Close-up (Nema-ye Nazdik) Reviews

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was great!

This film was great!

• Feb 03, 2018

This is a very interesting film with some solid trivia and originality. It's based on a true stoy and actually shows parts from that true story in the film. Some Iranian guy is accused of being a fraud. He claims to be a movie director and tries to convince some people to join his film. He gets to they're house and snook around and when his cover is blown, everyone thinks he was there just to do a burglary later. We meet a newsreporter, digging in the story, we meet some victims and we hear more stories about this convicted man. The most intersting thing is the fact that the trial is shown in the film, the real deal. The rest of the film is done with the real people from the case and story, so even if the shots are done afterwards they seem very authentic. The mixture of remade, true actions and real material of the trial makes this film something special. Well, here is the negative part. It's all about talking. In trial. Things get repeated, things get boring. The originality and the trivia behind it is sensational, but that is also what made this film for me. It's impressive but the entertainment value is very poor. It does not look especially pretty or touch me in any ways, and with a huge culture clash involved too, I found it a pretty hard film to digest. Probably a lot better of you're familiar with the story. The solid finish adds something to it, but it total this was a bit of a drag for me. A very impressive piece of drag. 5.5 out of 10 spraycans.

• Jul 23, 2017

3.7/5 The unique presentation that balances the undefined genres of documentary and fiction is as interesting as it can be negative for the films enjoyment, as the story makes evident the problems each genre can present under certain narrative circumstances.

• Jun 18, 2017

Wow! All I have to say is R.I.P. Kiarostami. You were gone way too soon. Now, the heavens will enjoy your fabulous movies.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 10, 2017

Blending fiction and reality in ways that make it a unique experience, Kiarostami creates a fascinating piece of fiction-documentary hybrid that reveals always more and more about its characters and Iranian society (including social issues) than we could imagine to be possible.

• Feb 22, 2017

Close-Up explores the soul of a man on trial for fraud and, we find not a wicked man, but a gentle, yearning and forlornly misunderstood one.

• Sep 26, 2016

4.5/5 Close-Up is the examination of an incredibly bizarre true story, and Kiarostami's filming choices only enhance the tall-tale's absurdities - along with an oddly heartfelt look into how the arts affect our lives.

• Aug 11, 2016

Believe the hype? Really, built on the actually true story, its documentary-drama, captures the "villain" and the "bewildered" as giving us a masterly structured timeline of a unique story in Iran.

• Dec 05, 2015

Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami received international acclaim for this pseudo-documentary, part staged recreation of events involving a poor unemployed man and cinephile (Hossain Sabzian) who impersonates famous Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf and convinces an upper-class family to finance and participate in his next project. Kiarostami, who wrote, edited, and directed the film took a real incident and cast the actual people involved to stage a fictional version of the events leading up to a trail, and appears as himself recording the proceedings even interjecting himself in court. Formally, this is an innovative, self-reflexive movie on identity. Filmed in both 35mm and 16mm in a cinema verite style, Kiarostami overlaps scenes, uses discontinuity, incongruous framing, and experiments with sound - dropping audio at important moments - forcing the audience to question the nature of cinema. In dramatic terms, the movie is less effective emotionally. The inherent artificiality of the experiment results in a passive viewing experience. It's also disconcerting to learn that Kiarostami contrived both the resolution of the trial and the conclusion of the film for dramatic effect. It should be noted that this movie singlehandedly produced the resurgence in Iranian cinema. In Persian with English subtitles.

• Oct 08, 2015

Very, very strange... Almost mockumentary before mockumentary became a thing.. But it is just a fake documentary about a guy who is on trial for faking being a famous director. I just couldn't get into it.