90% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

February 14, 2013
Jim Byrd: You're an assassination enthusiast, a murder buff.

"Some Things Are Better Left Top Secret"

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is an altogether interesting film from all angles. There's the life of Chuck Barris aspect, which is the story of the film, and if the CIA connection is actually true or not. Then there's the technical elements. It's George Clooney's directorial debut and it's written by Charlie Kauffman. There's also the great cast, including: Sam Rockwell, Drew Barrymore, George Clooney, and Julia Roberts. Overall, it's a fairly good movie, but in that sense it is also disappointing because I believe, given the source material and names attached, it should have been a lot better.

This biographical film follows Chuck Barris as he works his way into television by coming up with game show ideas like, The Dating Game. In enters, Jim Byrd, who approaches Chuck about becoming an independent contract killer for the CIA right before he hits it big with his first game show. From their we see the supposed double life of Chuck Barris. On the surface he's just a trash television personality, but behind the scenes he's a lethal assassin.

At the end of this one I was left wondering what could have been. The movie is extremely messy in spots and some scenes just don't work at all. Then there's the scenes that are just about perfect also. If only Clooney, Kauffman, and the cast could have found a happy medium between the absurd and the serious, this would have been a much better film.

As it is, this is still a pretty good film. It's far from perfect and suffers from a variety of problems, but it's altogether entertaining and interesting. It's worth a watch for more than the fact that it's Clooney's directorial debut and a Kauffman script.
Spencer S

May 6, 2011
This is one of those films that took forever to get made, had a lot of turnover in terms of casting, directors, and screenwriters. Because this film did take twenty years to make, and had some creative differences between director George Clooney and screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, there are some strange scenes and odd choices to this semi-biographic film about host, show creator, and supposed CIA operative Chuck Barris. The main objective of the film is to show the true story of Chuck Barris, based on his autobiography, and that earnest attitude towards staying true to a set of events that are widely disputed makes cartoonish circumstances come off as corny and strange. If the script had been handled appropriately and given the credence that a Kaufman script deserves, then this film would be better received than it already is. As a straight biopic this film is off-putting at every turn, but as a general film it remains very interesting. Sam Rockwell has the swag and confidence to be a bigger star than he's given credit for, and he proves that in this film as well as the critically acclaimed "Moon". The rest of the cast is engaging, and the film stays interesting, but when it comes to Barris being a spy, everything feels slow, methodical, and sluggish. Particularly when it comes to Julia Roberts' performances, the story gets a bit muddled. There is some action, though it belies the point of the actual movie, and makes it harder to characterize really who Barris is. Is he the smart and affable game show creator, the thrust upon hero, or the wronged man who has taken on too much responsibility? You can never feel close to the character, and you can never understand him either. If it's not flashing game show clips at you it all feels bleak and wrong.
Sam B

October 24, 2012
George Clooney clearly had fun directing this movie, as there are all sorts of neat-looking details going on. Unfortunately, Charlie Kaufman's least daring script tries to sculpt the story into the usual psyche-study with unsubtle philosophical subtexts, but those elements sort of just flail around, leaving audiences with nothing much more than a wacky, slick-looking drama/thriller thing with a talented but underutilized cast, and not enough substance to complement the style.
Ross C

July 19, 2012
Typical Charlie Kaufman script with our anti-hero protagonist being a very male Jewish American with social issues and a melancholy philosophy on life. Strong cast and cameo line up but both Clooney as the CIA handler and Julia Roberts as the femme fatale character gave rather flat performances. Still, I learnt something about the history of reality TV and the twist with CIA assassination operations is quite enticing.
familiar s

January 31, 2009
Not as impressive as to what I was looking forward to, but worked as a pastime. Nevertheless, its tagline continues to be among my most favorites.
Graham J

