CS Blues (Cocksucker Blues) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

CS Blues (Cocksucker Blues) Reviews

½ March 7, 2014
É interessante espreitar o caos de droga e sexo associado a uma digressão dos Rolling Stones em 1972, mas um filme que me fez adormecer duas vezes deve estar a querer dizer-me qualquer coisa.
½ July 4, 2013
It's rather dull watching skanky hippies smack up with their tits out. Worth seeing only if you're a Stones fan really, and only then just about.
July 4, 2013
With the exception of some great live musical numbers, this movie is just a bunch of gross people being gross.
½ May 20, 2013
The only Rolling Stones film that I've seen that gives you a real insight into the myth of the band. I've read books so I had an idea but you somehow think that things were exagerrated. This film really tells all. I feel that some of the sex and drugs scenes were unnecessary, particularly as a lot of them only involved the entourage rather than a "Stone" in person, but I expect that they were the only scenes allowed to make the cut. This is a must watch for any stones fan, it's the only visual insight we have to the dark side of the band.
August 12, 2012
There are a few transcendent moments of sound and image within this cinema verite stew of hotel room conversations which forms the backdrop to the Rolling Stones' 1972 tour of the US. Yes, there are sex and drugs and a general decadent vibe (who thought it was a good idea to keep the cameras running?) but no narrative thread appears and we never get close enough to anyone to begin to identify. A few live numbers spruce things up, but everyone seems to be marking time between them.
February 21, 2012
Notoriously blocked from official release, "Cocksucker Blues" follows the matured Rolling Stones at the peak of their onstage powers: the expansive 1972 tour, supporting the landmark "Exile on Main Street" album.

Presumably inspired by the guerrilla style of D.A. Pennebaker's "Don't Look Back," "Cocksucker Blues" has choppy editing, erratic sound and lots of handheld camera work, and treats live performance as a mere sidelight to the group's backstage antics. Musically, the footage includes exciting chunks of a few classic songs (particularly "Midnight Rambler," "Happy," "Street Fighting Man" and a chaotic "Uptight/Satisfaction" medley with guest Stevie Wonder), but the prime focus is on depraved action away from the spotlight. Such scenes feel like re-edited home movies, with no direct interviews and plenty of trivial chat which provides little character insight. Given this casually voyeuristic tone, the film's highlights can be ticked off like a frat party's code violations. We see shooting up. Cocaine. Naked girls. Roadies gone wild. Mick Jagger's ass. Keith Richards throwing a TV out a window. A getaway trip to a pool hall. A woozy room-service call which botches the simple act of ordering fruit. Glimpses of Truman Capote, Andy Warhol, Tina Turner, Dick Cavett, Terry Southern, Bianca Jagger and Ahmet Ertegun. There's also a charming snatch of impromptu, New Orleans-style piano from Richards.

Surprisingly, what we don't see are the other three Stones. Charlie Watts and Mick Taylor are just occasional shadows flashing into view, and the ever-mysterious Bill Wyman scarcely appears at all.

