Color Me Blood Red - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Color Me Blood Red Reviews

½ November 22, 2015
The last of Herschell Gordon Lewis's gory low budget films of the "Blood Trilogy". It was alright, i enjoyed the film. The acting isn't always that good though and the blood effects are super shity, but that's why it isn't a bad idea to see this flick. The atmosphere, espacially near the end of the film is nice. Recommended !
½ October 9, 2015
The weakest of H.G. Lewis's early blood trilogy. It doesn't have the charm of the terrible Blood Feast and it didn't have the fun of the quirky Two Thousand Maniacs. This one is mostly well-acted. Not saying much, but it's easily the best of these three movies. The main character is intriguing, but a little too much depth to him that I don't think H.G. Lewis knew how to handle. This movie had the least amount of kills and it felt like the least amount of blood. Because of this, it really drags (especially in the middle). The boat scene was great and early on it had a lot of promise, but near the end you kind of want it to be over. It just wasn't a movie you can really laugh at because it's not that poorly made. Though there are several stupid moments where the camera is way out of focus for lengthy periods of time. But that doesn't really make for an enjoyable bad movie. It just makes a bad movie annoying. I say it's worth a shot if you want to see all of H.G. Lewis's movies, but I would be quicker to recommend Two Thousand Maniacs before any of them.
July 22, 2014
Who cares about the lack of gore in the final installment of Herschell Gordon Lewis's "Blood Trilogy"? It entertains me greatly. The story, the witty script and the kitschy sets make this my favorite of the three. Lewis may have been the Godfather of Gore, but out of the 39 feature films he has directed in his career, only 9 of them are in the splatter/gore genre. And even though I'm a horror geek at heart, I have always preferred his smutty, tawdry films that make up the vast majority of his filmography. And Color Me Blood Red is a perfect balance between tawdry and macabre.
March 11, 2014
The acting talent is notable by its absence. The pacing is at times sluggish - some shots linger on, seemingly endlessly. The music is insane - like the soundtrack to Bewitched transported into an exploitation movie. The effects aren't terribly convincing but not too bad either considering the budget. However, all the negatives have to be accepted as part of the Lewis style. His films have an unpretentious trash aesthetic, which makes them somewhat fun, despite their deficiencies. Having said all that, Color Me Blood Red could have been a little more outrageous. It is a bit light on the gore. And in a movie of this type, that is not the best. I recommend it to those interested in the history of horror and anyone with an inclination to trash cinema. I'm pleased I've seen it. But once is enough.
October 31, 2013
A kooky artist discovers the joys of painting with blood and goes on a murder spree..It's not bad just not very good.

This reminded me a lot of the low budget Roger Corman movie A Bucket of Blood..that too delt with an artist that killed people for his "art"
March 21, 2013
The type of thing that I would have loved to see at a drive-in.
½ February 2, 2013
His third gore film in three years, COLOR ME BLOOD RED is the last of the three pictures that make up Herschell Gordon Lewis' original 'Blood Trilogy.' It is also the most sophisticated of any of his films, and one that is likely his most personal. It tells the tale of Adam Sorg, a struggling artist that only finds success after he begins painting in his victims' blood! The theme of the tortured artist is taken to absurd new heights (or lows, rather) in this gruesome black comedy. Lewis instills his frustrations with his own lack of critical acclaim through his preferred medium, while commenting on how his only means of receiving any recognition in film was to include more blood and gore. Surprisingly, COLOR is even more visceral than either of the other entries in the series, containing everything from the disemboweling of a model to a brain-splattering shotgun blast to the face. Gordon Oas-Heim also provides an intense performance as the lead, closing out the thrilling climax with a bang! While it rarely ranks as a favorite among fans, this truly is one of Lewis' better films.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
June 2, 2012
The 3rd film in the blood trilogy.
July 12, 2011
H. G. Lewis' third in his "blood trilogy" is a tale of a struggling artist who discovers the missing ingredient in his work is human blood. Once he creates a painting soaked in blood, he starts receiving accolades from the art community and sets out to find more sources of his new found "paint." Though conceptually this is a compelling film, it suffers from some serious pacing issues - in other words, it's slow as hell. Adam Sorg stars as the artist, Don Joseph, and his performance generates the most laughs in this flick as he is completely over-the-top. The plot is rather easy to predict and Lewis offers little to surprise anyone. What's worse, there is a significant less amount of gore in this one compared to the previous two of the trilogy (maybe three scenes worth mentioning) and it's not near as festive as the awesome Two Thousand Maniacs. The real problem though, is that Lewis only wrote enough for about 20 minutes worth of film, but this sucker runs on for 79 - it's full of padded scenes wheere nothing happens. The score is pretty hip and the acting is its usual: awful and laughable, but it just doesn't measure up to his other work.
June 17, 2011
I was disappointed at the amount of blood in this movie, I really expected more. And I was wondering, wouldn't his painting stink after while? And then no one would buy them. Anyway, the story is pretty good, and the main character is a creepy painter. But overall, this movie's not that good, it's just okay.
½ May 26, 2011
The final chapter in H.G. Lewis's "Blood Trilogy" is probably the weakest one, but still enjoyable. It's basically a remake of"A Bucket of Blood", but with blood as paint instead of dead bodies as statues. This one is also pretty gore, with sharp objects like harpoons piercing flesh, people getting shredded by a boat propeller, and others. There's also some shenanigans on water bicycles, if you're into that kind of stuff (I know I am!). It's not as entertaining as Two Thousand Maniacs! but it's still fun to watch. The kills (as stated) are all mean and gory, which adds to the reason I like this. Maybe the best thing about the movie is the closing line. It's completely random and thoughtless, and is sure to create an awkward moment.
January 17, 2011
Herschell Gordon Lewis was known for starting gore and now the 3rd part in his blood trilogy Color me blood red is my second favourite movie by him and of course Two Thousand Maniacs is my favourite horror movie. The director himself would go on to inspire Japanese director takashi mike with his ultra-gory flicks like Ichi the Killer and Audition and even Takashi himself is a fan of Herschell and his all-time favourite is Blood Feast.

