Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne Reviews

September 14, 2016
ROSEANNE was one of many sitcoms I watched growing up, so the idea of roasting her seemed like a good one. She certainly has had a crazy/interesting life. Sadly, despite a mostly amazing dais, this roast didn't quite live up to what it could have been. Like the Donald Trump roast, they let her off easy. I mean, where's Lisa Lampanelli when you need her? Is she too big for these roasts now? Still, I was pleased with the talented people they picked. Anthony Jeselnik and Amy Schumer were my favorites out of the newer crop of comedians, while workhorse Jeff Ross was good as usual. Non-comedians Ellen Barkin and a hilariously self-deprecating Carrie Fisher also acquitted themselves nicely. Gilbert Gottfried? I didn't like that he was the last roaster to go before Roseanne herself took to the mic. I also only laughed at his material by sheer force of will? It was like Stockholm Syndrome, but with jokes. Yelling obscenities is more annoying than funny, in my opinion. Even though this is a comedy special, I won't spoil anything, but there was a touching moment where you could feel the love. And, as a comedian, Roseanne gave as good as she got, and better than Bob Saget, I might add. Still, despite not quite living up to its comedic potential, the roast of Roseanne Barr is certainly one of the better ones.
½ July 20, 2014
7/10
It was good, gilbert rips her apart
February 15, 2013
This was just awful. Far less comedians and a bunch of old women spouting off about menopause and stupid shit like that. And Ellen Barkin made Courtney Love look like Mother Theresa, she was so doped up on meds. I didn't even watch the whole thing, I probably switche it over to the burning log channel which was by far much more interesting
February 12, 2013
Roasts are just fuckin brilliant. Especially this one. Has a surprise in it.
December 23, 2012
haha I loved it. Bunch of fat, ugly, old, and cornball black jokes...
½ October 21, 2012
Not one of the better comedy central roasts. However The Roast of Roseanne will be remembered for one of the most awkward moments ever to be filmed. Towards the end of the lackluster roast Roseanne's ex-husband Tom Arnold comes from behind the curtains and proceeds to spend 10 shaky and nervous minutes roasting the woman he hasn't seen or heard from in over 15 years. Some of his jokes were well received, others fell flat, and still others left the audience speechless unsure whether to laugh or cringe. Again not one of the better roasts.
October 7, 2012
Hilarious!!!!!! I love Roseanne!
September 21, 2012
Gilbert Godfrey was hilarious in this one. And to see the real side of Carrie Fisher (of Star Wars fame) was a trip. Oh, and a surprise visit from Tom Arnold! It's nice to see Comedy Central actually roast a comedian instead of these other people who have no real business being roasted. Congrats Roseanne!
September 3, 2012
Oh this was a pretty funny roast for sure good laughs all around one of the good ones