Cocalero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocalero Reviews

April 5, 2013
I'll let you know....gonna watch it tonight.
July 10, 2011
Interesante coom documento historico e informativo pero solo muestra la parte "positiva" de Evo sin cuestionar para nada su carrera. Imagino que ese era el compromiso para dejarse filmar por lo que el documental queda solo como algo intersante de las cosas que uno puede ver en NatGeo o en Discovery.
July 10, 2011
½ March 29, 2011
Documental acerca de la campaña presidencial de Evo Morales en Bolivia.
½ November 22, 2010
It was so boring. Although the title is Cocalero, if youre expecting a look at the cocaleros role in the economy of Bolivia, you'll be disappointed and misled. Title should be Evo's Campaign. It only showed Evo Morales living the life of a regular citizen.
½ October 31, 2010
I wanted to know more about Evo Morales after watching him knee an opponent in the groin on the pitch--my first impression was not a positive indication of this politician's ethics. I got a different perspective in this film; though not a vanity piece, I did see his dedication to the coca unions and the indigenous people of Bolivia. My favorite part was an interview with an elderly man when he said, "The coca fields have a story. We did not turn our coca fields in a drug; the US turned it into a drug. We are innocent. They have come and made drugs out of our sacred leaf. And they are the ones who use it. They are the ones who demand it. We can control the situation ourselves without the US military intervention. . .we can apply our community justice.
March 22, 2010
A very human look at the candidacy and election of the first ever indigenous president of Bolivia. The documentary follows the campaign of Evo Morales starting two months out from election day shining a light on the issues of coca farming, indigenous rights and freedom from the heavy hand of the big uncle to the north. A moving and very personal account with no desire to preach at you, only to show you the power honesty, integrity and courage can have to change the world.
½ December 6, 2009
Es preciosa. Tiene una fotografía fuera de serie. Coloca al espectador frente a un mundo desconocido, frente a muchos eventos que no muestran los medios. Recuerda en momento al cine directo y en momentos al tercer cine latinoamericano. La recomiendo ampliamente.
½ November 7, 2009
pretty well made documentary on EVO. Clearly sympathetic to its subject, but not as much as I expected. Sort of drags when it focuses on one of Evo's cronies.
October 31, 2009
Un docuemental que llama a reflexionar sobre la izquierda latinoamericana
May 4, 2009
Honest and understated. Doesn't have the dramatic tension of "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", but doesn't really need it.
March 19, 2009
Retrata al presidente con transparencia asombrosa
February 18, 2009
Full marks for being truly evenhanded (a rarity for documentaries, unfortunately) and providing an interesting insight into Bolivia's challenges. But it's booorrring. Nothing exciting happens, and there are far too many scenes that simply neither educate nor entertain.
December 23, 2008
I saw this last night. The president of Bolivia has organized the coca leaf growers into a union and got himself elected as president. This is a very eye-opening look at the people on the other side of the drug cartels, the indians that grow it and their point of view.
½ December 22, 2008
Beautiful cinematography, incredible landscapes, real people, impacting.
October 26, 2008
Cocalero is a fine, journalistic account of Evo Morales' road to the presidency of Bolivia in 2005. I was glad that it gave some of the opposition's viewpoints while still focusing on the figure of Morales and his circle of campaigners and supporters.

There is nothing very profound about the film; it is more of a document of what happened. This said, it would be a very useful teaching tool to demonstrate how populism actually work and how populists from the proletariat rise to power, often through unions.
½ September 22, 2008
A rare insight into the base of the MAS movement and the lead up to its election which was the precursor for the events unfolding there today on Bolivia's road to socialism. Well worth a watch even though some people find some parts of it a little bit slow.
½ August 18, 2008
Great documentary that shows how racially divided Bolivia is and that the biggest challenge is to unite Bolivia.
August 14, 2008
interesting, well-shot, eye-opening look at the Coca trade and Bolivian politics.
½ July 21, 2008
A good insight to the man and the movement. It seems like it might just be propaganda for Evo, but gives just enough insight to allow for a man to appear in the story. What it fails to do, and what Evo will be measured on, on the world stage is if his integrity is a transferable trait, not just something for which he is revered. A good snap shot of the time. We wait for the tale to be told.