Come Back, Little Sheba - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Come Back, Little Sheba Reviews

½ August 9, 2016
Still packs a pinch more than 60 years later but somehow the ending is unsatisfying. Is it too pat?
Shocked Doc allowed to call his wife a slut, twice!
The young cast threaten to steel the movie from the Delaneys especially as you don't feel Shirley Booth's character really grows throughout the film. In that sense her role is pretty one-dimentional. And Lancaster just doesn't look the part - he is too good-looking and young. As a couple they don't seem to fit. I wished you could see the years of self-abuse in the Doc's physique. Despite this, Lancaster is subdued and asexual for most of the movie.
August 9, 2016
Fucking masterpiece.
March 9, 2015
I am perplexed that so many Flixster reviewers misunderstand this movie. It's about coming to terms with disappointment and making life worthwhile. Not just Lola (Shirley Booth's character) but all the film's principals are forced to face up to an emotional crisis, move past it, and get on with their lives. Of course the power of a movie is determined by how compellingly it tells a story. The story here is well worth the telling, and it is well told.
December 3, 2014
My best and favorite movie
I love it...!!! Never tire of watching
this beautifull heart felt movie.
5 star rating.
June 26, 2014
super creepy film...i need a shower after this.
April 18, 2014
Nothing explodes, no one gets killed and there is no trace of CGI. All we have is a very beautiful story, beautifully played. Shirley Booth's portrayal of Lola Delaney is the kind of performance you savour every line of. The 15 minute mark, where little Sheba is first mentioned is so sad you'll carry the dialogue with you forever. Shirley won a well deserved Oscar for this fantastic performance, and it isn't hard to see why.
January 26, 2014
Perhaps the most moralistic movie I've ever seen. Lancaster is too far away from his tough guy image for it to be worth a watch.
November 2, 2013
one of the best of several fifties booze obcessed melodramas like 'The Wet Parade"
November 19, 2012
I was sort of dissapointed. Burt Lancaster was miscasted in this. And Shirley Booth, well, she does give us a human and honest performance, but when I go to watch an "Academy award winning performance" I expect more. Much more.
½ November 29, 2011
Drama familiar sobre um alco√¬≥lico em recupera√¬ß√¬£o vale sobretudo pelo papel fenomenal de Burt Lancaster, que merece a lenda que tem muito √¬† custa de desempenhos como este. Aquilo que parece ser uma hist√¬≥ria simples vai ganhando contornos mais interessantes √¬† medida que o universo do casal √ (C) invadido por uma jovem e por algumas quest√¬Ķes bastante complexas. Mas foi mesmo a conten√¬ß√¬£o e a transforma√¬ß√¬£o de Burt Lancaster que me agarrou ao filme.
February 22, 2011
Shirley Booth delivers a knock-out performance as Lola, the loyal but chatty and overweight middle-aged wife of former alcoholic Doc (Burt Lancaster). They just let a room to a beautiful college student Marie (Terry Moore) who attracts the attention of the horny star athelete Turk (Richard Jaekel). Doc sees Turk as being no good for Marie, but being attracted to Marie himself, Doc finds himself frustrated at his old age. A very honest look at aging and how things turn out versus how we thought things would turn out. Wonderful story by playwright Inge with terrific performances.
November 19, 2010
Shirley Booth was an accomplished broadway actress and her role as Lola in William Inge's, "Come Back Little Sheba" was also her film debut. She won Best Actress Academy Award for this performance. The genius of this movie production was paring her with Bert Lancaster. It worked so well and added to the 'meat' of the story. The physical and intellectual gulfs between these two characters were bridged by love, need and I guess today we would call it co-dependence.

It's a tight and simple script brought to perfection by both Booth and Lancaster. If you like the 'old stuff' you will find this movie worth viewing.
March 1, 2010
Oscar win best actress Shirley Booth
August 20, 2009
A bleak film, but extremely well written and very moving. Shirley Booth gives a tour-de-force performance and even outshines Burt Lancaster. She deservedly won an Oscar. Well directed, good photography.
August 15, 2009
Heartbreaking film.....Booth is excellent.
½ April 12, 2009
Shirley Booth was amazing in this movie, I think one of the great screen performances.
January 18, 2009
Shirley Booth, Best Actress, 1952, as "Lola Delaney" in "Come Back, Little Sheba".
December 12, 2008