Tout contre Léo (Close to Leo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tout contre Léo (Close to Leo) Reviews

½ June 7, 2012
Cine francés, Christophe Honoré que se caracteriza por un cine maravilloso una vez más hace de las suyas, un reparto maravilloso una historia de esas que por aterradoras es cotidiana.
March 14, 2012
This movie sounds like it has a beautiful story. I definitely want to check it out.
½ February 27, 2012
A beautifully written, impeccably acted, and believable story about a close-knit family attempting to keep itself together when they are hit by an uncontrollable crisis.

But this isn't a story about a terminal illness, or about how a young man, choosing to forgo medical treatment, deals with his own mortality. And the title character's sexuality is almost irrelevant.

This is a story of a young boy, Marcel (Yaniss Lespert), and how he relates to his family; an increasing resentment towards his mother (Marie Bunel) versus the idolisation of his eldest brother (Pierre Mignard), whom he, the imagery throughout the picture tells us, will grow to become.

The way in which Marcel relates to the males he interacts with gives the viewer an insight into what lays ahead for this particular child... Well, it's all said in the title.

Yes, it's this sort of clever filmmaking that really makes "Close to Leo" a notable entry in the queer cinema genré.
August 20, 2011
A okay drama which has some heartfelt moments. the story following the youngest brother from a family where one of the eldest has contracted hiv. at first kept secret tot to upset the kid, things then play out following the two brothers. a curious and interesting watch that is not brilliant in any way. but it runs along.
February 20, 2011
French with a gay theme, cant get much better. :P
This was a great story, very sad, loving, scary in an emotional way, definitely worth a look - brings back memories of when I was the same age being shielded from family secrets (well so they thought).
I envied how much the family were so loving towards each other...
½ September 30, 2010
Really impressed by the acting of the two lead characters. Why are the French so good in making gay-themed movies.... Maybe because they have such a strong tradition in telling slow paced stories of just normal plain movie. Excellent movie absolutely worth seeing !!!!!
March 22, 2010
Sensational, soothing.
½ July 8, 2009
Gritty portrail of a gay man's journey through sexuality, family, love and loss and disease.
December 17, 2008
One thing that I don't like from the movie is the weirdness sense of brotherly love from older brother to his younger brother.
½ October 7, 2008
A pretty good movie. However, the emotion that could have been drawn out from it further felt like it was struck down before it got a chance to really emerge. Had so much potential.
½ August 17, 2008
I was very curious when I read the summary. I thought it would be interesting to look at this situation through the eyes of a younger brother. When I saw the movie however, it never came up to my expectations. The different scenes didn't seem to link with each other. The intense emotions didn't touch me, because the context was too vague. The ending of the movie is probably the best example of this.
July 12, 2008
Christoph Honore's earlier work. An (personal) emotional relief rather than a proper narrative. Seeing AIDS from a kid's eyes was a rare idea but the film still stays on a very superficial level & many characters had been wasted.
June 29, 2008
Not one of those gay comedy for sure. Some scenes don't seem to make sense but overall it goes beyond the cliches and focuses on the real issue: how this is all seen from the eyes of a kid.
½ June 24, 2008
This was such a beautiful film...great French cinematography, cleverly acted. The emotional closeness between the father and his four sons is something that we Anglo=Saxons find very foreign, yet is is extremely beautiful, touching and intimate. There are moments when I felt like I had lost myself in this movie, to be then suddenly jolted back to earth when something "French" happened, ie foreign to me and my culture. It reminded me that no matter how universal feeling are, there are some cultural differences and modes of behaviour that are truly unique among cultures. I liked this movie.
April 16, 2008
Starts out very strong, but peters out in the last half-hour.
½ March 30, 2008
brilliant film that explores the relationship between two brothers, one an 11 yr old and the other an hiv patient. not the most amenable of circumstances for the brothers to share about their fears and the impending loss? no, marcel and leo find support in each other despite this.
iLeo
March 3, 2008
Definitely wanna see!
½ January 27, 2008
A warm, loving, sensual and endearing film. Good story...Great acting.
November 28, 2007
Touching, tender, flawed.
September 4, 2007
love alex beaupain's music~La Bastille!!!