The Closet (Le Placard) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Closet (Le Placard) Reviews

½ May 20, 2016
It did get me laughing at some parts but after I finished watching it, I don't find any true meaning to this movie. I guess this is just a lighthearted movie for those with some time to kill.
May 31, 2015
Smart & hilarious, why can't American gay flicks be as good?
April 12, 2015
To prevent losing his job, Francois decided to pretend to be gay with the help from his industrial psychologist neighbour. Life goes from bad to good as he does so, but with hilarious result. Le Placard is a smart comedy to satirize the affirmative action policy. I especially love the set design, it was simply exquisite.
½ September 14, 2014
Great French comedy, in the fashion of great French films. Quiet funny.
September 6, 2014
A delightful funny comedy with Francois Pignon (the dull accountant) learns that he will be fired soon - the story starts when the office thinks he is gay. Great to watch.
½ August 3, 2014
You simply can't lose with a film featuring Daniel Auteuil and Gérard Depardieu!
½ March 13, 2014
Very funny movie with an ironic twist!
February 8, 2014
An interesting twist on a gay movie. Funny & clever.
January 20, 2014
An awesome underdog story. French girls are hot.
January 14, 2014
Nice little french comedy with a great cast & a loveable story of a man who's mistaking as being a gay employee in a conservative corporate. Some well written dialogues & great actors will give you a great time in this intelligent & solid entertainment.
½ January 12, 2014
Had some funny moments.
½ December 26, 2013
An enjoyable and hilarious comedy on sexuality with Great performances from Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu. Films like this mark the social progress we have experienced.
December 22, 2013
Scénario complètement délirant! Jeux d'acteurs considérables, j'ai beaucoup aimé. Drôle au boutte et aucun temps mort.
October 17, 2013
Silly and enjoyable fun.
½ September 12, 2013
Depardieu pink sweater
½ August 27, 2013
A cute little movie about a sticky situation. Auteuil is becoming a favorite actor.
August 18, 2013
A bit more crass and vulgar than the dinner game, the humour is less sophisticated, but it works better as a movie.
ElCochran90
½ July 10, 2013
A charming French comedy with bad results, not surpassing the usual European modern standards. Avoid it.

56/100
June 10, 2013
Another French comedy that didn't let me down.
June 1, 2013
This is a good movie, even if the plotting and execution are a little bit formulaic. But this was exactly the type of movie that I needed to watch today, after an especially rough day emotionally, it was silly and light fun with an immensely likable performance from Daniel Auteuil. The set-up sounds like the plot of a sitcom episode, and in many ways it plays out exactly like that. Francois pretends to be gay to save him from being fired, this revelation leads to his co-workers treating him differently and he gets in increasingly silly hi-jinks. My favorite character in the movie would have to be Felix, I just found this idea of this macho homophobe, in being manipulated by his friends to change his ways and to be nice to Francois or else he risks being fired, discovers that he is, in fact, a homosexual. It doesn't read out well, but I thought the execution was actually the highlight of the film. I don't think the film, overtly, offends gay lifestyle and, in fact, I think it does anything but because, in a way, it does highlight how people have evolved but in a lot of ways they still stay the same. And this is a movie from 2000, so it's definitely relevant as far as its message goes. The movie also lays on its sweetness pretty thick, but not to the point where it becomes nauseating, it's just the right amount. Daniel Auteuil is very entertaining, I think he has great facial expressions and, as mentioned, he's really likable. He has that warmth about him that makes relating to him very easy. The rest of the cast is also solid, Gerard Depardieu being the highlight as his is the most interesting character. The movie, unfortunately, in spite of all of this, isn't hilarious. It's certainly funny, but only sporadically so. But that's not even that big of an issue for me when the movie is as fun as it is. I took this film for what it was, silly and light entertainment. It won't win any serious film awards, but it is a fun film that doesn't demand a lot out of you. There's a place for these films if they're done well, and this movie was so I can recommend it.