Come Live with Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Come Live with Me Reviews

½ September 7, 2014
Hedy Lamarr is a beautiful Viennese refugee who's about to be deported, but then marries American James Stewart so she can legally stay in the country, and romance and comedy ensue. It's a lightweight bit of fluff, but it's awfully charming, mostly thanks for Lamarr and Stewart. Quite enjoyable!
½ August 7, 2014
Such a lighthearted movie. :)
½ April 16, 2013
"i bet it never happen to fireflies" owww watta sweet heart ^^
July 5, 2012
james stewart and hedy lamarr have fantastic chemistry and the scenes they are together are the strongest of the "come live with me". however, the film never tries anything original and is rather formulaic all through out. though it's not without a handful of genuinely sweet and funny moments.
½ June 27, 2012
This movie is OK. It is fun to see James Stewart so young. The story has been done before though - a marriage of convenience occurs, and the couple has to decide if that is all they want.
½ August 25, 2011
Really put a smile on my face!!
August 9, 2011
Both adorable and hilarious. I laughed out loud and smiled like a goof. A lovely film. It does drag a little in a few places and Hedy Lamarr isn't much of an actress, but that really doesn't matter.
½ January 20, 2011
Thursday, January 20, 2011

(1941) Come Live With Me
ROMANTIC COMEDY

This is one of those movies where viewers already know what the ending is going to turn out when the right guy is going to get the girl but are unbeknowist about what can the movie offer viewers in the middle! Very relevent in these current times about young beautiful immigrant Johnny played by actress Hedy Lamar scheming her way to be an American citizen of the United States by marrying someone at random, in this case happend to be Bill played by James Stewart and then divorcing him later just so she can be with an already old married publishing tycoon whose working to get a divorce from his understanding wife!

There's a stereotypical notion that movies of old, especially black and white contain characters that're unrelated and old fashion since technology has inhanced over the years! But by watching this film wouldn't appear that way because while I was watching this, the old geezer portrayed in this film reminded me metaphorically of an old Playboy founder Hugh Hefner whose fighting for the affections of a young beautiful young lady with an average dashing young man whose about the same age as her in which the only thing that was holding him back was money!
The only downside of this film was that this film is way too short for a running time of 82 minutes because the rapport between Lemar and Stewart was an absolute delight to see wanting me to see more!

Gem!

4 out of 4
January 11, 2011
"Time Heals All Wounds" and James Stewart does too!! What an edgy movie in it's day!
November 15, 2010
A fun romantic comedy to watch. Stewart was charming and funny as always, with Hedy Lamarr playing a great complement to him. The scenes with Stewart and the other man (Ian Hunter) were always funny to watch.
November 13, 2010
James Stewart and Hedy Lamarr are the reason a fairly typical romance movie like this forgotten gem is able to work. They both have screen presence to burn. Clarence Brown directed some pretty good films, but this one is mostly a triumph of casting.
neffielee
May 23, 2010
A light, charming romantic comedy. James Stewart and Hedy Lamarr seem like an unlikely couple, but they sparkle just like the summer night sky filled with fireflies (there's a cute firefly story in the film). A marriage of convenience that turned into much more is not original, but with Stewart and Lamarr at the helm, it's beautiful.
April 11, 2010
½ October 25, 2009
Thin on plot romantic film won me over because of the charisma of its stars. I think I could watch Jimmy Stewart read the phone book and be riveted. Hedy Lamarr is simply beautiful. What especially won me over was Verree Teasdale's nuanced performance as an underappreciated wife of a philanderer who we are never meant to pity.
September 29, 2009
Just a Great Classic Film - God I love Jimmy Stewart
½ June 30, 2009
The story of a woman who has to marry an American man in order not to be deported back to her home country goes back to 1941 with this movie and probably further back from there. This was a fun B-romance comedy upon its release starring the always great James Stewart as well as Hedy Lamarr as the illegal immigrant woman, and it's still a fun B-romance comedy today. It can be dull at times, revealing that it hasn't aged well, but at a running time of under an hour and a half, it's worth a view for those who enjoy these actors.
½ August 15, 2008
A perfect date movie for the film was extremely cute. The romance was perfect, and Jimmy's acting as always was fantastic.
July 3, 2008
james stewart plays a good hopeless romantic role in this...hes also the envy of everyman, setup with a girl that he never sees except for when she gives him his monthly allowance...nice.
½ June 29, 2008
Wow, this movie was just too cute. Jimmy Steward, Hedy Lamarr, Grandma... just too unrealistically cute, but entertaining, no less.