Closed for Winter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Closed for Winter Reviews

July 13, 2015
An undeniably bad & uneven drama staring hit Aussie Singer Natalie Imbruglia who did the best she could with a lousy script.

Shot very well in the seaside town of Semaphore in Adelaide's North the story could have been excellent but with confusing flashbacks & very poorly written script this film just sank.

I think it was a good story on its own but the final delivery was slow & dull. Other than some nice photography there is little to praise of the film.
October 29, 2012
Bit depressing and rather slow at times. Not sure what I expected but the the title must have been picked out of a hat.
March 3, 2012
Not a bad Australian film, a fairly decent storyline. Though the acting wasn't crash hot.
½ March 2, 2012
As this got some not so good reviews, I have not rushed to watch it. Yet another reminder of why not to listen to other peoples opinions!
Being an Australian film, I am doubly surprised it was as good as it was. True, it's not a laugh a minute, but the acting is wonderful and it is very true to life. There are no major changes by the end, and you never do find out what happened to Elise's sister (Her disappearance 20 years ago being the reason Elise and her mother have never moved on in their lives properly). But surprisingly I found it wasn't really important by the end. There is a small revelation on why she disappeared, but I found the how I could conclude for myself quite happily.
Elise is a quiet character who seems to settle a little in life. I found it refreshing that they didn't write it that by moving on she changes her job and dumps her boyfriend. Real life isn't like that and I loved that this was so realistic.
Natalie imbruglia is perfect as Elise, and also excellent were the two young girls who play the sisters in flashback.
Definitely one of the better Australian films out there.
½ July 4, 2011
Not as bad as I thought it would be - it was nice to see the recovery of all parties...
½ February 17, 2011
I had always wondered what had happened to Natalie Imbruglia. It turns out that she was making this pretty good movie. I'm not sure if she turned from music to become a full time actress, but if this movie has anything to show, it's that she's got the chops to make some really strong pieces. Unfortunately, the rest of the cast is only so-so (with the exception of young-Elise, who has a great charm about her), and the story can take strange directions at unnecessary times. It is an interesting movie, and I would definitely suggest it to anyone who's looking for a family drama ... or an Aussie fix.
February 11, 2011
This is a classic example on why I DON'T watch Australian movies. Poor poor poor
August 9, 2010
Not that great....It just didn't go anywhere....
½ February 13, 2010
Disturbingly quiet and tensely slow. The protagonist is an almost silent tormented soul. A genuine character. Full of bottled emotion, unspoken events and secrets that restrain living. Beautiful Australian film thats stands out from the rest.
January 10, 2010
quite unclear and strange movie. Was it me or Natalie??
½ January 10, 2010
Another great little film to come out of SA - Natalie plays a woman haunted by the events that surrounded her older sister disapearing.
The story does move a little slow but I think this works well with the complex story line and helps the viewer take everything in.
Also, its always great to see local backdrops with this film shot in Semaphore, Grange and Woodville.
½ January 9, 2010
Was Ok ... not tht bad =)
December 25, 2009
On eof those indie films that grabs you. A great story dark and intriguing, much like Rian Johnson's Brick. Though not so much on the detective story front but the revelations and mystery were great. And yes Natalie was awesome!
November 14, 2009
dark, slow moving but I was pulled in wanting to know where the story leads. Where does it lead? Nowhere. It's more of a inward thinking story.
One star for the story, two stars for Natalie Imbruglia's beauty!
November 2, 2009
A good story with decent acting to support, but the storyline had parts of ambiguity which made things seem a bit out of place.....
½ October 31, 2009
boring, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this kinda movie. Beautiful environments in the movie though
October 28, 2009
Imbruglia shows some potential, yet this is pure self indulgence. The cinematography is cheap and the story lacking, while the whole thing looks like it was made in the 70's!
½ October 9, 2009
good aussie film.. ideas based on coming to terms with the past.. Natalie Imbruglia acting is not so bad..
September 28, 2009
Natalie Imbruglia is a good actress too.