Coin Heist Reviews

• Jul 18, 2019

Could have been so much better. I don't blame the young cast for this flop. The dialogue is terrible, but despite that, the actors showed some spark of talent.

• May 28, 2018

Obviously the blonde is pregnant? Took away from the cuteness of a bunch of misfits stuck together .... ya know?

• Apr 20, 2018

Strengths: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love a good heist film. In some ways, this one reminded me of The Perfect Score, mostly due to the cast being high school students. I liked the twist on the usual heist film, in that this wasn't specially robbing a bank. These kids came up with a well thought out plan to break into the US Mint and didn't do it for selfish reasons. Jason (Alex Saxon) has a solid story arc, considering his father was the headmaster who embezzled, so it worked as a redemption of sorts. The scenes at the Mint were very well done. From the initial recon scene being tense to the actual break-in being filed with obstacles, they worked. Weaknesses: The movie gets too tied up in teen romance. Jason and Brainiac Alexis (Alexis G. Zail) had one, while popular Dakota (Sasha Pieterse) hooks up with blue collar Benny (Jay Walker). I understand the need for romantic side plots, but they become too big a piece of the overall puzzle and it ultimately bogs everything down. I found it weird that the bad guy, President of the Board Mr. Smerconish (Mark Blum), doesn't really get his comeuppance. He set up the headmaster to get in trouble and in the end, ends up with a nice chunk of change. You've also got to question some of the realism in this. These four high schoolers invade this government building with next to no security, getting past them with the greatest of ease. Overall: Like The Perfect Score, this high school heist film has some charming moments. It lacks some basic logic points and has a few too many romantic moments shoved in at strange times, but still features enough to make it worth checking out at least once.

• Oct 29, 2017

what happens when the headmaster of a private school gets caught emblessing the funds for the school and 4 students decide to make their own quarters because of course there is an united states treasury building just blocks from the school to make priceless coins to be sold in auctions to again make money so the school wont close.

• Oct 15, 2017

The movie is so wrapped up in its generic teen romance with no chemistry between characters that it stales its formula and drags on a cartload of cliches to compensate for its half attempt at a heist movie

• Oct 13, 2017

Everybody was excited for this, right? So this is about a student at a Philadelphia prep school (Alex Saxon). When his teacher father gets arrested for embezzling, his school is essentially next to bankrupt. He has to assemble a group of fellow students to do the impossible: rob the U.S. Mint to save the after school programs. Now for some reason that I am not abundantly certain of, this became a running joke of excitement between my wife and I when the trailers for this started popping up on Netflix. I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised, as she was a Disney kid through and through growing up, and this was very much advertised like Disney movie. Not a theatrical Disney release, mind you. A Disney Channel Original Movie. This is like The Avengers meets the very tired "save the rec center" plot. All of these kids have their own specific thing that they bring to the table, and they are going to have to learn to work together if they want to make this heist happen. There's the incredibly smart kid that ends up being the gadgets expert, the small girl who is inexplicably great at hacking a la Jurassic Park, the charismatic girl with moxie and the scrappy leader with nothing to lose. It ends up being both predictable and implausible, but you could probably guess that without me telling you. There is also not a lot of care in the science and logistics behind this (surprising, I know). Even if you can get past the security of a government building being so subpar that high schoolers can thwart them without problem, you have to believe that they have the know-how to run extremely heavy machinery that likely requires way more than just four people to operate. These are actors that don't look like high schoolers, and after having just so recently watched the show American Vandal that pulled off that feat excellently, it is something that really stood out for me. Also, the lead guy isn't that great of an actor, and the supporting cast ends up outperforming him, albeit slightly. On a base level, there is something about heists that are always at least a little exciting, and that is marginally the case with this as well. Still, Coin Heist wraps up overly neatly to be satisfying, and there's no real reason to watch this.

• Aug 05, 2017

Glaring plot holes and a rushed plot ruin what could have been a great family film.

• Jun 15, 2017

Tiresome with very very low stakes, no humor, & too much melodrama

Tiresome with very very low stakes, no humor, & too much melodrama

• Mar 26, 2017

I couldn't finish it honestly.

I couldn't finish it honestly.

• Feb 21, 2017