Closer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Closer Reviews

½ April 4, 2016
Relationship drama. Great story line and memorable one liners. Three of the four characters are archetypal and wonderfully portrayed. However Julia Roberts despite being an iconic and wonderfully great actress is miscast in this story. She is just too nice to play such a masochistic role. Guess she was probably recruited as a crowd puller.
½ March 24, 2016
More of a four star movie but I love it so so much and these characters hold a special place in my heart as I treasure the play so much
March 13, 2016
Overly schmaltzy, melodramatic and theatrical...and quite dull too.

The story of two couples, Dan and Alice (Jude Law and Natalie Portman) and Anna and Larry (Julia Roberts and Clive Owen). We see how they meet, how their relationships start...and how they end up cheating on each other.

Quite dull. It's really just a story of relationship machinations and manipulations for the sake of machinations and manipulations. There is no point, ultimately (except maybe that relationships are doomed to fail so why bother?, but I might be being a bit cynical there...).

Execution is pretty stiff and stuffy too. Very wordy, and unnaturally so. Far too much melodrama over things not warranting such drama. You can tell this was originally a play...

Quite empty too - superficial, emotionally, and overly schmaltzy

Only two things prevent this from being a total waste of time. One is the humour - there are some great one-liners scattered throughout the movie.

The second is the performance of Natalie Portman. She sparkles in her role and got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her efforts.

Not sure how Clive Owen got his Best Supporting Actor nomination though. His performance largely consists of overacting. He is also the biggest victim of the theatrical script - every line he utters sounds like a speech.
March 9, 2016
Closer explores the complexities of human relationships - as well as the need for love and its straying developments - with Mike Nichols' sensitive direction which is greatly elevated by a tender script and its stellar cast - particularly the magnetic interplay between Clive Owen and Natalie Portman.
January 29, 2016
A realistic screenplay interpreted by the right people, with soft and humaine filming techniques and a perfectly picked soundtrack to emphasize the key moments can sometimes lead to a masterpiece, and according to my views, that's the case. If you can't identify with what's going on, the leaast you can do is imagine the scenario and get captivated by the dramatic situations spiced by the much-needed vulgarity Portman managed to bring,
½ January 16, 2016
Boring, and contrived of situations not likely to ever happen; disturbing plot line and overly sexual in nature. Good performances of Clive Owen in particular, but all were excellent, with Roberts and Law in their branded characterizations.
January 16, 2016
Closer es una película con actuaciones excelentes (especialmente de Jude Law y Clive Owen), una historia que te sorprende lo entretenida que llega a ser, y tiene un guión bastante destacable.
Si bien a veces resultan algo confusos los sentimientos de los personajes, el final te saca estas confusiones que podes tener y mientras tanto, realmente no importan porque a donde sea que estos sentimientos vayan es genial ver como se mueven.
December 24, 2015
If I was Larry, I would have definitely punched Dan in the Face.
½ October 9, 2015
Apart from Natalie Portman, the cast here is normally enough to put you off before you start watching. The screenplay, however, is what makes this a terrible film. The story isn't much better. If you are one of those people who drool over the thought of Natalie Portman stripping then this film is a must watch, but I advise you to do it in mute mode.
September 22, 2015
Reminds me of cruel intentions..critique of acting on 'love at first sight'
½ August 11, 2015
Somehow wanted to love this movie more than I did; Portman does an excellent portrait of young-rebel-dishevelled-arguably-psychotic predator, while Judd tries for the yellow-belly misunderstood writer. Clive Owen is marvellous, also liked Julia Roberst as the mature-instable-be-as-it-may artist. Overall, this probably works better in the settings of a play, where the characters really can take centre-stage positions and amaze you.
August 8, 2015
Way to complicated for such a simple movie
July 27, 2015
I will always consider this a great anti-romantic comedy. I liked the idea of characters lying, cheating, and deceiving each other throughout the entire film. It's hard to imagine anyone else filling the shoes of Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, and Julia Roberts because each of them contributes something special that made this picture extremely memorable. I think the title fits the movie because no matter how close the characters get emotionally, they are never successful when it comes to acquiring genuine and utter connection. Each character is strong in their own way, yet weak also. That rings very true to life because we are all damaged creatures, striving to be loved regardless of how we see the world and the people that live in that world. This film provides fascinating characters that are highly suitable to in-depth character studies. It's nothing short of excellent.
July 25, 2015
Dumb. Really bad movie.
June 27, 2015
Mike Nichols adapts this searing story of love's elusiveness, passion's grip, and the pain of abandonment extraordinarily well to the screen. The cast is magnificent, and the feeling of the film is all too dead on.
½ June 16, 2015
Closer is not perfect, but it is one of the strongest and most interesting romantic dramas in my book.
June 4, 2015
Very good acting by Clive Owen and Natalie Portman. Jude Law was also perfect for his character. Loved the lines.
June 3, 2015
Closer is an unforgettable, intelligently-made drama about four people who have no one left but each other. Patrick Marber's dialogue sweeps you off your feet.
June 3, 2015
Complicated love and relationships
½ May 11, 2015
I watched this movie in 2013 and i was reminded of how good the movie industry used to be. The script was by far the best ive listened to in years and thats to say a lot