October 27, 2011
Either George Clooney is becoming an awesome director or Steven Soderbergh is ghost directing for him.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
regardless of the truth of the story, this is an excellent film. great performances, great screenplay, and gripping story. i love that clooney loves to put himself in these teerrible mustaches all the time.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
George Clooney proves he?s more than just a good actor, he?s also a brilliant director.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
George Clooney's directing debut, based on the autobiography of a 60s and 70s game show host who also killed for the CIA. Although the movie is interrupted by a few comments of real Chuck Barris' contemporaries there has to be doubt about the validity of his story. The film doesn't care much about that and creates a sometimes funny, sometimes dramatic ride through his career in entertainment and killing, with some really bizarre ideas of humor and imaginative scene changes. Some of Clooney's Ocean's group make amusing cameos and the acting is all around great, merely Drew Barrymore just doesn't seem to fit in. While the film is entertaining and far from boring it still left me a bit unsatisfied, although I can't say what was lacking.
Aaron N

May 6, 2007
Chuck Barris: I'm not killing people... my future's in television.

A film based on the autobiography of game-show creator-host Chuck Barris, of The Gong Show and the Dating Game to name a few. In this autobiography he details his life in show business as well as his other life as a CIA assassin. Game show host by day, Assassin by night. The truth is still not for certain.

Sam Rockwell stars as Chuck Barris, in a pitch perfect performance, capturing all the nuances and quirks that make the real Barris.

Simon Oliver: You are a bloody amateur.
Chuck Barris: You're a faggot.
Jim Byrd: Chuck.
Simon Oliver: Tell me, Mr. Barris, are you in possession of my microfilm?
Chuck Barris: Yeah, I got it.
Simon Oliver: Let's have it, then.
Chuck Barris: It's up my ass, Oliver, why don't you reach on up there and get it?

The book has been turned into a screenplay by Charlie Kaufman of Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, and Being John Malkkovich fame, and who better to adapt such an offbeat story, filling the film with dark humor and a twisty tone from satire to bleak and philosophical in its own ways.

Jim Byrd: You're 32 years old, and you've achieved nothing. Jesus Christ was dead and alive again by 33. You better get crackin'.

Its also a low budget movie from Miramax, directed by George Clooney for his first time in the directors chair, and being low budget, he gives the film a great look using various camera techniques, film saturation, old movie tricks, and long creative takes to get some neatly done scenes.

[developing his idea for the Gong Show]
Chuck Barris: We're goin' about this all wrong! We're killing ourselves trying to find good acts. We just book bad ones and kill them! We kill 'em before they're through, as soon as it gets unbearable, we kill them. Dead.

Also well handled is the incorporation of the actual game show footage into the film and the recreation of certain events as well as the whole look of the various decades portrayed and interviews with various people who know Chuck.

Patricia: Very good Chuck. I am pleasantly surprised, you're not like the other murderers.

Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts also star as the two women in Chuck's life that make up a part of him and what he wants to be, and they are both very good in their roles.

Rutger Hauer and Clooney again show up in small parts as well, and make their scenes and chemistry with Rockwell work very well adding to both the dark tone and dry comedy of the film.

The way the subject matter of assassin is handled is done so well, putting the viewer in a certain frame of mind that could go either way with if Barris was actually an assassin or not, and how the whole experience was fucking with his mind.

If there is one gripe, its how dark this film does gets in terms of its dramatic shift after the first hour, but that's a small issue, this is a very entertaining, well written dark comedy, with a great performance form Rockwell and very good directorial effort from Clooney.

Jim Byrd: He's a bad guy. He's one of the bad guys.
Chuck Barris: Bad for the US, right, Jim? Not bad in the absolute sense. Just bad for the US.
Jim Byrd: Don't fuckin' dance with me. Renda's bad for the Tea & Biscuit Company. He's bad for me personally. You work for me. Renda's bad for me... You're now officially a patriotic citizen of the United States of Jim Byrd. There's no backing out now. We let you in on everything. You don't play. You don't leave. You understand that? You don't play... You don't leave.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 13, 2008
Television made him famous, but his biggest hits happened off screen. "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" is the story of a legendary showman's double life - television producer by day, CIA assassin by night. At the height of his TV career, Chuck Barris was recruited by the CIA and trained to become a covert operative. Or so Barris said.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind marks a stylish and daring foray into direction. Whilst the film is undoubtedly crisp, its strength is also ultimately its downfall - this film is both a black comedy and a thriller but the two don't sit together well and the comedy ultimately undermines the thriller elements. Despite this, the acting is generally of a high quality - Julia Roberts and George Clooney both equally convincing in their roles, Julia in particular being made to look much more sexy and daring than in Ocean's 11. However, it is Sam Rockwell as Chuck Barris who really steals the show. His performance ultimately makes the film what it is and you really believe in his troubled "genius" and root for him on his missions.

