Conan the Barbarian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conan the Barbarian Reviews

September 23, 2015
Not that the Arnie one was super good, but this one just didn't feel like Conan. He seemed way too nice. Not barbaric at all.
½ September 8, 2015
Reviews are right on. Terrible acting and bad scene flow. Very forgettable and not re-watchable whatsoever.
½ September 4, 2015
A decent remake of the Swarzenegger Conan. I found the action to be good and story decent as well. While it doesn't match the original it does entertain.
½ August 9, 2015
Visually, it's a solid movie with great set pieces and trademark Conan brutality. Jason Momoa is also an ideal fit for the role...now. Not when it was made. Now, he's Khal Drogo, he's Aquaman, he's believable as a musclebound Schwarzenegger successor. This movie was ultimately just too early in his career to get him over.
The early scenes in the film suggest a strong vengeance quest, and are littered with potentially interesting characters. The problem is, after that ends, the filmmakers pack it in and rely on the visuals to carry the film and pay minimal attention to the characters. Conan could have been like Mad Max; action first and words second, but nobody else did their job dialogue-wise, so it falls flat.
As such, there isn't much good to say about this movie beyond the visuals. It would have been nice if the screenwriters hadn't written the skeleton script, gone for coffee, and jumped off a bridge. If they had finished it, it might have gotten there. Or at least been stronger.
½ August 6, 2015
It's not the original so it's not one of the best movies ever made, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. How can you make a fun movie that everyone shits on? Give it the same title as the original that's based on the same comic book seris, that's how. I like sword fights! I like magic! I like Khal Drogo! and I like watching Hellboy die! Soooo I liked (not loved) this movie
August 5, 2015
El re-boot de Conan El Bárbaro, el héroe del pulp y del cómic creado por Robert E. Howard, carece del carisma brindado por Arnold Schwarzenegger en las dos películas anteriores realizadas sobre el personaje. Jason Momoa es un actor mediocre que tampoco tiene el físico exagerado de Arnold. Marcus Nispel es un director mediocre que nunca logró trascender del formato del video-clip y la historia de venganza parece refrita y está llena de clichés. La violencia está demasiado estilizada, el villano no tiene carisma y los diálogos aprecen escritos por un niño de 13 años que vió demasiado Monty Python. La salvación está en los villanos secundarios, en especial una perversa Rose McGowan interpretando a Marique, una bruja con complejo de Electra que parece salida de las películas de Andy Warhol. Esta versión de Conan está por debajo de la basura disfrutable.
July 19, 2015
Lo unico que mas o menos funciona es el protagonista, que al menos da la talla. El resto es todo un desastre que ni interesa ni te logra involucrar. Es una peli de Conan, la historia no tiene que ser gran cosa, personajes decentes en un mundo molón donde nos metamos en la aventura... pero no hay tal aventura, solo mil secuencias de accion, todas desastrosas, genericas y terriblemente mal rodadas con tantos cliches que dudo que ni los niños la disfruten.
July 18, 2015
This is the worst remake to stain the silver screen in a long time. My reasoning is simple. Unlike the original from the early 80's, this film gives Conan the 'just born with it' mentality to his power and skill. In the original, Conan was a young lad with a family, that was killed, and he was sold into slavery. But with force of will he evolved and survived. His fighting skills were earned through hardship and triumph, and his freedom was hard won. Stale anyone could relate to, a testament to the indomable human spirit and an adventure to seek justice in an unjust world.
This version is a mockery of that, and the poor story telling loses my interest in a mere 10 minutes of the film. If you want to see Conan the Barbarian, see the original. If you want special effects and a storyline fit for a five yr old, than this is your film.
½ July 9, 2015
A pitiful attempt to capture the essence of the ultimate sword & sorcery hero.
July 1, 2015
Nice Conan movie, off course could be better, maybe on part 2 anytime
½ May 14, 2015
He doesn't look like the Cimmerian. He's too...petite.
May 11, 2015
Hey, its Conan. If you were looking for the Ten Commandments, look elsewhere. And you get what you pay for here.
May 1, 2015
Words cannot convey my distress at them fouling up a remake of conan the barbarian, but i shall try. The cast is satisfactory and it looks like the hyborian age, but there's just no substance to this. It's like Kull the Conqueror but in reverse as Kull would have been better had it starred Conan of Cimmeria. This film may have been better had it NOT starred Conan of Cimmeria. It's just a medieval times 80's action movie that doesn't explore the world, mythos, or character of the source material. Given the movies actual plot it could have been set in any era against any backdrop. Also, Conan's amorality is gone (thief and murderer) replaced with John McClain style heroics. Momoa is not lead actor material, but the rest of the cast helps. All in all a tremendous let down considering it's lack of competition in the genre
April 3, 2015
The only interest of the movie is given by the feminine characters. In the case of Rose McGowan, also by her character and acting ;)
½ March 14, 2015
A lazy script and under developed villains really hurt this Arnold remake. The only thing this movie did right was casting Jason Momoa as Conan, not only does he fit the part, he plays it to the best of his abilities. Failed attempt but see it for Momoa's performance.
March 9, 2015
tons more action and tons more blood and gore than the original
February 12, 2015
What happened here?! I was really looking forward to seeing this as I do have love for these sword n sorcery fantasy adventure flicks of old and had high hopes for this remake/reboot. Yes I accept the obvious cheese factors and possible over the top silliness of the whole concept, if you love the old 'Conan/Red Sonja/Dragonslayer/Beastmaster' type films then you surely do, but I was amazed at the lack of imagination used for this new film.

