Coffee and Cigarettes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coffee and Cigarettes Reviews

August 20, 2014
A clever Jim Jarmusch film that is centred around Coffee & Cigarettes.

All the short segments are clever & filled with clever dialogue. Each segment is fresh & filled with flair.

The sequence at the end is quite likeable & surprisingly touching...
August 12, 2014
A fantastic film not only celebrating the value of casual conversation, but humanizing the celebrities, and rock stars to a level where they in themselves are not the untouchable beings we imagine them in tabloids, and magazines. in this film, the celebrities become normal people having some coffee and cigarettes. Iggy Pop, Bill Murray, and Jack white among others, these icons of popular culture become dissolved into the rest of the world in this film. this is the grimy, boring, but somehow humorous nature of Coffee and Cigarettes
July 24, 2014
The Jarmusch visual tone is not enough to make up for the sometimes tedious, vapid conversation. Filmed occasionally of the course of many years. For some interesting trivia, hop over to IMDB
July 14, 2014
Jim Jarmusch's collection of short vignettes of odd and unique conversations between people ranging from the bizarre to the celebrity and shot over several years is utterly fantastic. It is hilarious, with great conversations between the White Stripes, Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan, Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni, Iggy Pop and Tom Waits, and my personal favorite of Bill Murray as the RZA and GZA's waiter. Each short segment is pretty good in it's own way, and with the fantastic black and white cinematic look as everyone drinks coffee and smoke plenty of cigarettes...it is a wonderful watch.
June 28, 2014
2 stars, horrible movie. The only good scene was with Bill Murray and Wu-Tang
June 15, 2014
Jarmusch's films prove that his last film "Only Lovers Left Alive" is a sin!
April 18, 2014
I do not know what they were trying to do with this movie but they failed miserably! Awful garbage and waste of talent. Ken K.
February 16, 2014
Most of the conversations are great, but a couple of mediocre ones hurt the film a lot.
January 22, 2014
A series of vignettes based around one of the simple pleasures in life, the combination of coffee and cigarettes. One only needs to see the cast Jarmusch has assembled for this experiment to be at least intrigued. And while some vignettes are inevitably funnier and simply better than others, this experiment whilst simple, from its concept to its mostly static black and white photography, is largely effective and enjoyable. That is because Coffee and Cigarettes is still able to surprise with the element of improvisation and lack of a sense of direction, as well as some great chemistry between its players.
January 16, 2014
1hr & 36 minutes hanging out with some interesting characters.
December 16, 2013
Hipster, hipster, hipster. Y me encanta. Cada secuencia por más banal que parezca da un toque único a todo el conjunto que es el filme. Aplausos a la secuencias de nombre "Cousins?", y "Champagne".
December 6, 2013
hard to judge as a whole - some of the vignettes are either
lacklustre or overdone, while others (notably kate blanchett's) are phenomenal.
½ December 1, 2013
Utterly pretentious rubbish.
½ November 7, 2013
De entrada parece una película demasiado pretenciosa de Jarmusch, pero ciertamente es encantadora simplemente por los actores-personajes que aparecen en ella. La fotografía es hermosa
October 10, 2013
Some interesting conversations and some not so very.
cosmo313
½ August 19, 2013
A compilation of short vignettes filmed between the mid-80s and 2003, this is Jim Jarmusch's stylish, lo-fi ode to casual conversation over and about the title vices.

Shot in crisp black and white, what we get are 11 short scenes featuring 2-3 celebrities in each that consist of them sitting around conversing about various topics while they partake in coffee and cigarettes (or, in a couple of cases, tea...but even then the talk is about coffee).

Some of the scenes are a bit dull, even boring, but thankfully the next one isn't too far off. It starts out a bit slow, but gets better and better as it goes on. I didn't like the Tom Waits and Iggy Pop segment as much as I thought I would, but I loved the Cate Blanchett, White Stripes, and Steve Coogan/Alfred Molina segments. The one with the Lees and Buscemi is good, too.

Even if some of the bits are a bit dull, at least the music throughout is consistently awesome. Some of this is really funny, and maybe even a bit profound at times even. Even if this is uneven, I am a big fan of what this film is about, as I have personally spent countless hours doing the same stuff as the people featured here. I think that's why I wanted to see this to begin with, since that was before I became a confirmed fan of Jarmusch.

All in all, this is a relaxed, cool, and unique little piece of work. My score is admittedly based somewhat on my bias, but that shouldn't deter you from checking this out for yourself.
August 14, 2013
pretty good, the rza/gza/bill murray one was the best
½ August 6, 2013
I know it's somewhat supercilious of me but I love brewing up a pot of coffee in the afternoon and watching this movie. If I smoked, I'm sure I'd fire one of those up as well. A greatest hits album for Jarmusch.
July 30, 2013
Some genuinely excellent and/or funny moments get lost amongst the self-indulgent drivel. Interesting, but not a good film.