Cold Fish Reviews

• Dec 08, 2018

What a crazy, insane, crazy, insane, crazy, insane movie. There were so many major twists, each one of the shocking variety. I'm so glad someone from r/horror recommended this to me. Theres tons of gore, tons of blood, but if its possible at all, it still has a great story and the gore/blood is needed to express that fully. It really drives home the point of what's going on. The antagonists are awesome, you hate and despise them so much. The protagonist (i think) is even better because you really feel empathy for him. In typical j-horror fashion the acting and dialogue is way over the top, but it totally fits right into the blueprint of this movie. Even with a very long run-time (144min) its very exciting, suspenseful and interesting, from beginning to end. Definitely watch this movie without seeing a preview or reading a description.

• Jul 27, 2017

Well shot with an escalating plot that bathes in violence, pain. But there is drama, characters and a family (Sono's favorite target) to be seen as well. A "snapshot of aspects of life" movie that does not disappoint.

• Jul 11, 2017

Loosely based on a true story, this film sees a struggling couple who own an exotic fish store jumping at the chance to have a seemingly kind, older gentleman who helped them when their daughter was stealing continue to do them favors, but soon enough, he starts making requests in return. This includes hitting on the other man's wife and forcing the husband to help him dispose of a body, all of which builds into some truly strange twists by the final reel. Great little film, well worth a look. Sion Sono has yet to let me down.

• Nov 12, 2015

The rat becomes dangerous when it's trapped in a corner, because it's the only solution it has. And that's exactly what happens here when Shamoto, the main character, knows he lost everything he has ever had, one way or another. A mix between drama, thriller, horror, splatter and sexual components, wonderfully acted and directed

• Oct 15, 2015

Another really good effort from Sion Sono, I'm really enjoying most of his movies so far. Like his others, Cold Fish is very over the top, and while I think some of the other movies of his I've seen were supposed to be funny in a satirical way, with Cold Fish the humor translated overall better for me, and it comes across mostly as a dark comedy for me. Looking at the movie poster just now, it strikes me how similar it is to the poster of Straw Dogs, and thinking about it Hoffman's character from that film reminds me a bit of Shamoto. Both start out as timid, "civilized" modern men that throughout their respective movies are driven "to the edge" through events mostly out of their control.

• May 13, 2015

The assets of the film can be considered average in most moments, it builds up what it's supposed to and concludes. About 4 locations for the whole plot, you're not going to see any extras around, which gives a sense of emptiness but you won't feel confined into it. Very provocative and instigating moments of gore can be considered its pinnacle.

• Dec 25, 2014

Grotesque...funny :)

Grotesque...funny :)

• Nov 17, 2014

???????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

• Sep 14, 2014

Director Shion Sono delivers with razor sharp precision, with witty brilliance, gorgeous cinematics, strict attention to detail, and plenty of blood..... the movie combines your typical genre of thrillers, fantasy, grindhouse, classic, and horror and combines it into something unique..... from the gorgeous, strong brutal intellectual dialog to the utterly phenomenal acting job from Mr. Shamoto and Mr. Murato, this is a movie you must watch...

• Aug 28, 2014

Dark and disturbing in a way you just can't get with horror movies.

Dark and disturbing in a way you just can't get with horror movies.