I really feel disappointed with this in every aspect, Momoa certainly looked the part but he wasn't quite big enough for me, not enough muscle tone, he played the part OK but there was too much needless sword twirling and fancy pointless showmanship. Lang and McGowan didn't really thrill me either, they both looked like characters outta Star Trek and were simply dull, much like all the characters, just your run of the mill faceless baddies with silly haircuts. Poor old Perlman looked like a flipping Wookie or Neanderthal in his get up, the abominable swordsman.

I just felt a real lack of inspiration throughout the film, the location and sets were drab, nothing really exciting actually happened and the finale was a mess of bad bluescreen, poor models and poor CGI. Throw into the mix a very lackluster giant octopus monster thing (terrible CGI again) which didn't really do anything, totally mediocre and has been done before over and over *sigh*.

Yes the film sticks to original source material by staying violent with plenty of blood and gore (although the blood was again bad CGI in places), but the film just felt like it lacked care, just tossing together all the old cliches and old ideas and throwing out yet another lame reboot/remake...whatever.
½ February 4, 2015
By Crom this was a bad remake.
½ January 26, 2015
I really wanted to like this. The blu ray has been sitting on my shelf since it was first released and I am so much a fan to Arnies version I really didnt want to see it. Ok Ill cut to the chase, the cgi is great in places and you can tell the movie was meant to be in 3D which is off putting in places. Just watch the elephants legs when they are carrying the land ship of the bad guy (a concept I liked by the way)

Momoa who I like looks the part of Conan although not as huge as Arnie was back in his day. I also like him from Stargate and Game of Thrones. But there you go, it was like a big budget version of one of those. The scenery looked out of proportion in some shots then amazing in others. The bad guy had nothing on James Earl Jones in the original. He was adequate and had his moments.

Although I like Rachel Nichols in Continuim, she had too many screaming moments then she kicked ass then she was back to screaming again.

Ron Pearlman as Conans dad was superb, I like pretty much anything he does

Sword and sorcery movies were made from Arnies original. There were lots of sword and not much sorcery. I know we had the young witch, the sand creatures were pretty neat she created, but she should have been more powerful. The Orginal Conan was perfectly cast with Arnie and did take itsef more serious which worked. Arnies accent also worked. Momoa is too polished and goes from being a sullen Barbarian to gentleman every other scene. Arnie kept in Barbarian mode all of the time.

The whole build up of Conan growing up in the orginal as being a slave and pushing around the big wheel for years which made him physically strong was missing. Hes a boy, then he is Conan in one shot. Ok, cool things. The fights are awesome, blood and guts in a sparticas Gladiator was. They were great. The opening when Conan is a boy and proves already hes the toughest guy in his village apart from his father.

Sword fighting also is very well done. Ok Im struggling now.

Let me sum it up.

If you have a couple of hours in the afternoon or at night. This is an entertaining movie. Its fun, action packed and if you have a 3D TV then its probably even better. If you are a fan of the original Conan, you will probably have the same feelings as I did. Would I watch it again. Probably if it was on and I wanted to kill a couple of hours.
January 17, 2015
A film with great promise that totally under delivers. Painful dialog strung between excellent action sequences that ring hollow.