Comin' Round the Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Comin' Round the Mountain Reviews

September 6, 2013
Below-par for Abbott & Costello; Dorothy Shay sings some songs and, in a change of pace, Margaret Hamilton plays a witch.
½ June 5, 2013
a surprisingly weak entry from Abbott and Costello, though the film has its moments. This film is the only great disappointment in their career.
½ July 10, 2012
Pretty average film of theirs. I could've done without all the singing. It seems like every comedy team of the era needed this type of filler. Some of the jokes here were classic though.
½ January 8, 2010
There are probably a dozen or so A&C movies that I like better, but this one isn't bad. I love it when Winfield calls him "Wiiiilbert".
September 4, 2009
A rather lousy entry in the Abbott and Costello series of films. Lou's character learns he has relatives in the Tennessee hill country, and travels there to find an inheritance. He has a bride chosen for him who he doesnt like and there is a rivalry reminiscent to the Hatfields and the McCoys. A couple good routines, but mostly bland. Too much poking fun at country folk.
½ July 29, 2009
I liked this one a lot,
I found the musical numbers good, the plot entertaining and the scene in the witch's house was quite funny along with the love potion mix-up, wedding stuff.

Margaret Hamilton who plays the witch is also The wicked witch of the west from wizard of oz.
½ April 25, 2009
March 16, 2009
Occasional hilarious moments, with the witch's shack (played by Margaret Hamilton of Wizard of oz) a highlight, but too many Dorothy Shay musical numbers bog down proceedings.
February 27, 2009
This one kind of hits home for me. There are hillbillies involved and I live in Kentucky. I've probably met some of those people.
½ January 18, 2009
I thought this was really good. I thought the story was interesting, & it had plenty of laughs. I particularly enjoyed the humour involving the "love potion" as well, & the last act in the mine. Very funny movie.
½ December 27, 2008
Good ending, but not their best.
½ November 18, 2008
A bit of a throwback to their earlier films with the romantic subplot and musical numbers. Margaret Hamilton and Glen Strange are awesome and they never overstay their welcome. The random twist ending is funny and there are few things that can earn a laugh bigger than the take Bud & Lou have during it.
July 16, 2008
This is definitely among the weaker films that Bud and Lou appeared in during the 1950s. However, the ending of this film I thought was hilarious because it was so unexpected and random.
April 12, 2008
Not a huge fan of hillbilly humor, but Abbott and Costello do their thing.
½ March 7, 2008
a good funny adventure costello style
½ December 28, 2007
"WIIIIIIILLLBUURT!!! an the witch, and the love potion, and the voodoo dolls with the pins... a bunch of laughs!!! GREAT COMEDY FOLKS!!!! one of their best!
December 27, 2007
See it for nothing else but the bit with Hamilton. It didn't leave this fan disappointed.
June 10, 2006
Comin' Round the Mountain
Starring: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Dorothy Shay, and Margaret Hamilton
Director: Charles Lamont

When small-time talent agent Al Stewart (Abbott) book up-and-coming nightclub singer Dorothy McCoy (Shay) and talentless magician Wilbur the Magnificent (Costello) on the same bill, the two performers realize that not only are they cousins, but that Wilbur holds the key to locating a long-lost family treasure. So, the trio leave the big city for hillbilly country and riches... only to become embroiled in a reawakened backwoods feude between the McCoys and the Winfields.

"Comin' Round the Mountain" is definately one of Abbott & Costello's lesser films. This is partly because it that is also intended as a vehicle for singer Dorothy Shay. She has entirely too many musical numbers in the film (one would have been plenty), and her talent as an actress leaves something to be desired. I also think the hillbilly humor also hasn't aged well... well, or maybe the jokes just aren't that funny. (Although, paradoxically, part of me feels that if the film had spent a little more time on hillybillies fueding and shooting at each other, and gotten rid of some of the romance stuff, the film might have been funnier.)

Leave this one be, unless you're a tremendous A&C fan who must see all their films before your life is complete.
½ January 17, 2005
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO ON THE WANE, BUT THERE ARE A FEW GOOD BITS, TOO BAD THEY AREN'T MORE FREQUENT.