Oberst Redl (Colonel Redl) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oberst Redl (Colonel Redl) Reviews

March 25, 2013
Klaus Maria Brandauer is great!!!
½ February 7, 2010
This largely forgotten movie deserves serious attention. Apart from the outstanding performance by Klaus Maria Brandauer, the plot is a deeply fascinating tale of the capricious behaviour of governments towards their loyal subjects. In that respect, the theme is much the same as that of the more recent masterpiece "Der Untergang" (Downfall) from 2004.
November 2, 2009
Very good, no dramatic music!! Confusing storyline though.
August 22, 2009
This film stands in the shade of the actor and director's previous collaboration on Mephisto. Redl is more complex and therefore less pure and arresting than the relatively simple story of Mephisto, it's aim to wide and scattergun to make the impact it desires. The irony of Redl being both promoted and then ruined for political reasons because he is an insider remains interesting, but Redl is a hard character to truly invest in, despite the fact we are clearly intended to, and his tragedy at the end is therefore less moving - and interesting - than it should be.

However, Brandauer is truly exceptional - why did he not have a better career in film? - carving every slice of Redl's complex, manufactured personaly with a loving skill. Very strong support from Niklas and Mueller Stahl as the men who both personally and professionally betray him and Szabo's direction is tight even if the length of the film is too much.

A thematic companion piece rather than a stand alone classic, but it has moments of inspiration.
August 8, 2009
PAN AND SCAN. Una obra maestra. La evolución de la historia y de la psiquis del protagonista están trabajadas de forma acaso perfecta por el director Istvan Szabo y el actor Klaus Maria Brandauer, quien ofrece una actuación a la altura de las mejores. La mezcla de una atmósfera suntuosa con un montaje ágil y eficaz crean una combinación perfecta para ilustrar el cerco de corrupción y posturas que se cierne. / A masterpiece. The evolution of the story and the protagonist's psyche is worked perhaps perfectly by director Istvan Szabo and the actor Klaus Maria Brandauer, whose performance here ranks among the very best. The combination of a sumptuous atmosphere and an agile, effective editing mix perfectly to illustrate an operative encirclement of corruption and postures.
April 10, 2009
won best Foreign film from BAFTA and was nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes and oscars
November 26, 2008
Yeowsers this film is masterful. The most powerful ending to any film I've ever seen.
September 2, 2008
Everyone's smiling in the beginning. Redl is the Colonel of a real tragedy. Despite being a great Austrian nationalist, the odds of his heritage and homosexuality were against him and in the end there is only the scrap of a man who pushes others away as much as they push him away. But I was laughing at the Archduke's final scene!
July 16, 2008
The most unforgettable ending of any film Ive seen. Proved by the fact that I havent seen it since it first came out.
June 22, 2008
mephisto, y redl, necesarias ... de lo poco que nos llega
½ May 18, 2008
A masterpiece of the 7th art. Brandhauer's performance as Col. Redl is outstanding. One of my ten favorite films.
½ April 15, 2008
A very brave film, as it is a war film without a single shot being fired, rather focussing on the bureacracy of the military and life within the fin de siecle melting pot that was the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Brandauer plays Redl perfectlly, one of film's bizzarest and unlikeliest lead characters. Colonel Redl is an ethnic minority, workaholic drudge, a yes man and desk warrior who rises up the greasy pole of the Austrian army.

And yet he conceals a far more mysterious, even sordid side that eventually leads to his own and his country's destruction in the First World War.
April 10, 2008
I'll eat an Irish grape farmer's Scottish terrier before I watch this eggnog-o-rama.
February 24, 2008
What a fantastic film. Well worth tracking down. Mephisto is a great film , too
October 12, 2007
Branduer is the real thing. Very potent exploration of corruption and ambition played out with every opportunistic driven moment.
October 5, 2007
Best German actor ever. Burst into tears again! My favourite of all the series... Mephisto and Ramussen also fantastic because of this fantastic actor.
½ September 28, 2007
The set is convincing; the cinematography is powerful yet not showy; the acting is extraodinary, the scipt work is intelligent & insightful; and the director successfully holds all the above together. The film has claimed all my appreciation. I left out a half star because when watching this film, very often I feel it from the first person perspective, while the information I got was more like from a third person perspective... Maybe I basically just wanted to see more about the unexpected yet convincing turns in Redl's life. A warning for those people who may imagine it as a hollywood-style drama. It's NOT. the plot is dramatic, but the film is playing a low key,
September 20, 2007
A really good film that I remember liking a lot thanks to Brandauer who as usual is astonishing
September 16, 2007
An astonishing film (based on actual events) and a performance that has left me in awe of Brandauer.