Comic Book Villains - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Comic Book Villains Reviews

½ July 6, 2014
Good idea, lousy ending.
½ June 12, 2014
I was l looking for something to mindlessly watch. This over-achieved that mark.
½ November 19, 2013
As a fan of comics, I was interested in this. Basically, there are two rival shop owners and they are trying to get the 'holy grail' of some old collector who died and left all his comics from years of collecting in pristine condition. They try to buy it from his mom and do chores for her to win her over. Then the film goes from a fairly light comedy to full on Tarantino. It was such a tone change, that the second half of the film didn't do it for me and completely lost me. I like Tarantino films, but it was out of place here. Has a decent cast, but the tone change wrecked this.
½ November 15, 2013
Interesting but flawed look into the world of comic book fanatics. The film starts with five minutes of expository voice over, then continues it as a crutch throughout. Does have a fine young cast.
½ August 3, 2013
It's a nerd-fest to be sure, and while I dipped my toe into that pool of water here and there, there weren't enough 'connections' for me to look past a movie that wasn't as funny as it could have been. It had a semi-interesting premise, but the way it played out didn't really work for me. It was pretty predictable too.
½ April 19, 2013
A great cast and a fair bit better than you'd think.
½ January 22, 2013
Wow, I'm at a loss why this movie's so hated here on Flixster. I'm the first to admit, it's a niche film. But I dig comic books and the lives of comic shoppe owners appeals to me. Fantastic first hour and then I think it's the last half hour which sours people. Even with the tone change though I was still with it. It's all the rage to say Donal Logue is awesome these days with everyone who hated this movie loving "Terriers", but the truth is: Donal Logue is awesome. The rest of the cast also did a pretty great job. Good cast, nice story, time well very well spent.
January 5, 2013
There is a part of me that feels I have to like this movie because I love comics. There is a greater part of me that dislikes this movie because it is a bad movie about comic books. This is poorly written and poorly acted by everyone except for possibly Eileen Brennan. I like most of the actors in this but they were all subpar in this poorly written movie.
December 16, 2012
Stupid. That's is all.
September 2, 2012
This doesn't sound appealing so I will pass.
½ July 10, 2012
Being a comic fan might make someone enjoy this more. But nonetheless, it's about comic fans out to kill each other for a collection of rare comics. That should be funny even to non-comic fans.
½ April 27, 2012
Other comic nerds should find this one fun, flawed and entertaining.
January 13, 2012
I love Cary Elwes and have since I was little, so I sat through this. I shouldn't have. It's mildly funny for about 25 minutes and then just becomes completely useless. It's not quirky or particularly witty, most of the acting is terrible, and even though I usually like her, Natasha Lyonne is unbearably annoying in this role. Not a fan at all and I will not be likely to ever watch this again.
½ December 17, 2011
The synopsis here is wrong. The man doesn't refuse to sell. He died, and his widow refuses to sell his things.
blkbomb
½ July 9, 2011
"Why would you want to leave town? Everything worth having's right here. Raymond's store, Dominoes pizza."

Comic Book Villains is an original and dark movie. Although obviously steered toward the comic book fan; I was able to enjoy it and I've read only around a dozen or so comic books in my life. What makes this movie so likable for me is the cast; it's pretty amazing. Cary Elwes, Donal Logue, D.J. Qualls, Michael Rapaport, Danny Masterson, Eileen Brennan, and James Duvall(Yeah Frank from Donnie Darko). For an independent film that has absolutely no following this is an all-star cast. The plot is pretty straightforward. There are two rival comic book owners trying to get a huge and priceless collection of comic books from an old lady. To do so they try being nice to her for awhile; fixing stuff around the hous, bringing her groceries, but after awhile they see she's never going to sell. The last 30 minutes get a little too crazy for the movies own good, but I still see it as a diamond in the rough. Obviously, I'm in the minority of the few people that have seen it.
June 17, 2011
Abrupt tonal shifts, with unsteady characters and a relentlessly unsympathetic ending, Comic Book Villains sores.
½ June 2, 2011
movie about two warring comic stores, fighting over the rights to purchase the ultimate comic collection. it was mildly funny in spots. i just liked it, because it reminded me of the days when i worked at the comic store...great times, great crazy conversations. anytime i smell horrible B.O., it brings me right back to that time.
May 5, 2011
Good performance from D.J. Qualls, fairly silly story , and it is hard to buy Cary Elwes as a tough guy.
½ April 5, 2011
As easy as it was for me to sit back and enjoy the begining of this flick, it was just as easy for me to shake my head at the direction it took. Comic Book Villains is a tale of two films, and they have no business being on the same flexible cellulose material.
½ January 31, 2011