The Cold Equations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cold Equations Reviews

June 19, 2017
Looks like this is a movie based on an incredibly good short story written by Tom Godwin and first published in Astounding Magazine in 1954. Excellent plot that shows how really bad decisions can be made while not knowing crucial facts. It tells a tragic tale in which two protagonists have to face incredibly hard decisions for which there is no perfect choice. I hope the movie will did justice to the original plot and did not twist it into some kind of lame "all ends well" story. I'll see.
½ April 12, 2015
This made for TV movie is based on a 1954 short story, by Tom Godwin, in Astounding Magazine. It addresses the difficult moral and ethical issue of what to do when an innocent life must be sacrificed in order to save other lives. Like the story, the movie doesn't pull its punches and come up with a happy ending.

This isn't Star Wars or Alien, so don't expect gun battles or monsters. The drama here is the interaction between two people struggling with emotional, moral and ethical issues.
September 1, 2011
I had my classes watch this movie after reading Tom Godwin's short story with the same title. We used it as a discussion about the simliarities and differences between the two.
January 18, 2010
read the book, but never seen movie
August 8, 2009
Although somewhat low budget in make, this movie is an excellent thriller with an excellent ethical theme!
December 10, 2008
well written in sci fi staring Bill cambell, no action per se but an amazing story and moving drama, in a compelling sci fi setting!