Five Favorite Films with Jerry Bruckheimer

Chatting with the blockbuster producer of this week's Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Jerry Bruckheimer

Super producer Jerry Bruckheimer has earned a spot amongst Hollywood's elite players by producing some of the most successful and bombastic films of the last three decades, from Beverly Hills Cop to Armageddon, to Black Hawk Down and all three Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (They don't call him "Mr. Blockbuster" for nothing.) So what's Bruckheimer doing producing this week's estrogen-powered Confessions of a Shopaholic, starring a radiant Isla Fisher alongside the fab fashion mise-en-scenes of Sex and the City designer Patricia Fields?

He's taking people (in this case, the chick lit crowd) on a journey. In our discussion below, RT chats with Bruckheimer about his Five Favorite Films, many of which were directed by a sort of blockbuster magician of another generation, the celebrated British filmmaker David Lean. All five of his favorites, however, share certain elements that Bruckheimer strives for in his own career -- a fortuitous combination of great writing, great visual style, and great casting. (They also share a lot in common with the picks of last week's Five Favorite Films subject, Djimon Hounsou, to which Bruckheimer quips, "Really? He's a smart man.")

Below, Jerry Bruckheimer reminisces on working with Paul Schrader and the late artistic director Ferdinando Scarfiotti, with whom he worked on Cat People and American Gigolo, and compares the plight of Shopaholic's indebted heroine to America's current economic crisis. Intriguingly, Bruckheimer also argues that there is no glass ceiling in Hollywood for female filmmakers today (although Confessions of a Shopaholic is helmed by male director P.J. Hogan). Read on for all this and more with Jerry Bruckheimer.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957, 95% Tomatometer), Lawrence of Arabia (1962, 98% Tomatometer), Dr. Zhivago (1965, 84% Tomatometer)
The Bridge on the River KwaiI'm a big fan of David Lean. Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Dr. Zhivago take up three of my favorites. This can go for all three of Lean's films, because they're all very similar. They all have very strong characters, very developed characters. He has a unique visual style; it's very important for the way the movie looks. There are stories about how he'd sit in the desert for half a day, just waiting for the clouds to be right before he'd start filming. You can imagine what a producer would be doing during this. [Smiles] So I love films that have strong visual styles, and all of those films have very unique styles.

The Godfather (1972, 100% Tomatometer)
GodfatherThe Godfather is another big favorite of mine. It's a great characterization. Fantastic casting, in every film. I can generalize on all of these favorite films, because they all have the same elements to them. Very strong directors; very strong writers. Robert Bolt wrote most of David Lean's movies. You have a fantastic screenwriter working at your hand, penning these wonderful characters.

Raging Bull (1980, 98% Tomatometer)
Raging BullAnother masterful director [Martin Scorsese]. Paul Schrader was one of the writers on that, another great writer and director. Casting, again; De Niro is amazing.

Next: Bruckheimer on Paul Schrader, making films to "empower women," and how he pulls each project together

Comments

lily l.

lily lonely

(^_^)(^_^)(^_^)You'll find the best selection of hot babes, sexy singles at the exclusive interracial dating community,****Mixedfriends. c o m ****. Come in and stay a while. Post a message, a pic of yourself and check out the hot photo galleries. You are guaranteed to find someone you like there.(^_^)(^_^)(^_^)

Feb 11 - 05:46 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

LOL I kept hoping to see his movies as his favorites- Pirate series and National f^cking Treasure... Or even his even more classic children's movie Kangaroo Jack! That would have been awesome if he put those down. All amazing movies of course, but yeah pretty generic choices but I cant blame him. Is anyone on this site actually planning on seeing this movie? Sure Isla Fischer (misspell) is hot and a good actress but this looks pretty bad... I don't know, anyone? Besides Manutki and Ledawg who I am sure will be there opening day, anyone?

Feb 11 - 05:48 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

my gf is making me see this as punishment for something i did , dont know what i did but im sure it was my fault as usual ;)

Feb 11 - 06:19 PM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

If that chick gets a little naked I'll check it out on cinemax....not so much in the theatre. Jerry looks way too "hollywood," doesn't he?

Feb 14 - 11:24 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I wish Jerry Bruckheimer would have named his own films! I got the sense he really couldn't choose. He was one of the most interesting interviews, and probably the most powerful Hollywood player I've met. That's why it's even more interesting to see his views on the gender split; according to him, all is fair in the meritocracy that is Hollywood.

Feb 11 - 05:56 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah I don't think he thought about this list that much, those are just really no brainer picks. Which is fine but still...

Feb 11 - 06:11 PM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

The film looks watchable, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it at least one watch. I have a strange soft spot for romantic comedies anyway.

Feb 11 - 09:05 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 11 - 06:11 PM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

Feb 11 - 09:05 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

you know i wish one of these times one of these directors/actors would pick like a crappy movie or not some of the greatest movies of all time for their favorite movies . Like for instance someone says like bill and teds excellent adventure or army of darkness.

Feb 11 - 06:18 PM

rachel_renegade

Rachel Leigh

Army of Darkness is amazing.

Well, Robert Pattinson picked Corky Romano when he was featured.

