The Color Purple - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Color Purple Reviews

½ October 29, 2016
Was ok . Liked the sly humour
½ October 3, 2016
The Color Purple is an extremely emotional movie with powerful performances from an amazing cast and brilliant direction from Steven Spielberg. The film is swiftly paced and has a perfect balance between emotion, suspense, and comedy that makes it very easy to sit through and get immersed into, even though there is a long run time.
September 25, 2016
I have never felt so much emotion in my heart while watching 'The Color Purple'. Whoopi Goldberg proves herself to be more than just an expressive comedic actress with the role that put her on the map for future stardom (and an Oscar win for 'Ghost'.) Steven Spielberg also is a master of his craft and has proved once again to be a great director that still churns out films to this day.
½ September 19, 2016
I know there are certain scenes of The Color Purple that I have seen in the past but this is probably the first time I watched it from start to finish. The film is a powerful piece about an abused woman who lives her entire life in submission to the men in her life, always longing for the innocent love she had for her sister before things transpired that tore them apart. Danny Glover made me hate him, which is something I never thought would be possible, so his performance was outstanding. Whoopi Goldberg is simply spectacular as well, because she is able to convincingly portray the range of emotional events that Celie goes through. Because of the time it came out, and an apparent attempt to make a movie for the masses, The Color Purple is a bit sanitized. They gloss over some of the darker moments, and only loosely imply a lesbian relationship. I, personally, don't think that weakens the message all that much but I could see some people feeling like it makes the film inauthentic. The movie is a hard watch even with the toned-down abuse. I was emotional more than once, and the ending wrecked me completely. That strong connection I had with the story is why I think it still holds up to this day. The film is also a visual masterpiece, with dozens of images that are iconic, and the music from Quincy Jones matched the tone well. The Color Purple is not the kind of film I'd watch all the time, but it is well-crafted and worth watching at least once.
½ September 12, 2016
I have seen this movie a few times and just caught it on TBS and decided to watch it again. This movie is beautiful. Filled with emotions from sadness, loss, anger, revenge, hope, love and happiness. The music fits so well in heightening the emotions. This movie has a lot of soul and if you don't like it I'm convinced you don't have one.
September 6, 2016
Since I was a little girl I have always loved this movie
August 31, 2016
This is a great film and arguably one of Spielberg's best films. I've heard a lot of people saying that this is an overly sentimental film, but I completely disagree.
August 6, 2016
10 out of 10:

Well acted and beautifully shot, The Color Purple delivers a sweet, poignant, and occasionally funny movie.
½ August 1, 2016
Much like Spielberg did with Jaws, this is a clinic in how to keep your audience engaged but off guard, countering the terrifying heaviness of the early 20th century black experience with beautifully whimsical visuals and surprisingly adept humor. Glover is terrifying, but the use of shadows and silhouettes reminds us that these people were shrouded in a history of such darkness, their oppression kept them from being their full selves. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: Oprah should act more.
July 14, 2016
Rich with emotion and stellar performances, this classic American portrait is a life journey that's solidly handled by Spielberg, but definitely not for the young.
July 8, 2016
Steven Spielberg smothers Alice Walker's Pulitzer-winning African American triumph novel with sentimentalism and unnecessarily lengthy, slow-burning scenes. But, this story of an African American women living in an age ruled by traditional gender norms and discrimination is powerful, nonetheless.
July 6, 2016
One of the most heartwarming stories ever told! It's a shame this Oscar-nominated film never won any award from different categories. The film itself is based on the book by Alice Walker. It represents how one woman's life becomes an epic struggle to find redemption for 40 years.
½ July 3, 2016
Overly sentimental, still that won't drain out the film's fine performances delivered by Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey (in her debut role). "The Color Purple" is definitely one of Spielberg's greats and he tackled several themes that filmmakers of today are afraid to handle. It's funny, it's crowd-pleasing, and it make you believe in humanity again. One of my favs.
June 8, 2016
Superior acting and writing ... Such a touching story that I can watch over and over again through the years!
May 25, 2016
When you think of 80's Spielberg you think friendly aliens, adventurous archaeologists and escapist magic, but the 80's was also when the berg started to get blockbuster fatigue and wanted to be taken seriously, so he went about the ambitious task of adapting Alice Walkers The Color Purple for the big screen, a difficult book that many balked at the idea of a white man directing, especially a white man primarily known for popcorn flicks (clearly these fools never really paid attention to the sheer mythic force of his storytelling) the movie of The Color Purple can be a bit Narratively uneven but it's powerful and richly told cinema all the same, and it's also the film that introduced Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey to the world. Concerning the brutal and cruel life of Celie (Goldberg) who is sold to a proper bastard "Mister" (a terrifying Danny Glover) at a young age to bow to his every rotten whim, and is separated from her sister Nettie along the way. It's a tough watch but is made palatable and watchable by the truly terrific performances from Goldberg, Winfrey and Margaret Avery as the glamorous Shug, and by the rich, detailed gorgeous filmmaking from Spielberg. True, the movie can be a little bit overwrought and overblown but the master filmmaker injects every frame with life and power. Bold and tough but ultimately moving and beautiful, told with intoxicating vividness. This is a gem. Also, get your hankies ready.
½ May 24, 2016
About 20 minutes into this movie I kinda thought I would spend a majority of the film rolling my eyes at the cheese and piles of cliches thrown in but believe it or not I was completely won over by it!
The performances are stellar across the board, Spielberg delivers on the gorgeous shots, and the story's brief musical moments are a real highlight. It may not rank in the highest echelon of Spielberg's film library but it's definitely worth people giving it another look.
April 4, 2016
The Color Purple é um drama de época que ficou marcado como um clássico do cinema, produzido por Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, Quincy Jones e Frank Marshall. Baseado no romance de Alice Walker, Menno Meyjes adaptou para o cinema esse que era a oitava direção de Steven Spielberg, estrelado por Danny Glover e Whoopi Goldberg com participações de Oprah Winfrey e Margaret Avery. O filme teve onze indicações ao Óscars, quatro ao Globos de Ouro e uma indicação ao BAFTA, apesar das inúmeras indicações só recebeu um Globo de Ouro por melhor atriz de drama entregue a Goldberg. Lançado em Dezembro de 1985 o drama mostra os problemas de mulheres afro-americanas enfrentados durante o início do seculo XIX, incluindo a pobreza , o racismo e o sexismo. A direção de Spielberg talvez seja a base solida do sucesso, o ritmo constante e cruel leva as personagens para um espiral de dor e sofrimento, sem esperança de qualquer melhora, os atores comprometidos leva o publico ao desespero com um realismo desconfortável.
March 19, 2016
One of the best movies not to win all of the Oscars it was nominated for. Whoopi Goldberg and Margaret Avery are sensational.