Cobb Reviews

• Oct 02, 2019

Another wonderfully unsentimental and melancholic baseball film that doesn't use baseball to promote the "American Dream," but rather uses one player to showcase in great detail the dark side of that dream. "Cobb" is Robert Wuhl's best performance.

• Jul 04, 2019

I thought that this movie was alright, I am not really into sports movies etc...I do like bios and true stories though.I thought that Tommy Lee Jones did a great job as Ty Cobb shows the man's struggles and his highlights over his time in baseball

• Dec 14, 2018

Decent film. It has a 1970's made-for-TV feel to it at times, and Robert Wuhl, though likeable enough, just seems miscast somehow. As expected, TLJones steals the show. He alone makes this flick a good watch. But it's still not one you'll return to again and again. Ty Cobb was just that screwed up, and the movie bearing his name, for all its fun and interesting points, just seems to not know what kind of tone it wants to consistently set, and therefore falls a couple innings shy of a complete game.

• Jun 04, 2016

'Greatness is overrated.'

'Greatness is overrated.'

• Jan 20, 2016

Often uneven, but Tommy Lee Jones unrelenting portrayal drives the movie

Often uneven, but Tommy Lee Jones unrelenting portrayal drives the movie

• May 30, 2015

"Cobb" offers a towering performance by Tommy Lee Jones, but the accuracy of the life of one of baseball's greats is questionable in this film that has almost no baseball in it, but more focuses on Cobb's off-field antics that include violence and drinking heavily.

• Apr 30, 2015

Not enough of Cobb actually playing ball. It was just old Ty Cobb being an asshole. I was hoping to see young Ty Cobb being an asshole while playing baseball.

• Apr 19, 2015

Jones plays this most unpleasant Cobb with dastard intensity in what is a decent road trip baseball movie.

• Mar 25, 2015

One of those early instances, seeing it when I was probably too young on HBO, when I understood what a low-life asshole was on a screen - and the power of acting to the point where I couldn't take my eyes off him.

• Dec 16, 2014

Ron Shelton's Cobb is a magnificant film that gives insight into the "dark brooding soul" of one of America's Baseball heros. Based on Tyrus Ramond Cobb's biography as written by Al Stump, it paints the picture of a wretched man, who is still today remebered as one of the Greatest Baseball players of all Time. Tommy Lee Jones' performance as Ty Cobb is captivating and often scary as he captures the essence of a truly horrible man. Sadly his performance is unrecognized and is possible one of his best of all time. The film is journey into one man's dark half and a fantastic addition to any collection.