The Color of Money - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Color of Money Reviews

½ September 4, 2016
It just left me feeling trolled. It could have been so good, but instead it was cheesy and overlong. And then there's that bullshit ending.
August 27, 2016
Just a perfect gem of a movie that I can watch over and over and it never gets old.
½ August 13, 2016
Not even close to the movie "The Hustler" was, the dialogue is so bland and the movie is so hollow that you forget you're watching something by Martin Scorsese.
June 19, 2016
Todo un clįsico del cine y una de las obras cumbres de Scorsesse.
May 30, 2016
I like this movie way better than The Hustler. That movie was depressing. This movie kicks ass.
May 15, 2016
"The Color of Money" boasts fantastic performances from Newman and Cruise, and it's formulaic nature makes it all the more appealing to viewers. You can't help but be entertained.
April 9, 2016
Being a Paul Newman fan, one of my favorite characters is Fast Eddie. Scorsese does wonderful painting a vivid and gritty story that continues that of the Hustler. Cruise plays a phenomenal jerk, or "incredible flake" as Fast Eddie calls him, to create a great dynamic. If you've never seen this, watch it. If you've only seen parts, watch it. If you've seen won is twice as sweet as money earned.
March 30, 2016
top 5 scorsese, period
½ February 8, 2016
Among many other things, what makes Martin Scorsese a brilliant director is to take a reasonably familiar premise and turn it into something original and new. The Color of Money ranks as one of Scorsese's most overlooked but, perhaps, shouldn't be due to the fantastic performances and the director's eye for detail.
½ October 11, 2015
Scorsese's adaptation (in name only) of Walter Tevis's sequel to his novel "The Hustler" is not a bad movie, it just doesn't particularly feel like a movie Scorsese was all that interested in making. Newman is great, and although his Oscar is kind of a career Oscar, he still carries this pic. I'm not generally a Tom Cruise hater, but he's just coasting in this film. Not bad, but never as appealing as he can be. There are some instances where the Scorsese spark seems to take hold, especially the way some of the pool games are shot, but he can do so much better than this.
½ September 1, 2015
Watched this on 1/9/15
The Color of Money is a highly entertaining and underrated film from Scorsese and it's a wonder how the director was able to turn Billiards or pool into such an engaging game. The direction and cinematography are utterly flawless and compared to other sports films, Color of Money primarily talks about money, winning it and much more rather than the stereotypical look on ethics and all. The movie is just a showcase of the talents of stars Paul Newman( my first Newman film) and Tom Cruise. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is an eye candy, but has nothing to do here and it's a wonder how she got an Oscar Nomination.
August 14, 2015
The color of money was watchable movie I thought paul newman is who saved this movie because I thought tom cruises character ruined it for me he was to cocky
½ May 30, 2015
Martin Scorsese as a director never fails to entertain and with this movie he does just that. Unlike the departed where you're almost always at the edge of your seat this warrants a "sit back and watch the show" reaction. The mind game as it slowly unfolds, however is full of rewarding twists for the viewer.
½ May 17, 2015
Adequate but lacking sequel. Soooo many montages.
½ April 29, 2015
Probably the best pool game flick, but it seemed to swerve a bit much and momentarily lose sense of what's happening.
March 21, 2015
A minor Scorsese movie but still a good one. Tom Cruise gives a great performance holding his own with the performance that finally won Paul Newman his Oscar. Scorsese does a nice job directing it and it is well written but a movie about pool can only be so entertaining
March 15, 2015
Not one of his best, but Scorsese has still crafted a really entertaining movie full of great performances.
January 21, 2015
#236b - Loved this film when i first watched it and love this film now i've just watched it.......and Cruise is tolerable to.
December 21, 2014