"Cocksucker Blues" easily deserves a public release, but the depiction of heroin use was presumably the dealbreaker. It doesn't transcend its genre in the way "A Hard Day's Night" and "Don't Look Back" do, but it's a treasure for the classic-rock set.
August 29, 2011
Yes, there's a lot of sleaze ... an extraordinary amount actually ... but there's also the larger context that goes a long way towards explaining why the sleaze is happening. There's also some extraordinary concert footage.
½ October 17, 2010
Banned Stones film... dirty warts 'n all Rock 'n Roll!!
Keith & Mick snorting coke & shooting heroin, Mick rubbing his cock, groupies been fucked and a TV being thrown out the window... quite shocking and you can see why its banned, but it shows the Stones at their peak (touring Exile On Main Street)
Must for Stones fans!
January 10, 2010
I feel very lucky to have gotten the chance to see this and not a bootlegged version. Interesting perspective of a band on tour. It's difficult not to be mesmerized by a young Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. It wasn't quite as shocking as people had made it out to be before I saw it but still pretty intense none the less.
December 23, 2009
For the hype that built me up for this, it wasn't bad at all. I really don't understand why it has a court order against its public showings...
½ October 8, 2009
This is not quite what I was expecting. I was expecting lots of groupie sex and lots of drug taking. What I got instead was Mick Jagger masturbating and Bill Wyman on an acid trip on the Dick Cavett show. Still it has some rather worthwhile scenes in it. Like Keith Richard for no reason at all throwing a tv out a hotel window. Or Mick Jagger taking a road trip of America and getting lost and then getting bored and annoyed. Some of the random shit that pops up in this film is interesting. if only to show what it is really like to be behind the scenes of a big time rock band in the early 70's. Robert Frank, the director, was a great photogapher and his book of photos called "The Americans" was a interesting book. He also did a bang up job on the album cover "Exile on Main Street" but an interesting director he turned out not to be. Still it feels risky watching this movie when you know The Rolling Stones have done everything in their power to stop this film from being seen anywhere.
October 2, 2009
This film is the epitome of Sex, Drugs, & Rock N roll. So much so, that the stones had it banned from ever being released. There is some truly depraved stuff in this film. I wish I could explain it, but I can't. The copy I saw was nearly colorless, and the audio was terrible, but my eyes didn't lie and what I saw was quite... odd. The musical sequences are great through, as it was right after "Exile on Main St." was released.
½ September 2, 2009
Given the reputation of The Rolling Stones' debauchery and drug use, it's surprising that they sued to suppress this chronicle of their Exile on Main St. US tour in 1972 -- Mick Jagger told director Robert Frank, "It's a fucking good film, Robert, but if it shows in America we'll never be allowed in the country again." A cinema-verite mix of b&w, colour, stage footage and lots of backstage action (including open drug use and sex with groupies), watching the film makes you feel like you've gone on a four-day heroin bender with Mick and Keef and ended up passed out in a bordello with Anita Pallenberg draped across you. We see Mick snorting coke, Terry Southern in a hotel room rambling incessantly, drug paraphernalia strewn across the coffee table, Keith Richards shuffling around like a zombie, Mick Taylor unconscious most of the time, needles going into arms. Filmmaker Robert Frank (a noted photographer whose work graces the Exile on Main St. cover) wisely chooses to focus on more backstage antics rather than the concert footage (with the exception of Stevie Wonder joining in on a rousing Satisfaction, their performances are pretty sloppy). In fact, the entire film evokes perfectly the mood and content of the Exile album (my favourite Stones record). But Frank is not a Maysles and the film's formlessness and lack of any structure becomes frustrating. Even if you are not a Stones fan, however, it's a vibrant document of the dark side of perhaps the important rock band of its era, at their creative peak, and well worth watching.
August 23, 2009
the most famous underground film of the rock era, it's available in bootleg form of varying quality and on youtube. it's messy and depressing. the limited concert footage is worthwhile; the rest is a portrait of unglamorous life on the road. all the usual rock star cliches abound and were perhaps first seen here, including rampant drug use, groupie orgies and tossing tvs from windows. it's pretty graphic. the boys already seem bored and it's hard to imagine how they've kept it up for almost 40 more years. of interest mainly to fans who want to see mick stroking himself, keith nodding out and various hangers-on behaving badly.
½ August 20, 2009
This has surfaced online recently and it's definitely worth seeing if only as a historical document and as a means to stick it to the Stones. It's mostly just a cocky rock band doing what cocky rock bands do behind closed doors -- nothing extraordinary -- but it has its moments.
July 5, 2009
Here are the Stones in their prime, the 1972 US tour, defining the lifestyle of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The audio quality is poor, the film is disjointed, but it is interesting to compare the Stones here to their almost too polished, contrived personae in Scorcese's "Shine A Light". Give me the 1972 Stones anyday.
½ August 26, 2007
It's good to see at least once for the on camera pussy eating and Keith Richards sitting around playing cards while listening to Merle Haggard's 'If You've Got Time To Say Goodbye.'It is pretty much home movies filmed in the hotel rooms. A lot of junkies around and naked people.
August 13, 2007
I want to see this film soooo bad... I doubt that I will be able, due to the Stone's only allows Robert to show one screening of this film a year. It follows the behind scenes of a stones tour, at the hight of their debauchery. I guess it paints them in a particular light they'd rather not revisit, remember or allow availability to the mass public.
May 29, 2007
So thats why they look so bad!