Conan the Barbarian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conan the Barbarian Reviews

½ July 9, 2015
A pitiful attempt to capture the essence of the ultimate sword & sorcery hero.
July 1, 2015
Nice Conan movie, off course could be better, maybe on part 2 anytime
½ May 14, 2015
He doesn't look like the Cimmerian. He's too...petite.
May 11, 2015
Hey, its Conan. If you were looking for the Ten Commandments, look elsewhere. And you get what you pay for here.
May 1, 2015
Words cannot convey my distress at them fouling up a remake of conan the barbarian, but i shall try. The cast is satisfactory and it looks like the hyborian age, but there's just no substance to this. It's like Kull the Conqueror but in reverse as Kull would have been better had it starred Conan of Cimmeria. This film may have been better had it NOT starred Conan of Cimmeria. It's just a medieval times 80's action movie that doesn't explore the world, mythos, or character of the source material. Given the movies actual plot it could have been set in any era against any backdrop. Also, Conan's amorality is gone (thief and murderer) replaced with John McClain style heroics. Momoa is not lead actor material, but the rest of the cast helps. All in all a tremendous let down considering it's lack of competition in the genre
April 3, 2015
The only interest of the movie is given by the feminine characters. In the case of Rose McGowan, also by her character and acting ;)
½ March 14, 2015
A lazy script and under developed villains really hurt this Arnold remake. The only thing this movie did right was casting Jason Momoa as Conan, not only does he fit the part, he plays it to the best of his abilities. Failed attempt but see it for Momoa's performance.
March 9, 2015
tons more action and tons more blood and gore than the original
February 12, 2015
What happened here?! I was really looking forward to seeing this as I do have love for these sword n sorcery fantasy adventure flicks of old and had high hopes for this remake/reboot. Yes I accept the obvious cheese factors and possible over the top silliness of the whole concept, if you love the old 'Conan/Red Sonja/Dragonslayer/Beastmaster' type films then you surely do, but I was amazed at the lack of imagination used for this new film.

I really feel disappointed with this in every aspect, Momoa certainly looked the part but he wasn't quite big enough for me, not enough muscle tone, he played the part OK but there was too much needless sword twirling and fancy pointless showmanship. Lang and McGowan didn't really thrill me either, they both looked like characters outta Star Trek and were simply dull, much like all the characters, just your run of the mill faceless baddies with silly haircuts. Poor old Perlman looked like a flipping Wookie or Neanderthal in his get up, the abominable swordsman.

I just felt a real lack of inspiration throughout the film, the location and sets were drab, nothing really exciting actually happened and the finale was a mess of bad bluescreen, poor models and poor CGI. Throw into the mix a very lackluster giant octopus monster thing (terrible CGI again) which didn't really do anything, totally mediocre and has been done before over and over *sigh*.

Yes the film sticks to original source material by staying violent with plenty of blood and gore (although the blood was again bad CGI in places), but the film just felt like it lacked care, just tossing together all the old cliches and old ideas and throwing out yet another lame reboot/remake...whatever.
½ February 4, 2015
By Crom this was a bad remake.
½ January 26, 2015
I really wanted to like this. The blu ray has been sitting on my shelf since it was first released and I am so much a fan to Arnies version I really didnt want to see it. Ok Ill cut to the chase, the cgi is great in places and you can tell the movie was meant to be in 3D which is off putting in places. Just watch the elephants legs when they are carrying the land ship of the bad guy (a concept I liked by the way)

Momoa who I like looks the part of Conan although not as huge as Arnie was back in his day. I also like him from Stargate and Game of Thrones. But there you go, it was like a big budget version of one of those. The scenery looked out of proportion in some shots then amazing in others. The bad guy had nothing on James Earl Jones in the original. He was adequate and had his moments.

Although I like Rachel Nichols in Continuim, she had too many screaming moments then she kicked ass then she was back to screaming again.

Ron Pearlman as Conans dad was superb, I like pretty much anything he does

Sword and sorcery movies were made from Arnies original. There were lots of sword and not much sorcery. I know we had the young witch, the sand creatures were pretty neat she created, but she should have been more powerful. The Orginal Conan was perfectly cast with Arnie and did take itsef more serious which worked. Arnies accent also worked. Momoa is too polished and goes from being a sullen Barbarian to gentleman every other scene. Arnie kept in Barbarian mode all of the time.

The whole build up of Conan growing up in the orginal as being a slave and pushing around the big wheel for years which made him physically strong was missing. Hes a boy, then he is Conan in one shot. Ok, cool things. The fights are awesome, blood and guts in a sparticas Gladiator was. They were great. The opening when Conan is a boy and proves already hes the toughest guy in his village apart from his father.

Sword fighting also is very well done. Ok Im struggling now.

Let me sum it up.

If you have a couple of hours in the afternoon or at night. This is an entertaining movie. Its fun, action packed and if you have a 3D TV then its probably even better. If you are a fan of the original Conan, you will probably have the same feelings as I did. Would I watch it again. Probably if it was on and I wanted to kill a couple of hours.
January 17, 2015
A film with great promise that totally under delivers. Painful dialog strung between excellent action sequences that ring hollow.
January 9, 2015
If you love the true original source material - the books by Robert E. Howard, and even the long-running graphic novel series - then you will love this movie as I do. The visuals are stunning, the costumes and action breath-taking, and Jason Momoa perfect as the leaden-eyed barbarian from the north who was thief, pirate, warrior, and ultimately a king. I can't recommend this movie more highly. It blows my former favorite sword-and-sandal movie, the 9182 Arnold epic, completely out of the water, and for me that was a damn hard feat.
December 30, 2014
Like Robocop, an unnecessary remake, but not bad and pretty much what you would expect from a film called 'Conan the Barbarian!'
December 22, 2014
Watching Paint Dry Is More Entertaining Than This Poor Excuse Of A Remake. Arnie's Version Is Much Better. As The Saying Goes, Don't Try And Fix What Isn't Broken.
½ December 2, 2014
Enjoyable for the most part.
November 17, 2014
WOW......WOW......WOW.....SO SO SO SO BAD.....MAN THIS IS SUCH A COMPLETLEY DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO BAD.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH A COMPLETLEY DREADFUL AWFUL MESSY MSSY DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS JUST SUCH A WASTE OF TIME, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO AWFUL MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO BAD, IT IS SO DEPRESSING MOVIE 2 WATCH, THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO BAD, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO AWFUL IT IS JUST AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO BAD JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS......
November 11, 2014
It's okay to kind of seen Conan as a younger version & Arnold is the better man for the upcoming film.
November 10, 2014
'Conan: The Barbarian' is the remake of the 1982 movie, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. I find this remake to be a misguided recreation of the mythical warrior, Conan.

It may present some fine sets based around the time period of the mythical tale of Conan, but after it's astonishing opening battle sequence, which depicts Conan's childhood, the movie follows Conan's journey from adulthood, as he vows to avenge the murder of his father, who was killed by the main antagonist, played by Stephen Lang. Jason Momoa portrays Conan, the legend himself, and I thought his acting could have been better. I compared it with Arnie's portrayal of the character, and I didn't like the original much either, but favoured his performance more than Momoa's performance. Momoa played the baddie in the Sylvester Stallone action flick, 'Bullet to the Head,' and it was a good part for him as he portrayed a villain with a lot of potential to be one step ahead of Stallone's part.
October 25, 2014
Exactly what you expect it to be. Nothing more.