Reviews

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jan 02, 2017

It draws more attention for the cheesy makeup and how everyone appears fully naked onscreen considering the time it was made (during Brazilian dictatorship with its filthy censorship), but apart from that the film is more a curious history lesson made in a welcome naturalistic style.

• Dec 22, 2013

Very strange film works well as a curiosity, but not much more.

Very strange film works well as a curiosity, but not much more.

• Nov 30, 2012

86% "In this country no Governor, no Bishop or other authority could please God, Our Lord for the evil is much impregnated in the customs."-Father Nobrega

• Dec 29, 2011

I don't care. I don't think it's that good...despite all the nudity.

I don't care. I don't think it's that good...despite all the nudity.

• Oct 12, 2011

NOT a 70's "cannibal horror" film, but a fascinating period piece about a 16th century Frenchman, captured by Brazilian natives who mistake him for one their (and his) Portuguese enemies. Very well done. Touches of humor, but feels almost like an ethnography. Attention to detail, to the point that most of the dialogue is in the native Tupi language. Well worth a look.

• Jan 09, 2011

Reminded me a bit of EL TOPO, as someone below mentions, but far less interesting.

• Aug 15, 2010

How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman (1973) Come Era Gostoso O Meu Frances (1971) short film 80 minutes. Though this is not a documentary it seems like a documentary because of the harsh lighting and some what poor production values ( by todays standards). This is a film that Werner Herzog would have made in 1970. (was he making documentaries then?) Almost all of the dialogue in the film was written in the Tupi language. The actors and actresses who portrayed the Tupinambas wore historically correct attire resulting in a considerable amount of historically correct nudity and semi-nudity in ALL scenes. "How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman" is the first absolutely non-exploitative (not nonerotic) movie I have seen to require almost total nudity from its cast, both sexes. The primary point of the film is to show us the 16th century culture clash of Europeans and native South Americans but because this is a Brazilian film it's impossible to ignore any attendant political criticism of European colonial practices during that period of history (the film-makers should have taken a hearty bite out of the Spanish while they were at it) Excellent film and great look at a world that no longer exists. A Frenchman is captured by the Tupinambas Indians. They want to eat him but decide to keep him for a while and they also provide him with a wife. He adopts and joins their culture. The directors film Vidas Secas also is a wonderful unusual film. SEE MY Lists: I have 5 lists of foreign films submitted for Foreign Oscar best film (by year) I have new list of foriegn films submitted for best foreign film for 2009 (Feb 2010 Oscars) four stars. almost five stars. Fascinating film.

• Aug 15, 2010

This movie is weird. Overkill on the nudity, and underkill on the plot. Has some OK points, but not recommended.

• Feb 12, 2010

Native cannibals take sides as the French and Portuguese fight for control over Brazil. Interesting anthropological movie that could have been really good if the production levels weren't so low.

• Jan 08, 2010

A classic 1970s Brazilian film based on an account by a German who was captive to the Tupi-Namba on the coast of Brazil in the 16th century. Film focuses on the experience of a European captive who knows his eventual fate is to be cannibalized. Although fictionalized, it is not romanticized, and they leave a lot of questions "hanging" -- like, what exactly *is* his wife feeling at the end? Much of the dialogue is in Tupi with subtitles. Extensive nudity, as the actors dress as early colonial Tupi-Namba.