Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Company Reviews

November 21, 2015
Interesting cast, just not my favourite music. The show has charm, but I found the subject matter and the plot less than endearing. It's unfortunate, too, that at times it felt like "Barney Stinson: The Musical!". I'm discovering that my love of Sondheim may be limited to "Into The Woods"... Note that this is a recording of a performance and not a dramatization/adaptation for film. The effect is no doubt more profound live.
August 29, 2015
I love musicals, and I love Neil Patrick Harris. And while I thought the cast did a fine job with what they were given, I HATE this show. I always have, and this production did nothing to change my mind. I got a little more than halfway through it and gave up. After you've seen "Marry Me a Little," there's really no point in continuing to watch.
August 20, 2014
Great cast performance!
June 28, 2014
"Company" is a great musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. The story is presented as a series of vignettes that focus on different couples, all connected by the mutual and lonely friend Robert. I love the music. The film offers a lot of contrasting musical moments, from the impressionist chords at the end of the vocal Overture to the wordy Gilbert-and-Sullivan-like "Getting Married Today" and the emotional aria "Being Alive." Sondheim established a signature sound that is completely unique to this show and I could listen to the music all day. The plot, however, gets a bit darker than I was prepared for. I suppose that the steady theme of marriage discontent should have clued me in but I felt a slight disconnect between the upbeat songs and the progressively depressing subject matter. Still, the show has some great moments and the 2006 Broadway revival emphasizes them. The construction of the show is very cool, putting the pit instruments onstage in the hands of the actors. The choreography often features the instruments, almost as a piece of the character's personality (mellow trumpet, jazzy saxophone). The acting is superb, particularly Raśl Exparza as Bobby. His character begins so nonchalant that builds into an emotional crescendo at the end of "Being Alive." I was also blown away by Heather Laws as Amy, frantically spitting out all of her lyrics with perfect diction, and Barbara Walsh as Joanne during her emotive "The Ladies Who Lunch." Her voice got on my nerves a bit during her final scene, but I suppose that it perfectly embodied her drunken state. It is no surprise that this production won a Tony for Best Revival and we are so lucky to be able to experience this performance of "Company" far into the future!
April 11, 2014
Extremely entertaining rendition of the musical. A must-see
February 7, 2014
Easily became one of my favorite musicals
January 10, 2014
This is probably my favorite musical. It's so under-rated, but I absolutely love it! Great songs, great cast, and great lines. I feel like I can relate to Bobby.
December 9, 2013
Incredibly entertaining, one of my favorite scores.
December 1, 2013
All-star cast; biased as I was at one of the performances at Avery Fisher Hall
October 22, 2012
It was worth the $18 I paid for it last June. Colbert, LuPone, Harris, one heck of a cast and it's one hell of a musical.