Come See the Paradise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Come See the Paradise Reviews

½ June 8, 2015
Good, but could have been great.

Details one of the shadier acts in US history - the internment of Japanese-Americans in camps during World War 2.

Quite moving. You share in the injustice of the situation.

However, pacing is uneven. Spends much time building up this event (not overly so, though) but then speeds up towards the end, skipping some details and diluting the effect.

A more powerful movie would have concentrated more on the internment camps. A bit too schmaltzy too.

Good performances all round.
April 28, 2014
Written and directed by Alan Parker, who had just come of Mississippi Burning (1988), which showed a dark chapter in American history, Parker shows another dark chapter of America in the 20th Century, but this is one that a lot of people don't know about, and it's unbelievable that the U.S. Government approved something like this, but it makes for a good romantic drama. In 1936, cinema projectionist Jack McGurn (Dennis Quaid) moves to Los Angeles from New York, after being involved in union activities. Looking to lie low, he takes a job as a projectionist in a cinema ran by a Japanese-American family, led by Hiroshi Kawamura (Sab Shimono). Jack falls for Kawamura's daughter Lily (Tamlyn Tomita), and they marry, and have a daughter Mini (Elizabeth Gilliam). However, when war breaks, Jack ends up joining the army and Lily and her family are caught up in a much worse fate, when they're sent to a Japanese American internment in remote California, set up by Congress after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. You can't believe something like this actually happened on American soil, but it did, and the history books usually fail to mention that this happened. Parker's film should have brought this matter to public attention again, but the film sadly sank without trace, which is a shame, as people should learn what America did to their own.
½ March 19, 2014
a touching love story and an interesting look at a part of World War 2 i've never seen in the movies.
½ October 20, 2013
Though it may not go far enough with exploring Japanese-American prejudices, Parker's WW2 drama is still a fine piece. With terrific performances from Quaid and Tomita, one of Randy Edelman's best and most moving scores, and terrific cinematography that makes the most out of the film's by-and-large domestic setting, 'Paradise' makes for gripping, if not always deep or powerful, entertainment.
½ May 29, 2013
I really like this movie a lot! I will admit that that it takes a bit of time to get really good, but if you stick with it you will see a great movie with great characters, strong plot, nice setting, and many other things that are just straight up good! There are a few problems, like the pacing at the start of the movie, but i can still recommend this to anyone who wants a good movie about what happened to the Japanese americans during WWII!
½ May 23, 2013
A love story set against the internment of Japanese Americans following Pearl Harbor.
½ November 10, 2012
A rare glimpse on the identity crisis of Japanese American citizens when WWII broke out. Do they renounce their motherland which they may not have being to? Or do they pledge loyalty to America and to go on the warfront to kill Japanese? Who are they? Americans or Japanese? Neither land welcomes them. The romance in the central plot is the painful analogy.
½ July 29, 2012
A good drama portraying racial tensions Japanese Americans, and their families, faced during World War II. Really good movie. Early days of Dennis Quaid....some really great acting here on his part.
½ December 14, 2011
½ June 5, 2011
Decent film. Sight of Nate Doggs in film is always good.
½ January 6, 2011
a textbook example of a fifty-fifty movie. the idea is generally good and noble. storytelling is classical and sometimes goes into melodramatic tone, but some other solutions are more than good.
the story starts with jack, a labor union activist who must run from new york to los angeles, where he finds a new life. his leftist beliefs will put him from one trouble to another during the whole movie. he gets involved with japanese american community in little tokyo, and gets married with lily, a daughter of a japanese industrial. they have not so idyllic life (they have no acceptance from her family, and society in general), but their days of heaven are over with the breakout of the WWII...
this movie treats one of the biggest and darkest issues of american politics: the concentration camps for japanese americans (there were no camps for german or italian americans). a perspective of the movie can be a problem. lily is the narrator, but perspective is not her, it's jack's, and that could sound as a politically correct preaching. but it's not like that. dennis quaid's perfect acting is there to make us believe that he is personally involved with the situation, and it is one of the best solutions, but the function of the narrator has gone obsolete with this.
the rest of the movie is kinda expected. recommendation for the fans of high-key larger-than-life stories. recommendation for the others if they find it on TV. not worth bothering otherwise.
November 7, 2010
Alan Parker is known mostly for his controversial films about prejudice and racism in history, and although he makes them well, why is "Come See The Paradise" already a forgotten film? Japanese Internment camps in WWII is one of the darkest times in Japanese and American history, and a subject barely mentioned in either countries' history books, and Parker brought it out to the light in his 1990 film, focusing through a white American man who falls in love with a Nisei Japanese-American girl in the late 1930's. But when Pearl Harbor is bombed and all people of Japanese desent are hoarded off to secretly located internment camps, the two are doomed to never be together again.
August 4, 2010
(1990 Director: Alan Parker) Seems there were a few movies made about hush hush accounts of the internment of Japanese living in America in response to WW II! This film is one; another is Snow Falling on Cedars, though in a less underplayed way. As I tell my son this is NOT a war movie yet in the stories of the peoples lives in this film they are IMPACTED by the war.

Just watching this movie (Netflix rental) tonight. I have awaited its arrival & been looking forward to it! Wished to see it both for the actors & its themes & wondering how it was handled--released in 1990 (filmed at the end of the '80's "Me" generation] Both sides of this cd-rom have film--the main movie on one side; the flip side has directorial comments, video images & much more.

This is a very sensitive handling of the racial & nationalism issues of the 1940's just pre-bomibing of Pearl Harbor set when this very unlikely pair met. Irish Projectionists' Labor Union attorney Jack McGunn (Dennis McQuaid) well versed in the Wagner Labor Relations Act. Jack is ousted because he disapproves of the dirty politics and is forced to move to Los Angeles to stay with his brother (Colm Meaney-Star Trek) and meets through his modest job as projectionist for a private theatre in Little Toyko the beautiful Lily Wakamura (Tamlyn Tomita) seamstress & daughter of a modest Japanese family living in Little Tokyo (Los Angeles).
July 21, 2010
Good not great love story using the internment of the Japanese during wwII. Love story so-so, shedding light on the treatment of the Japanese during this time is the heart of the film.
November 22, 2009
seems like a intresting movie..:)
August 7, 2009
This is one of my most favourite movies in my life, I saw this movie when i'm kid rented from the shop. So touching and now almost 19 years and i still remember the theme and the story especially happened in the war period. I didn't knew the true name of the actor and actress. Now i knew it's him that catched my eye. Wanna find this movie in the shops but can't find it at all...where can i get this DVD again...still searching at least i can keep to watching it again and again.Thanks i finally fine out this movie here....generate a lots of past memory for me. thanks!
July 13, 2009
For some reason when I was a teenager this was a top rented movie for me. In retrospect I still really like this movie. It's a great sweeping love story and a really interesting insight into the Japanese-American experience during WW2. And, frankly, Dennis Quaid is super hot as a labor lawyer romantic hero in this movie...
January 6, 2009
this is one of the greatest movie I ever saw in my life and I recomand it to all
November 16, 2008
Not the best film around, but a really good depiction of what happened to the Japanese Americans in WWII. From what I know of the camps, it is a an accurate depiction of what they were like. I think it is a must see film just because of the topic.
August 12, 2008
Thought this was long and slow, just thought it would have been a little more to the story......but still enjoyed it.