Confessione di un commissario di polizia al procuratore della repubblica (Confessions of a Police Captain) Reviews

• Mar 15, 2015

Django and Psycho victim 2 team up for this Italian piece of trash.

Django and Psycho victim 2 team up for this Italian piece of trash.

• Jul 01, 2014

Police captain and DA fight career criminal and corruption within the city; a look at the futility of dealing with organized crime when their influence extends everywhere. Good cast led by Franco Nero and Martin Balsalm. A better print than the one offered in The Grindhouse Collection should be sought out.

• Mar 05, 2013

The police release a prisoner from a mental institute knowing that he will try to kill an organized crime figure. When the prisoner fails, the District Attorney tries to put the pieces of what happened together. Pretty good film. Liked the ending but I find the Italian film industry's habit of dubbing voices baffling. Why would you do that to Franco Nero?

• Jan 08, 2012

A powerful masterpiece, highly recommended and thoroughly impressive.

A powerful masterpiece, highly recommended and thoroughly impressive.

• Nov 23, 2011

This is a pretty watchable little Euro-crime film that I noticed in a collection of Grindhouse stuff that I've had hanging around for awhile now, and finally decided to give it a peep. An early film in this cycle of Mafia related films, this never got as action oriented as the few other films I've seen within the genre, but it's an okay way to pass and afternoon. Worth a rental.

• Sep 16, 2011

A dynamic, cynical performance from Martin Balsam enlivens an otherwise boring picture about Italian politicos trying to take down the mob. Franco Nero costars as an assistant D.A. whose uprightness is annoying while he's onscreen but the character is so forgettable it's hard to begrudge him that. Apart from a nice scene where Balsam nonchalantly guns down a mafioso, there's very little exploitative about "Confessions of a Police Captain," making it an unusual choice for inclusion on the Grindhouse Experience collection. Then again,the same could be said of most entries in that weird little collection.

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Jun 20, 2011

Another movie from the Grindhouse experience 20 feature film collection. Martin Balsam saved this movie as his acting was as good as he get's as the Police Captain who is going to arrest and put in prison a mafia bass and he will stop at nothing. A DA who doesn't know who he wants to put behind bars. A great crime movie for 1971. 3 1/2 stars

• Jan 20, 2011

Solid poliziotteschi goes for gritty realism, but is not without its cheesy melodramatic moments. But a strong story and intense central performances by Martin Balsam and Franco Nero make for an entertaining genre effort. Great score by Riz Ortalani.

• Nov 05, 2010

Being a huge fan of poliziotteschi (Italian Crime) films, I jumped at the chance to purchase Wild East's DVD release of "Confessions of a Police Captain" which was also partly due to the fact it starred Italian great Franco Nero. Franco Nero is one of my all time favorite actors and will happily watch any film he stars in. I actually was apprehensive going into this film at first despite liking the genre and Franco Nero. I was apprehensive due to the lackluster title. I know better to judge a film a film by its title but I was use to poliziotteschi films having awesome and attention grabbing titles like "Rome Armed to the Teeth" and "The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist." The title "Confessions of a Police Captain" reminded me more of a boring TV made movie. Thankfully upon finishing the film it came out much better than it's lackluster title promised. This film stars American actor Martin Balsan as our burnout Police Captain and Franco Nero as our newly appointed District Attorney. The police captain is at wits end with corruption in the cities politics that leads up to mayor himself so he concocts an elaborate scheme to bring all the corruption out. The District Attorney, despite being new to the scene, also sees all the corruption around him and must decide to put his career at risk to make it known. The best part of this film is, not surprisingly, the cast and Martin Balsan and Franco Nero bicker and shout at each other throughout most of the film. The captain thinks the district attorney is corrupt and vice versa and they are both hell-bent on proving that the other is padding their pockets with money from the wrong side. Martin Balsan has always been an underrated actor in my humble opinion. I know him more for his small roles in Cannon productions like Death Wish 3 and The Delta Force but his acting even shines in those B-Flicks. Here he actually has a good script to actually make his great acting get noticed. My one complaint is the film is extremely full of dialogue and plot and not on action. People looking for rousing action scenes that usually accompany poliziotteschi films will not find it here and are better off watching the works of Enzo G. Castillari and Umberto Lenzi instead. I like my poliziotteschi films to have some great action and came out of the film a little disappointed it didn't have any. I also wished the ending was tied up some loose ends better but overall I found the plot engrossing and engaging with some violent sequences thrown in every now and then for good measure. This is a bleak, depressing poliotteschi film with a good plot, great cast and very little action. Fans of poliziotteschi films that are able to get engrossed in films with little action will find a lot to like but otherwise Italian action fans are recommended to find their kicks in other films.

• Nov 05, 2010

Not too many complaints about this movie. This movie is about a city that is filled with corruption and a police captain that decides he can no longer trust the system he's in charge of defending. There were some cool ideas in this film. It was also too slow at times. Excellent acting from Martin Balsam ("Psycho", "The Twilight Zone") and Franco Nero ("Die Hard 2"). The movie is directed by Damiano Damiani ("Amityville II"). Overall this is a good movie. 3.5/5 stars. (6/3/10)