Comrades, Almost a Love Story Reviews

• Apr 08, 2020

the best and all-time favorite!

the best and all-time favorite!

• Jun 30, 2019

One of my favorite romantic movies of my life!

One of my favorite romantic movies of my life!

• Jan 05, 2019

One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Simple story but so many subtle and heartfelt emotions captured.

• Mar 29, 2017

8.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2RT

8.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2RT

• Oct 07, 2015

Never knew Maggie Cheung and Leon Lai as such great performers, Comrades, Almost a Love Story shows just how much I have missed out. The acting by the two cast makes this truly one of the greatest romantic Hong Kong movie. What is even more impressive is how it weaves in social political forces around China at the time and am quite impressed at how the story ended in New York. The movie also tries to depict the inner thoughts of the characters successfully.

• Feb 14, 2015

è¿?é?¨1996å¹´é??å?¯è¾?ç??ä½?å??ä»?天å??ç??ä¾?ç?¶ç»?å?¸ï¼?å®?以ç?±æ??为主线ï¼?讲述äº?ä¸?个æ?¶ä»£ç??å??è¿?ï¼?æ?¯è?³ä»?为止å?¨ç?µå½±é?¢ä¸­å?¯ä¸?让æ??æ??å?¨å?°å?­ç??ç?µå½±ï¼?ä¸?å?­æ³£ç??å??å? ä¸?ä»?ä»?æ?¯é?£äº?å?»éª¨é?­å¿?ç??ç?±æ??ã??

• Dec 23, 2014

at first their indecisiveness is cute but it's getting exhausting as the story goes. But as soon as it hits the ending you'll kinda forgive it.

• Sep 28, 2014

Sweet and moving film with lovely Maggie Cheung!

Sweet and moving film with lovely Maggie Cheung!

• Sep 19, 2014

Seeing this film 18 years after I first saw it in HK, with a sputtering print that is almost as old as the film itself, I can't help but feel a rush of nostalgia and so there may be some bias in this review. But even so, anyone can see the flair director Peter Chan has (and his cinematic influences, like Godard, Scorsese, and Schlesinger that shaped his work); the sophisticated and very well crafted script by Ivy Ho that melded the political strand with the romantic strand so seamlessly - even though if one is to be critical, some of the plot contrivances are a tad melodramatic, if not borderline soapy; and of course the sublime performances by Leon Lai and Maggie Cheung, which almost 20 years later, still feel fresh and totally engaging. If, like me, you lived through HK in the 80s-90s then this will bring back fond memories and the underlying issues that this film wanted to discuss will be ever more resonant and meaningful. Not that you will need this prior knowledge to enjoy this wonderfully romantic story of 2 star- and fate-crossed lovers. Having said that, the subtitles are so lacking at certain point, the lost in translation factor would certainly mean that any Chinese speaking audience will definitely get a better deal out of the film than a non-Chinese speaking one. And seeing that this is one of those films that is impossible to get on DVD (let alone Blu-ray), a good re-mastering/re-subtitling/reissue is definitely long overdue.

• Jun 14, 2013

saccharin love story, immigrants survival tale, tribute to late 80s hk, comrades is all these and more!! leon and maggie give the performances of their careers! especially cheung, she is THE BEST actress on the planet! (=