An eccentric artist is panned by a well-known critic at his opening for not having a good color sense, so he starts a new series, using his own blood to paint. Soon he is weakened and must find other sources of blood to continue his paintings. So he starts abducting women and starts using their blood to paint his new Masterpiece of blood and gore.

I liked the story but it can be slow moving that's a fact but overall any fan of these movies would love it and the story is nothing but torture and gore, The whole trademark of Lewis. The acting is dread awful even in the trailer it's seen besides the gore and the narrator says COLOR ME BLOOD RED again and again. But then again it's funny to watch and I loved the female lead nothing but corny yet entertaining lines. The special effects were shocking for its time and are still brutal today besides how flat they are these days, The again I am not a CGI fan when it comes to this stuff so overall passable. And the music lyrics are awesome.
Here are some facts I found.

Director Herschell Gordon Lewis cited Roger Corman's A Bucket of Blood (1959) as the main inspiration for Color Me Blood Red.

Filmed and completed in early 1964, but remained on the shelf for over a year over production, editing, and sales release issues after producer David F. Friedman terminated his business partnership with director Herschell Gordon Lewis.

Shoot on a budget that's estimates around $50,00 dollars.

Overall my 2nd favourite by Lewis and my final verdict is recommended for this 60s gore feast.
½ January 7, 2011
The type of thing that I would have loved to see at a drive-in
December 26, 2010
A struggling artist turns into a genius after beginning to use blood as his paint. Grade D, Low-Budget film. However, it doesn't pretend to be something more. Not a brilliant masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but bizarre enough to be watchable. :)
June 12, 2010
After BLOOD FEAST and TWO THOUSAND MANIACS David.F.Freeman and Herschell Gordon Lewis produced this final so called instalment in the "FREEMAN/LEWIS BLOOD TRIOLOGY". Now the first two films had the presents of a playboy playmate called connie mason who seriously made Blood Feast and 2000 Maniacs seem even worse , thankfully this blood film is free of her but even with out her this third blood movie its still just as bad and campy as it predecsssors.Why? its herschell gordon lewis so called direction that ruins these films. Honestlly he can wirte better theme songs like the Theme for 2000 thousand maniacs better than he can wirte and direct. Anyway this film is all about an artist called adam that finds that much needed color for his paintings a nice shade of red paint that flows though our veins , Blood ,Human Blood that makes this pyshcopathic artist paintings seem that much better. After adam brutaly kills his parnter and paints with her blood stained corspes his art dealer, an eledrly art buyer and beatnick crtitc can get enough of his nice and bloody images. So since its a gore film from HGL the rest wirtes itslef, Adam gose around killing people for their blood untill the art buyers daugher offers to pose for this homicdle artist and since herself, her boyfriend ,and thier freinds are the films heros of this blood stained film expect the same old perdictble ending.

On a final note despite BLOOD FEAST , TWO THOUSAND MANIACS ,and COLOR ME BLOOD RED being so poorly made they do hold alot of historical signfiance due to them being the fore runners of the gore and splatter genre, in fact the Horror Genere owes a bit to these slocky low bugdet gore films for giving the modern audaince really graphic scenes in our modern films. On another note Color Me Blood Red marked the turning point for the carrer of Herschel Gordon lewis who would go on to make diffent films which would lead to the grindhouse era in indepent cinema like SOMETHING WERID , THE BLAST OF GIRLS (which stared Colonel Sanders), JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT ,SUBRBAN ROULTEE,and other gore films like THE GURESOME TWOSOME , THE GORE GORE GIRLS AND THE WIZARD OF GORE , oh and also he would complete MONSTER A GO GO which is one of historys worst movies ever.
final mark for Color Me Blood Red 4/10 another so bad its good movie.
½ May 20, 2010
One of HGL's weaker films
littlecharmer1959
½ April 21, 2010
Too slow and not enough gore to be as good as Blood Feast but it still has some fun moments, including anytime the crazy beatnik couple are onscreen.
'Dig that crazy driftwood!'
½ December 7, 2009
bold cultish movie, has the quality of a cheap pulp novel and the actrattiveness of smart use of the color RED in the film (blood + costumes) , characters are slightly peculiar, its all about red blotches of paint or blood and odd murders! MUST SEE
November 20, 2009
Outstanding! The easiest to watch but my second favorite. The nerdy couple makes me smile every time I watch it.