence of Clive Owen might have biased my views... Alan Rickman was a very pleasant surprise, wanted to see more of him. I'm not sure what the significance of the boss with Aids was (but again that may be Clive Owen's fault, everything is Owen's fault ^_^).
September 14, 2011
A young looking Clive Owen stars in this odd old film about a separated brother and sister who meet up. It is set in 1980's England, amidst political unease and social irresponsibility. It basically is about an incestuous relationship, that is as uneasy to watch as the idea that all of this woeful film is representing mystically.

I would argue that the film is pretentious and pointless, capturing a tiny piece of 80's London in a misguided love story disguise. Rickman also stars, as the rich man the sister marries, serving as the rich arrogant the pair get involved with. Socially it provides a minuscule insight into London living (and classes) and may appeal to Brit film fans but for me this outdated irreverent piece is just a back catalogue for the actors in it. Ludicrous and an excuse for nudity (losing the controversy of incest), the star of the show is arguably Owen's arse.
May 7, 2011
Incest and the problems emerging from it!
April 20, 2011
I loved Alan Rickman in this movie, he plays a different kind of character than he usually does, and if you're a fan of his you should see this movie just for him. The rest of the actors aren't as good, and the story isn't good either. Mostly, it's not a good movie.
February 18, 2011
The loneliness of a married young women lead her involving in an incestious relationship with her own blood brother..gave me an ache in stomach.detstable crime.heinous relationship and obsession ...i hate this shitty movie..
January 13, 2011
I saw most of this movie on you tube today, for some reason someone posted only the parts with Alan Rickman, which is cool, but you feel like you're missing bits of the storyline. I read the synopsis as well, so I understood what was going on. I didn't care for the story really, it's stupid, and I didn't really like Alan's character he was such a wuss and lazy too. This movie could have been a lot, lot, lot better.
October 28, 2010
a very wicked story of incest.. brilliant acting, very good plot
September 9, 2010
Contraversial when made, perhaps tame today, but quite watchable with another Rickman performance that puts the others in the shade.
High notes -
Ac - Alan Rickman.
½ June 11, 2010
Drôle de film... Je crois que si ça n'avait pas été pour Alan Rickman, j'aurais arrêté après vingt minutes. C'est bizarre, chiant et ça me met mal à l'aise. Franchement, c'est rare quand je n'aime pas un film qui n'est pourtant pas une série B, mais là...
jjnxn
½ April 21, 2010
Good acting can't compensate for the distasteful subject matter.
February 9, 2010