Common Threads: Stories from the Quilt Reviews

• Aug 14, 2016

A moving portrait of a documentary that focuses on 5 individual stories from the heartbreaking quilt that gives tribute to the tens of thousands who died in the US due to AIDS in front of Washington DC. Not all 5 stories focused on Homosexuals there was story of a child & man who took a drug needle etc. it's so heart-wrenching to hear all these mass stories of loss. Narrated by Dustin Hoffman it shows the human story to the battle of AIDS. A moving documentary that is an important film in documentary history.

• Jun 20, 2013

Given my little knowledge of the social and policy implications of the AIDS epidemic, I found this documentary informative and illuminating. The visuals were beautiful, because the quilts could try to depict what is loving about those individuals who died of AIDS. The only reason I do not give the documentary five stars is that I found Hoffman's narration inappropriate. For me, his voice evokes comedies like "Tootsie" and "The Graduate."

• Jan 27, 2012

Who can't watch this and not be moved.

Who can't watch this and not be moved.

• Nov 24, 2011

probably one of the most moving documentaries i've ever seen. i don't remember the last time i cried so much... glorious and outstanding!

• May 10, 2011

Incredibly moving doc about the enormity of the loss of life from AIDS. Made in 1990, the film still convey a sense of the small moments of grace and the overwhelming heartache experienced by just a few of the loved ones of those represented in the panels of the quilt.

• Apr 12, 2011

Absolutely devastating.

Absolutely devastating.

• Liz < Super Reviewer
    Jan 17, 2011

One of the most devastating documentaries ever made. There is no way to perfectly capture the pain of death, but somehow CommoN Threads seems to perfectly display every painful moment of AIDS. This is a documentary that everyone has to see.

• Sep 22, 2009

Infuriating and touching.

Infuriating and touching.

• Jan 05, 2009

Back when AIDS was a gay disease and something you worried about getting from kissing, this documentary puts a personal face on the misundrestood disease. It also shows what a real threat it was to society and how quickly it propagated. More people should have seen this when it came out.

• Aug 07, 2007

It would be very difficult not to be moved and touched by this Oscar winning documentary. It is very well done, professionally and lovingly piced together and has a very good variety of people interviewed. Exceptional filmmaking.