Feb 11 - 06:55 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

Feb 11 - 06:19 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Paul Schrader is a great screenwriter, but one of the most boring directors around.

This shopaholic movies looks like more mindless materialistic vaquous fodder. A kind of film that celebrates commercialism. Which is kind of funny, as for the current economic climate I hope all those without job or who are under-employed avoid this thing out of spite.

Great Interview, though, Jen.

Feb 11 - 06:31 PM

rachel_renegade

Rachel Leigh

Army of Darkness is amazing.

Well, Robert Pattinson picked Corky Romano when he was featured.

Feb 11 - 06:55 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

"Robert Bolt wrote most of David Lean's movies. You have a fantastic screenwriter working at your hand, penning these wonderful characters. "

Um... Don't know what that has to do so much with "The Godfather." I know Puzo wrote the book, then co-wrote the screenplay with Coppola. . . err. . .

I normally seem to think of Bruckheimer like Michael Bay, they can make good films with explosions and such, but, for the most part, park the brain outside the theater.

Feb 11 - 07:10 PM

youngyeti

Jeff Frost

Jerry Bruckheimer must be an intelligent man, even if his movies are bang bang $$. Even before I read the interview I knew there would be the "Bruckheimer sucks" crowd leaving all the posts.
So what, even if he isn't what you like to spend your money on, there are a lot of people that really enjoy the big explosions and pretty faces that a Bruckheimer film can provide.
It fits that he would pick the movies he did, since those are the type of movies he makes. Give credit where credit is do. The man makes solid movies that bring a crowd.

Feb 11 - 07:27 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Hey I never said I hated Bruckheimer, I like the first Pirates of the Caribbean a lot and I even liked Dead Man's Chest. He also did Black Hawk Down and The Rock. So he has produced some cool stuff, but yeah I don't like a lot of his movies. I hope Prince of Persia is good though.

Feb 11 - 07:39 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

I do as well, but he already named the prince (he has no name I'm aware of) and renamed the princess, so aside from that it could still be good.

Feb 14 - 10:19 PM

reapermad

Ryan Kelley

F#%K Jerry Bruckheimer. F#%K him in his grimy ***!

Feb 11 - 07:37 PM

steve s.

steve smith

yo waits.......you straight? lay off the cheap booze....bruckheimer was being polite and humoring the interviewer with his answers to the the 5 favorite film question.....a quesion which he obviously had never given any thought....this guy is a hollywood heavyweight of epic proportions ..he MAKES history, he doesn't study it....wake up waits, you outsmarted yourself again

Feb 11 - 07:38 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 11 - 07:39 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Feb 14 - 10:19 PM

mssk8erboy

First Last

These are generic picks, but whatever. I'm also hoping Prince of Persia is good.

-MIKE

Feb 11 - 08:16 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I love all three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films. Yes, even the last one. I HATE "Kangroo Jack". I don't like "National Treasure". "Shophalic" looks alomost as bad as "Kangroo Jack"... almost. But the Pirate films make up for the rest of his crap. And future crap. (Yes, I think "Prince of Persia" will be bad. I love the game, but any game into film never works.)

Feb 11 - 08:41 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Meh, I am on the fence about Prince of Persia. It actually has a good director, the guy who did Goblet of Fire and Donnie Brasco. I like Gyllenhal, even though I still laugh at the fact that he is going to be persian. Its got Alfred Molina and Ben Kingsley, even though Kingsley only makes crap now- except for The Wackness! I just cant even comprehend what the hell was going on in the third Pirate movie, honestly I had no idea. The second one was fun though and almost as good as the first. I hope the fourth movie just focuses on Jack Sparrow racing to the fountain of youth against Barbosa.

Feb 11 - 09:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Wow, they could not get a whiter guy than Jake G. to play The Prince. It's one thing when a mediocre game is made into a bad movie, like "Bloodrayne" or "Max Payne", but when a great game is made into a bad movie like "Super Mario Bros.", "Mortal Kombat", "Street Fighter", and soon "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" it's sad. Hollywood just needs to make a bad "Zelda", "Final Fantasy", "Halo", and "Metal Gear" film to crush all of my favorite game series into the ground.

As for "Pirates 3", I really didn't find it too hard to follow. The only thing I don't understand is Tia Dalma's heavy accent. I really liked it, sue me. I agree with you on the fourth, it should be Jack, Barbossa, and The Fountain of Youth.

Feb 11 - 10:35 PM

Solonik -.

Solonik -

He kind of looks like William Fichtner.

Feb 11 - 08:48 PM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

Feb 11 - 09:05 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 11 - 09:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Feb 11 - 10:35 PM

MizzleBrizzle

Mike Bragg

I love the way you phrased the question about female filmmakers. 50% of the planet is female. I don't think even close to 50% of directors are female. I think that it's a no-brainer that between societal expectations, greater willingness to develop male talent, and business attitudes, that there is not an equal opportunity. As I understand it, there's a huge hump to get over in Hollywood to get noticed, regardless of one's talent, and I'd bet it helps to have a Mr. Happy to pad your... resume with.

Feb 11 - 09:10 PM