Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind Reviews

August 2, 2018
A very entertaining and interesting movie. But whether its all true or not is a different story. Well worth a watch though.
May 3, 2018
Great movie. I love movies that have some true history in them, or at least are based on true history. Great cast and performances all around.
½ April 2, 2018
Excellent movie

Chuck Barris is a successful TV producer and presenter. Behind this façade lurks a secret - he is a CIA assassin.

George Clooney's directorial debut, and it's a great one. (Also worth noting that the screenplay was written by Charlie Kaufman, of Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Adaptation fame). Excellent movie, mixing humour and drama. Plot is superb - you're kept guessing at what is real and what is not, and where it all will lead.

The movie, however, is made by the acting of Sam Rockwell. His performance is mind-blowingly brilliant.
September 17, 2017
Very cool - and expertly filmed by and with Clooney and nearly all of his Hollywood friends. The story itself puts one over on us, especially if alive to have seen Chuck Barris' popular & catchy TV creations on the networks in the days before "The Bachelor." Here is the incubator of THAT phenomenon. Most everyone dismissed Barris in his day as a schlock promoter; but really he was deeper & more creative than was recognized at the time. This "autobiographical" story - story, folks - gets even with his critics in a wildly imaginative way that's hard for us to imagine coming from Barris. A good show, Barris last hurrah and creative gotcha. | - Norm de Guerre
½ August 4, 2017
Felt the movie was to long
½ July 2, 2017
Clooney directs a twisty turny film that isn't the easiest to follow all the time, and I feel like there are some shots that are very open to interpretation at times. Nonetheless, this off-kilter film manages not only to entertain but give plenty of laughs. Rockwell is one of the most underrated actors, and he shines as Chuck Barris, a television director as well as a CIA agent. I'm not quite sure what the movie is trying to say or what message Clooney is giving us, but I cannot deny that this is a very well balanced film that I would watch again to try and interpret better
July 1, 2017
Game show television producer Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell) is at the height of his career. His creation, "The Dating Game," is one of the network's top shows and he has just been given the post of hosting his latest brainchild, "The Gong Show." But what the public and industry big-wigs are unaware of is that Chuck Barris, game show pioneer, is also a covert assassin. He works for the C.I.A. and claims to have killed 33 people.

Great cast but parts of the movie lagged.
June 18, 2017
A well acted and well written movie.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
Often inventively captured by George Clooney in the director's chair, 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind benefits from his talent and some good performances to overcome its narrative flaws and the general lack of connection I felt whilst watching it.
February 12, 2017
Being a huge Sam Rockwell fan, I can't believe it took me this long to see this film. Wish I had done so sooner! Rockwell delivers another crackling, layered performance and is definitely the glue that keeps the film together - and keeps you glued to the film. It's a funny, dark, offbeat and charming film - but equally unsettling. It has an unusual pace and rhythm which might turn away some viewers, but for those who appreciate something less generic made with an artistic touch, this is a great night's entertainment. Rockwell is still on the top my wish-list to work with.....
October 28, 2016
The worst Charlie Kaufman movie in my opinion. From what I've gathered it seems like he simply wanted to try to do a fair and accurate adaptation of a novel, and I'm guessing he succeeded? I don't know, and don't particularly care. The story was just not that interesting, and I found George Clooney's directing to be waaaay too unsubtle. Occasionally, it made for some fun visuals, but I found it pissing me off more than anything. In my opinion, this is skippable.
½ September 10, 2016
Although it's subject matter's authenticity may be in doubt, this movie sure isn't. Rockwell is outstanding, really the whole cast is. A recommend...
½ September 9, 2016
interesting story of a self made man with a disturbed mind. Very funny.
August 21, 2016
42%
Saw this on 20/8/16
Boring and poorly scripted. The film starts off well but soon Clooney loses the style and succumbs to self indulgence. Rockwell is ok, but the only sympathetic character here is that of Barrymore's.
½ June 25, 2016
Pacing is slightly wonky, but Rockwell is a king.
June 2, 2016
When you're as famous as George Clooney and you're directing a movie it can't be hard to persuade some big names to be in your movie, even for a second or two. This does make this quite a quirky movie though. The story itself is quite surprising as it is supposedly a true one. Sam Rockwell is always worth watching and this cast is very impressive but it's missing something; I reckon it could have been a lot funnier.
½ May 30, 2016
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a decent. It is about game show impresario Chuck Barris. Sam Rockwell and Drew Barrymore give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. George Clooney did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.
April 6, 2016
Fascinating; perhaps even more so to those of us old enough to remember The Gong Show. Even if all this is just a concoction of Chuck Barris' imagination, it nevertheless is a remarkable bit of creative writing. And the casting is fun, including a couple of cameos in The Dating Game clips where -- as often actually happened -- an oaf was chosen over a couple of really handsome guys.
March 12, 2016
George Clooney acerta bastante mas também erra na montagem, mas o roteiro de Charlie Kaufman é excelente e Sam Rockwell entrega grande atuação.
February 23, 2016
un film interessante nella storia raccontata ma che risulta noioso e non molto accattivante. Esordio alla regia di Clooney.