Cobb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cobb Reviews

October 12, 2016
This is one of the worst movies ever made. Based on a book of lies written by Al Stump, nothing in this movie is accurate at all regarding the life of Ty Cobb. Cobb was not a racist, never sharpened his spikes and never killed anyone. For Hollywood to perpetuate a book of lies is so typical of the money making machine they are. I would not recommend this movie at all for historical content or amusement. The scene where Cobb attempted to rape a waitress was an admitted fabrication by the director.
June 4, 2016
'Greatness is overrated.'
½ January 20, 2016
Often uneven, but Tommy Lee Jones unrelenting portrayal drives the movie
May 30, 2015
"Cobb" offers a towering performance by Tommy Lee Jones, but the accuracy of the life of one of baseball's greats is questionable in this film that has almost no baseball in it, but more focuses on Cobb's off-field antics that include violence and drinking heavily.
½ April 30, 2015
Not enough of Cobb actually playing ball. It was just old Ty Cobb being an asshole. I was hoping to see young Ty Cobb being an asshole while playing baseball.
April 19, 2015
Jones plays this most unpleasant Cobb with dastard intensity in what is a decent road trip baseball movie.
½ March 25, 2015
One of those early instances, seeing it when I was probably too young on HBO, when I understood what a low-life asshole was on a screen - and the power of acting to the point where I couldn't take my eyes off him.
½ December 16, 2014
Ron Shelton's Cobb is a magnificant film that gives insight into the "dark brooding soul" of one of America's Baseball heros. Based on Tyrus Ramond Cobb's biography as written by Al Stump, it paints the picture of a wretched man, who is still today remebered as one of the Greatest Baseball players of all Time. Tommy Lee Jones' performance as Ty Cobb is captivating and often scary as he captures the essence of a truly horrible man. Sadly his performance is unrecognized and is possible one of his best of all time. The film is journey into one man's dark half and a fantastic addition to any collection.
½ November 17, 2014
ITs a decent movie, probably better to those who followed the guy or Baseball but one thing you can't argue is how damn entertaining TLJ's performance as Cobb is.
July 25, 2014
I hope that all great athletes do not come with that much baggage. Good performance by jones, but the rest of the film, besides Lolita, gave weak support. Many aspects shown were not necessary in order to tell the story well, and because of that many will never know more about Cobb, but should they? I don't think I will ever see this one again.
June 30, 2014
Tommy Lee Jones gives one of his best performances in his portrayal of Ty Cobb. Jones immerses himself in the role of one of the greatest baseball players ever. He's angry, racist, disgusting, and ultimately a sad broken man. Robert Wuhl, as the sportswriter hired by Cobb to write his biography, is Cobb's foil throughout the film; injecting a little more hilarity in his guise as straight man Al Stump. Very similar to his role on the HBO series "Arliss".

Instead of telling a straight chronological biography, Cobb starts in 1961, the year of Cobb's death. Riddled with cancer, among other medical problems, and sensing the end is near, Cobb hires Al Stump to write his biography, or at least a sanitized version of it. Stump agrees - while secretly writing a second biography to be published after Cobb's death - traveling with Cobb to a Hall of Fame dinner in Cooperstown and then down to Cobb's hometown in Georgia. Along the way, Stump learns that all of the legends about Cobb's temper and vile behavior are true. Although we are given some of Cobb's past via flashbacks and the stories that he tells, we are shown surprisingly little baseball. There's really only one scene of it in the entire film where we see Cobb faceoff with a pitcher (played by real life pitcher Roger Clemens and then steal a couple of bases with his famous high-spiking slide. I found this lack of baseball to be unsatisfying.

While this movie does a great job of showing what type of man Cobb was and Tommy Lee Jones delivers a great performance as the baseball legend, overall the movie never lives up to either the character or the actor. It wants to make a statement about heroes and reality, but it never really gets there. Cobb, the movie, isn't great, but Cobb, the man, as acted by Jones, is fascinating
Only the long dead Cobb and Al Stump himself know how much of this is fact and how much is fiction, but one thing is for certain, it makes for a damn fine tale and goes some way to explaining one of the most hated, yet loved, figures in baseball history.
April 23, 2014
Not much to say. Cobb was a horrible person, and this film isn't much better.
April 10, 2014
Un film qui se gêne pas pour présenter une légende sous son vrai jour !
March 18, 2014
The one baseball scene is incredible! But it was too tongue in cheek for my liking
½ February 6, 2014
Ty Cobb is in the top five of the greatest players in Baseball history. In fact, he was the first man elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, but there has never been a film about his life. While Cobb was a great baseball player and one the toughest men to ever live, he was also an outspoken racist, who was quick to fight anyone, including his wife and kids. In 1960, a dying Cobb contacted sportswriter, Al Stump to ask him to tell his story. That is what I thought this critically acclaimed film would be, but it wasn't. While the title is Cobb, the film is really about Al Stump and what it was like to spend time with the great Ty Cobb, after he'd completely lost his faculties. While it wasn't the film I'd hoped it would be, Tommy Lee Jones gave the performance of a lifetime. What can you say about Jones that hasn't already been said? He is the best actor in Hollywood and can play absolutely anyone. Jones was very convincing, showing Cobb as a deeply troubled man who covered his shame with outrageous behavior. In recent years, since the passing of Al Stump, many people who knew Cobb have come out saying the book and film were overly exaggerated, but even so, the facts about Cobb are well documented. Cobb is not the film most people expected it to be and it ranks among the biggest flops in box office history. The story however is one you haven't heard before and is performed admirably by an all-star cast. This is not your typical baseball movie, but rather a moving look at a man who was destine to either be a legend or an inmate.
January 7, 2014
My main complaint is that it is advertised as a baseball movie (the poster has Cobb dressed in uniform holding a bat) when in reality there is little baseball to be seen in the film. I really would have loved to have seen more of Ty Cobb's antics on field, but this film has a darker focus. And contrary to what others have written I don't believe Tommy Lee Jones really captured Cobb's persona, but it is a well made film aside from that. (First and only viewing - November 2013)
August 23, 2013
Forgot how much I liked this movie. Still must read the book.
½ July 26, 2013
Have not seen this one since it first came out on video. Tommy Lee Jones is great at Ty Cobb. This is not the typical baseball movie. Much more a dramatic look at the man behind the legend of the greatest baseball player of all time.
May 1, 2013
Great movie, could use more actual baseball in it though.
April 24, 2013
An amazing job by Jones. An incredible movie.