Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind Reviews

October 28, 2016
The worst Charlie Kaufman movie in my opinion. From what I've gathered it seems like he simply wanted to try to do a fair and accurate adaptation of a novel, and I'm guessing he succeeded? I don't know, and don't particularly care. The story was just not that interesting, and I found George Clooney's directing to be waaaay too unsubtle. Occasionally, it made for some fun visuals, but I found it pissing me off more than anything. In my opinion, this is skippable.
½ September 10, 2016
Although it's subject matter's authenticity may be in doubt, this movie sure isn't. Rockwell is outstanding, really the whole cast is. A recommend...
½ September 9, 2016
interesting story of a self made man with a disturbed mind. Very funny.
August 21, 2016
42%
Saw this on 20/8/16
Boring and poorly scripted. The film starts off well but soon Clooney loses the style and succumbs to self indulgence. Rockwell is ok, but the only sympathetic character here is that of Barrymore's.
½ June 25, 2016
Pacing is slightly wonky, but Rockwell is a king.
June 2, 2016
When you're as famous as George Clooney and you're directing a movie it can't be hard to persuade some big names to be in your movie, even for a second or two. This does make this quite a quirky movie though. The story itself is quite surprising as it is supposedly a true one. Sam Rockwell is always worth watching and this cast is very impressive but it's missing something; I reckon it could have been a lot funnier.
½ May 30, 2016
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a decent. It is about game show impresario Chuck Barris. Sam Rockwell and Drew Barrymore give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. George Clooney did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.
April 6, 2016
Fascinating; perhaps even more so to those of us old enough to remember The Gong Show. Even if all this is just a concoction of Chuck Barris' imagination, it nevertheless is a remarkable bit of creative writing. And the casting is fun, including a couple of cameos in The Dating Game clips where -- as often actually happened -- an oaf was chosen over a couple of really handsome guys.
March 12, 2016
George Clooney acerta bastante mas também erra na montagem, mas o roteiro de Charlie Kaufman é excelente e Sam Rockwell entrega grande atuação.
February 23, 2016
un film interessante nella storia raccontata ma che risulta noioso e non molto accattivante. Esordio alla regia di Clooney.
February 5, 2016
With a talented cast and screenplay by Charlie Kaufman, based on an intriguing story, George Clooney's directorial debut had a lot of potential. Sadly somehow it adds up to slightly less than the sum of its parts. It's a decent movie, but not a great one. The tone of the film jerks between, cartoon quirkiness and darker, more serious musings about CIA assassinations. I'm sure that was intentional, but it doesn't quite work, and while the film seems like it has something serious to say, it's never quite clear what that is. That aside, there's plenty to like here. The film looks great and is cleverly directed throughout. The underrated Sam Rockwell is really good as the off-beat sleazy protagonist, and Clooney and Rutger Hauer are good in supporting roles as cloak and dagger types. Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts do their best with what they are given, but their characters are not very well fleshed out, as is depressingly so often the case with roles for women. They also don't seem to age, despite the film taking place over a couple of decades. It may not be as clever as it wants to be, but it's definitely worth watch if you like Sam Rockwell.
January 31, 2016
when your really good at something it can take you places that enrich your craft far beneath what you don't know existed. a thirst never tapped, a livelihood you never think you could live without. but is it real?
½ January 19, 2016
Great cast. Too weird and dark satire.
½ January 3, 2016
Chuck Barris, the host of the infamous Gong Show, wrote a book long ago in which he claims that he moonlighted as a CIA assassin overseas. Yeah, I call shenanigans. Knowing who Chuck is through glimpses of Gong Show reruns, and his apparent addiction to women, he seems like a full-blown sociopath. But man, what a story he tells. Hell, I'd make a movie out of it too if given the chance. Charlie Kaufman is the scribe to this interesting film, and we see a bright portion of his mad genius in quite a few sections of the film. The final scenes of the film really highlight his fantastic surrealism. Yet, the potential of his script gets squashed by it's director, George Clooney. The Hollywood golden-boy's first foray into directing a film, and he makes sure to gussy it up with as many celebrities as he can squeeze in, and an EXTREMELY overexposed image quality. This movie is desperate to be Kaufman, but is forced through the Clooney machine. So what we get, is a great idea, watered down. But out of the many problems the film has, the brightest spot of the whole thing, other than it's great script, is Sam Rockwell as Chuck Barris. He gives a nearly flawless portrayal of him. It's scary how uncanny he is to him.
November 27, 2015
Clooney's directorial debut features a dynamite central performance from Sam Rockwell, and the Noir-esque visual style that gives an oddly soothing feel. It's sharply written (kudos to Charlie Kaufman), darkly funny, and sometimes traumatically cold and Clooney does a wonderful job of managing the tonal balance, as well as telling a fascinating story about a TV producer who worked for CIA as an assassin. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is intriguing, stylish, and an ambitious mix of drama, comedy, and mystery.
½ November 12, 2015
An interesting movie, but its narrative structure is a tad hard to follow.
October 21, 2015
A heck of a yarn that is betrayed by Clooney's stagy direction.
½ October 12, 2015
One of the best Sam Rockwell performances.
September 25, 2015
As far as spy movies tend to go, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind takes the edge by maintaining a comedic baseline on the dark side of audience with sudden scenes of pure dread and thrill. Pulling a film such as this has being attempted before with no real success. It is truly not a feat that should be attempted without an extremely skilled and experienced director, yet Clooney succeeded none the less. In my experience, action-spy movies tend to be the only ones to succeed, and unfortunately seeing how this movie did in the box office, the statement stands.

Overall, the film managed to make the audience care about its central character, leave a bit of thrill for the spy, a little spite for the unfaithful husband, a lot of soullessness for the host of your usual game show, and the remaining shred of humanity on a writer.

As far as biopic films go, it is along Jarhead and Ray for me.
September 2, 2015
The performances are great but the story with one thats a acquired taste