Confessions..., is however, a somewhat difficult film to engage with fully. You may think you've seen Drew Barrymore's performance before and you'd be right (think back to "The Wedding Singer" with Adam Sandler). However, more noticeably, the action is broken up by comments from Barris' real-life contempories just when you want the story to unfold further. In my opinion, these should have been left to the end as a fitting testament to the man who may or may not have worked for the CIA, because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether Barris' did or didn't because Rockwell makes you want to believe that the story is true.

4/5
Lady D

June 25, 2007
Sam Rockwell was mildy entertaining, but that really is the only good thing going for this film. I was shocked to see this film was only 109 minutes long, as it seemed as though it had been on for hours. It hasn?t quite made the ?awful? list and I would consider it ?watchable? if it hadn?t been so drawn out.
garyX
garyX

May 11, 2007
I imagine Chuck Barris sat down to write his autobiography and realised that it would be the same as 99% of every other autobiographies ever written. Really f***ing boring. So he decided to throw in some stuff about spies and assassins to spice it up a bit. This adaptation therefore is part biography, part romance, part thriller and part comedy but is a serious case of jack of all trades and master of none. The spy scenes come across as a kind of unfunny version of Austin Powers, the romance doesn't work because he is such an unsympathetic twat (even Drew Barrymore comes across as whiny and annoying) and it just isn't very funny. It's a shame because if Clooney had concentrated on just one aspect it could've been much better; the scenes involving himself and Rutger Hauer are great. Unfortunately as it is, more often than not I was just plain bored because Rockwell is so unlikeable I didn't care WHAT happened to him. A disappointment considering the talent involved.
puffchunk
puffchunk

June 21, 2007
The music playing as he walks with the cigarette in his mouth needs to accompany me everywhere I go. Pretty neat, but not Kaufman's best.
Michael S

June 11, 2007
Great directorial effort from G. Clooney.
Tim S

August 8, 2007
Rockwell owns this movie. I don't know why Kaufman hates it so much.
Drew S

January 23, 2007
I would like to see George Clooney direct a gothic period piece, or even a horror movie. His set design and sense of dark aesthetic is excellent. Here, however, his angry hallucinogenic scenes feel squandered and out of place.

Sam Rockwell brings a ton of life to a movie that spends its first hour being kind of dry and confusing. The spy scenes generally flew over my head, and there's a lot of colorless stretches of expository dialogue. The humor's good, but underutilized.

I wish this movie spent less time on Chuck Barris's television woes and more time elucidating the espionage subplots, because ultimately they're what give the movie dramatic weight. The Dating Game's funny and all, but for the amount of development poured into it, the returns are insignificant.

Ultimately Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a textured and mature drama that boasts great performances and dark humor by the bucketload. But I think it could have been really great. Too bad.
nuheart
nuheart

June 6, 2007
It starts off, you think it's a comedy, but by midpoint its well-into serious thriller territory -- and you never question the change-over.
Al S

January 30, 2007
George Clooney makes a fiery directional debut. Slick, stylish, flat-out-funny and electrifying. A brilliant thriller. A teriffic film noir. Plenty of twist and surprises. Sam Rockwell makes all the right moves in this real deal movie star performance. Drew Barrymore sizzels. Georg Clooney is brillant. Dark, witty and full of energy. Wickedly cool and endlessly fun. Great entertainment.
Jason S