Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind Reviews

November 27, 2015
Clooney's directorial debut features a dynamite central performance from Sam Rockwell, and the Noir-esque visual style that gives an oddly soothing feel. It's sharply written (kudos to Charlie Kaufman), darkly funny, and sometimes traumatically cold and Clooney does a wonderful job of managing the tonal balance, as well as telling a fascinating story about a TV producer who worked for CIA as an assassin. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is intriguing, stylish, and an ambitious mix of drama, comedy, and mystery.
½ November 12, 2015
An interesting movie, but its narrative structure is a tad hard to follow.
October 21, 2015
A heck of a yarn that is betrayed by Clooney's stagy direction.
½ October 12, 2015
One of the best Sam Rockwell performances.
September 25, 2015
As far as spy movies tend to go, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind takes the edge by maintaining a comedic baseline on the dark side of audience with sudden scenes of pure dread and thrill. Pulling a film such as this has being attempted before with no real success. It is truly not a feat that should be attempted without an extremely skilled and experienced director, yet Clooney succeeded none the less. In my experience, action-spy movies tend to be the only ones to succeed, and unfortunately seeing how this movie did in the box office, the statement stands.

Overall, the film managed to make the audience care about its central character, leave a bit of thrill for the spy, a little spite for the unfaithful husband, a lot of soullessness for the host of your usual game show, and the remaining shred of humanity on a writer.

As far as biopic films go, it is along Jarhead and Ray for me.
September 2, 2015
The performances are great but the story with one thats a acquired taste
August 15, 2015
Rockwell at his best. really good movie.
½ August 5, 2015
Gave this one a re-watch in advance of a certain podcast reviewing it, and I have to say that I just freaking love Sam Rockwell in this role. Truly a lot of fun, and if even half of this fanciful nonsense is true, I'm amazed.

Well worth a look, give that mother a rental.
½ August 4, 2015
The beginning of reality TV I guess.
½ July 23, 2015
Clooney's directorial debut is messy but full of spirit. An incredible true story about an infamous TV producer and his secret life. Think Linklater's "Bernie", only darker. Super cool and slick, with some great freshman-era cinematic style and a brilliant turn by Rockwell.
June 14, 2015
Un friggin even all over the place mess.
June 13, 2015
What's Real & What Is Not?? ..Either Way, He Deserves Credit For His Creation Of Cheap, Tragic, 'Race To The Bottom' Reality Television...Which Has Since Spawned So Many Terrible Shows & B/C Grade Celebrities.
May 30, 2015
Featuring a great performance by Sam Rockwell, George Clooney's film is just bizarre enough to hold our interest. To Clooney's credit he never fully commits to the authenticity of Chuck Barris' claims. But it often does feel that Clooney is in over his head most of the time. This could have been a really absorbing study of paranoia and identity. Instead it settles to be a bit silly and sometimes funny movie.
½ May 14, 2015
While colorful, I have to knock points off for it trying too hard to be artsy. Still, really well put together for a directorial debut. The moral of the story was also a bit on the nose.

Really enjoy Sam Rockwell, he is the big reason I didn't turn if off.
May 10, 2015
Capturing the inherent tragedy and intrigue of the controversial autobiography, A Dangerous Mind is an adaptation worthy of watching. Directed by George Clooney, the film has a distinctive feel, almost surreal in parts, capturing the apparent erratic and strangely brilliant nature of its subject, TV producer and purported CIA assassin Chuck Barris. Starring Sam Rockwell, his performance envelopes the screen and the Barris persona. Liberties are taken, to be sure, but the heart of what the book was trying to get across was captured. Once more, the Clooney film added to the story what was otherwise missing--relatable relationship dynamics and even greater drama. Especially effective was the cut-ins with real-life interviews.

4/5 Stars
April 16, 2015
Bizarre but not in excellent league.
½ April 13, 2015
What a weird movie. It entertained throughout, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to get out of it.
½ March 21, 2015
Sam Rockwell continues to be an excellent actor and Charlie Kaufman once again delivers an amazing script though it may be like putting pieces and puzzles and segments randomly into a movie. But it is an astonishing work indeed.
March 20, 2015
The story of Chuck Barris, a TV producer/CIA agent as he navigates the world of show biz and espionage. Much more interesting if you know who Chuck Barris was and knew his story. If not, its a very hard to believe story about a shady tv exec tooting his own horn. Rockwell, Clooney, and barrymore are meh. Only worth the 124 minutes if you are from the era.
½ March 15, 2015
One can only think how much better the film would be hadn't Kaufman script been slashed at the studio's demand. Still, this was definitely a great debut by Clooney powered by an excellent performance by Rockwell who nailed Chuck's vicissitudes.