Closer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Closer Reviews

January 16, 2016
Closer es una película con actuaciones excelentes (especialmente de Jude Law y Clive Owen), una historia que te sorprende lo entretenida que llega a ser, y tiene un guión bastante destacable.
Si bien a veces resultan algo confusos los sentimientos de los personajes, el final te saca estas confusiones que podes tener y mientras tanto, realmente no importan porque a donde sea que estos sentimientos vayan es genial ver como se mueven.
December 24, 2015
If I was Larry, I would have definitely punched Dan in the Face.
½ October 9, 2015
Apart from Natalie Portman, the cast here is normally enough to put you off before you start watching. The screenplay, however, is what makes this a terrible film. The story isn't much better. If you are one of those people who drool over the thought of Natalie Portman stripping then this film is a must watch, but I advise you to do it in mute mode.
September 22, 2015
Reminds me of cruel intentions..critique of acting on 'love at first sight'
½ August 11, 2015
Somehow wanted to love this movie more than I did; Portman does an excellent portrait of young-rebel-dishevelled-arguably-psychotic predator, while Judd tries for the yellow-belly misunderstood writer. Clive Owen is marvellous, also liked Julia Roberst as the mature-instable-be-as-it-may artist. Overall, this probably works better in the settings of a play, where the characters really can take centre-stage positions and amaze you.
August 8, 2015
Way to complicated for such a simple movie
July 27, 2015
I will always consider this a great anti-romantic comedy. I liked the idea of characters lying, cheating, and deceiving each other throughout the entire film. It's hard to imagine anyone else filling the shoes of Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, and Julia Roberts because each of them contributes something special that made this picture extremely memorable. I think the title fits the movie because no matter how close the characters get emotionally, they are never successful when it comes to acquiring genuine and utter connection. Each character is strong in their own way, yet weak also. That rings very true to life because we are all damaged creatures, striving to be loved regardless of how we see the world and the people that live in that world. This film provides fascinating characters that are highly suitable to in-depth character studies. It's nothing short of excellent.
July 25, 2015
Dumb. Really bad movie.
June 27, 2015
Mike Nichols adapts this searing story of love's elusiveness, passion's grip, and the pain of abandonment extraordinarily well to the screen. The cast is magnificent, and the feeling of the film is all too dead on.
½ June 16, 2015
Closer is not perfect, but it is one of the strongest and most interesting romantic dramas in my book.
June 4, 2015
Very good acting by Clive Owen and Natalie Portman. Jude Law was also perfect for his character. Loved the lines.
June 3, 2015
Closer is an unforgettable, intelligently-made drama about four people who have no one left but each other. Patrick Marber's dialogue sweeps you off your feet.
June 3, 2015
Complicated love and relationships
½ May 11, 2015
I watched this movie in 2013 and i was reminded of how good the movie industry used to be. The script was by far the best ive listened to in years and thats to say a lot
April 11, 2015
This film really should not work, but it does.
April 11, 2015
A powerful and engrossing look at the dark and cynical face of romance.
½ April 1, 2015
Without a double, the most venomous, fragile and desperate love story that's ever been told, based on a well known British play (Which when it first took to the stage actually starred Clive Owen). Closer elegantly and charmingly wiggles into our hearts, before stabbing them a thousand times with a rusted knife. Set in London, Alice and Dan are bizarrely introduced to each other by a road accident. Falling for each other instantly the couple become madly in love, transforming each others lives. However when Dan turns out not to be the nice guy that he lets on and the lives of Anna, a photographer and Larry, a doctor, intrude on this perfect relationship, the human psyche is pushed to braking point as a 4 way love cluster fuck begins. The cast are without a doubt, perfect, all 4 actors give such a brilliant and diverse performance, really making the characters their own, it is close to impossible to imagine anyone else in the roles, Jude Law portrays an incredibly weak man, who's exterior becomes more and more smug while the insides stay fragile. Natalie Portman is phenominal as the American ghost, who goes where the wind takes her, he complete and utter passion and youthfulness in this film is admirable and adorable, yet equally disturbing. Julia Roberts is extremely strong, even if a lot of her screen time revolves around the shit hitting the fan, her blunt and devious traits are poisonous while being luring. However it is Clive Owen here that steals the show and the audience and the seats and the screen. His apish, cut throat and frightening portrayal of a London "Bloke" tears the screen in 2 every time he graces it. He clearly understands the source material to such perfection his convictions and fire are so believable at points you forget your watching a film. It is a difficult film, the characters are all, in their own way, horrible people, however the stories use of language and constant deceit make it impossible not to sympathise with all of these people. The language is brilliant, lifted straight from the theatre script. It works so well, because it feels so real and on screen it just emits so much raw emotion. There is the occasional line that seems forced or over dramatic but they are few and far between. The film also bolsters a shiny polish, the lighting is gorgeous, subtle and life like, camera angles get exactly what they need to and the sets and locations are utterly brilliant. The presentation of this film is pristine, almost, even Damien Rice's song book ending the film fits perfectly. Its almost a match made in heaven. There are a few niggles here and there that do annoy. The film hurtles at break neck speed however it only wants you to see pivotal moments in its timeline. This is fine but the fact that each scene here has a huge leap in time between each other, make it very difficult to really get a deeper feeling of character relations. It doesnt help that every scene has something close to diabolical happen in it also, meaning you cant quite shake the feeling your always missing something. There is an occasional crap maneuver with some shots as well, relishing somewhat with the zoom function, its a small gripe but its there. Finally there are moments of just cringe worthy film making, not much, but a couple that just lead to huge sighs. Like for example having every man in a busy street stop dead in their tracks to look at Natalie Portman as she struts down the street, its moments like this the film breaks the fourth wall and you cant help but be left with a bitter taste. Despite some minor niggles, Closer hasnt aged a bit and in all honesty it still is one of my most loved romantic, if you can call it that, film.
February 28, 2015
Maybe it is just me but I really loathe this movie. Just don quite understand what it is all about.
½ February 21, 2015
gr8 director gr8 cast so-so movie how does that happen?