Code 46 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Code 46 Reviews

½ September 29, 2012
The main character, played by Tim Robbins, is a enhanced gestapo officer sent to find out who's been messing with the government issued allotments and ends up falling in love with the woman that done did it, cheating on his wife in the process and messing up his perfectly government run life

If ever there was an advertisement for the globalist agenda this is it. Somehow it manages to romantise a totally distopic future.
It is suggested that something big and terrible happend to humanity and a superpower took over, leaving the people with:

Small time corruption
Controlled reproduction and genetics, designer babies and forced abortion i.e. eugenics
Government issued memory wipes
All manner of biometric identfication
Total government surveillance
Plenty of creepy closeups of eyes and references to Egyption mythology
Controlled mega-cities including restricted travel and compact shit appartments
Vast wastelands outside these mega-cities where all the rejects house
Corporate fascism
Designer viruses

Apperantly it's a global government that has left the future populus with such blessing, cause everbody speaks a weird mix of Chinese, English, Spanish, Indian, Arabic and French

Apart from all this great freaky distopic creepyness it's a pretty boring movie, the love story might be interesting to those that are classicly schooled, but it's pretty damn slow and not very rewarding on an emotional level. All in all I feel that it's all just another vehicle for globalist propaganda.
August 7, 2012
Well crafted setting, believable environments, but fairly drab characters and storyline.
½ July 28, 2012
A BBC Film that I strongly recommend.
Could the future be like that?
½ July 27, 2012
I think this movie was inconsistent and a little strange in a negative way.
½ May 31, 2012
Its sterile ultramodern backdrop and dialect are original but the characters are soullessly flat.
May 27, 2012
Different, but dull.
May 25, 2012
a arty vehicle for a sensitive rape scene. Nice set up, great music, thematic trainwreck.
½ May 3, 2012
It's not your typical sci-fi - people who want a film centring itself on the ideas and technologies involved in the near future setting will (and I see, have been) disappointed. It is primarily a love story, or at least a human story, it's setting feels believable because it is almost coincidental. None of the technology or ideas are 'explained' to the audience as with in most sci-fis which has led some to say that they don't go anywhere, or aren't fully explored. I think to say this is to misunderstand the film - those ideas aren't actually what you are supposed to focus on; it's the protagonists feelings and experiences that matter, not whether the code 46 law is right or wrong, not whether there is a corrupt government behind it all, or some great conspiracy to be unraveled.
All in all a film well worth watching - I was amazed I hadn't heard of it before today! It has it's flaws, but they are minor - a little 'arty' for want of a better word: a few shots seem to be there just because they were possible, or they looked good, rather than for actually adding anything to the film. Nowhere near enough to spoil a good story though. 4 1/2 stars.
½ April 26, 2012
First off, it would have been a lot easier to like this movie if I connected with the main characters relationship in any way. I didn't, and that took me out of much of the movie. It was an intriguing concept, but painfully underdeveloped at times. The slow moving plot didn't help it's cause either. Basically, it's a shame because it could have been much better.
½ April 24, 2012
Thunderously plausible, acted and directed/ produced with mastery.
April 9, 2012
Underwhelming pseudo-futuristic story with some nice ideas but just doesn't go anywhere....
March 20, 2012
so weird movie, I would like to have that future in our lives
best scene: Samantha's blue eyes
½ March 16, 2012
i really enjoyed this dystopian look ahead from director winterbottom. loved the mick jones karaoke scene and natalie mendoza's small supporting screen time as well. favorite line: i miss you.....
March 12, 2012
De la comedie romantique de science fiction... Ici le futur proche dans lequel evoluent les personnages est riche et "plausible", et les themes abordes plus complexes que la simple histoire d'amour qui sert de fil rouge. Par contre l'histoire en elle-meme n'est pas des plus prenantes, vraiment dommage ...
March 10, 2012
I wouldn't mind having 'Code 46' erased from MY memory.
½ February 7, 2012
I think this movie was inconsistent and a little strange in a negative way.
February 3, 2012
The concept has great potential. Especially, the mix of all languages spoken. However, most great movie require a plot of some sort. Code 46 did not have one.
January 27, 2012
One of my favorite movies, interesting concept and realistic take on a near future society. Very enjoyable if your into dystopian sci-fi.
½ January 16, 2012
C'est toujours avec un réel plaisir qu'on accueille chaque spécimen de SF intelligente, ceux qui font passer les idées et la réflexion de fond avant l'action et les effets spé c'est avec une déception attendue qu'on constate qu'en général, la faiblesse de leur budget les oblige à revoir à la baisse leurs ambitions de départ. Dans cette production britannique, le fameux "code 46" du titre, c'est une loi qui exige que tout couple ayant le désir de procréer subisse un test médical afin de vérifier la proximité de leur bagage génétique. Après de nombreuses années de clonage sauvage et non contrôlé, manquerait plus que madame ou monsieur possède la même ADN que maman ou papa ! En pratique, "Code 46" se voit vite obligé de recentrer son scénario sur une romance impossible entre un inspecteur mentaliste et une fraudeuse de passeports qui s'avère justement être le clone de la maman du premier. N'allez pas chercher d'implications oedipiennes là-dedans, l'unique enjeu tient au fait qu'en cas de découverte des galipettes, c'est la taule. Cette simplicité scénaristique est d'autant plus regrettable que le film distille au compte-gouttes la vision d'un univers extrêmement travaillé : novlangue à base d'anglais, d'espagnol, de chinois et d'arabe, mégapoles ultramodernes séparées par des no man's land livrés à eux-mêmes, mobilité internationale restreinte et hyper procédurière, implants biomédicaux augmentant les compétences humaines, ce futur dystopique aurait mérité d'avoir les moyens nécessaires pour s'exprimer pleinement.
½ January 9, 2012
It has a lot of potential and could have gone a lot better.