Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber Reviews

July 19, 2014
Mala pero entretenida en algunos momentos
August 17, 2013
Katya Livingston (Jennifer Love Hewitt) is a fashion-obsessed social climber willing to do whatever it takes to crash the most important party of the year and win over the man of her dreams.

also stars Joseph Lawrence, James N. Kirk, Daniel Roebuck, Colin Ferguson, Sonja Bennett, Andrew Michael Abud, Jennifer Clement, Melissa Rivers, Natassia Malthe, Peter Abraham, Preston Cook and Stefanie von Pfetten.

directed by Dana Lustig
NaWia
June 25, 2013
Actually a good example for those who thinks High Society makes a Person alot better. The high society has its price and that can cost everything important in life, from Friend to own life. Jennifer love Hewitt can play mean, that was not a surprise. She is a random actor.
ScoopOnline
February 26, 2013
I have been a huge fan of Ghost Whisperer and then saw alot of Hewitt Movie, but this was a very interesting Performance. Rude, Mean, Lier, etc, just to climb up in high society. A nice mix, with a little romance.
December 13, 2012
she never gets where she thought she wanted to go hahaha
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
½ November 20, 2012
if you have 90 minutes to kill, watch it. makes fun of San Fran and its stereotypes. yawn
March 3, 2012
I watched the called Confessions of Sociopathic Social Climber. I really thought this movie was good movie.
½ January 31, 2012
I know that you don't have to make your lead character in a movie completely loveable, but making them interesting is generally a must, especially if you're going to include them in every single shot you take. In the case of Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber, we don't get an interesting protagonist, and as a result, the film isn't enjoyable. Well, it's also that way because it's a standard, clichéd romantic comedy, but that almost comes with the territory.

The film stars Jennifer Love Hewitt as Katya Livingston. She works in advertising, although the amount of work she accomplishes is debatable. Apparently she's quite good at her job, as she is always claiming so while nobody says anything to the contrary. However, we only see her take long breaks, talk on the phone about personal business, and kill her boss' pets. That's a running gag in the film, although it's a sadistic one if you ask me. She ends up getting an assistant at one point, but apart from a late game decision, he's more or less a pointless character. Then again, her boss and friends also fit into the category.

The only other person that matters is a man we don't actually get to properly meet until nearly the end of the film. His name ends up being Charles (Colin Ferguson), although he also goes by the name "Chuck." Remember that, as it's quite important (no, it's not actually, although if you want to be "in" on one of the gags before the film tells you, it'll serve you well). She first sees him walking into the building that her office is in, before envisioning him walking up and kissing her. Of course, that doesn't happen. But this vision makes her decide that trying to win his affection would be in her best interest, even if she doesn't make much of an effort over the course of the film.

There's also a major party coming up. You need a golden key in order to get into the party, and those keys (it seems everyone but Ms. Livingston has one) act as our MacGuffins. She isn't invited, but is determined to get one. Most of her actions over the course of the film are driven to either get a key or win the heart of Charles, although which one is more important isn't made particularly clear.

At the end, we end up getting a slapdash romantic comedy. It doesn't seem that way throughout; for most of the film, we just watch Katya go about her daily life while trying to procure a key for herself. And then at the end, well, I'm sure you can guess what happens. Picture a generic romantic comedy, and you've probably figured out how Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber. If you want a hint, just look at the title.

There are a few reasons why this isn't a good film. The first is that it doesn't stay true to itself. If it wanted to go the romantic comedy way -- and I generally don't particularly mind the formula rom-com -- then it needed to do that the entire time. Let us get to know the love interest before two-thirds of the film are over. Show us that the lead character has some sort of inkling to change herself. Actually allow for the romance to be built so that if/when it falls apart, it'll matter. We don't get any of this, so the attempt at the end to turn the film into a romantic comedy falls flat, especially because it relies on genre clichés.

The second reason is one that I mentioned earlier: The main character. She's a one-note character whose sole characteristic is that she's self-centered. That's as deep as she gets, save for one turn that happens late in the film that you will expect and won't surprise you at all. That turn also comes out of nowhere, which is why I stated earlier that having hints regarding how she's feeling about herself would have improved the film. Unfortunately, none of that happens, and were are left with a character that doesn't make sense despite being incredibly simplistic.

Finally, it simply isn't funny. I think that I might have laughed once, although that might have been a pity laugh -- I'm not sure. I can't remember any of the jokes or lines throughout, and I sat there most of the time just having a lousy time. It's entirely possible that other people will find this film funny, and if that's the case, they might have a good time. I just didn't see the humor in this one, leading to an unenjoyable experience.

Is there anything to like here? In short: No. I can't think of a single moment when I enjoyed watching this film. I guess having the camera always focused on Jennifer Love Hewitt is a good idea, despite her not being a particularly good actress. (Just look at the roles she picks; how can we really know if she can act?) Anyway, the opening title sequence has her bouncing around in her underwear for a couple of minutes, which comes close to being something I could call a highlight.

Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber is a mess. It doesn't stick to a genre, which makes the ending come out of nowhere, it doesn't allow any development for its characters, and it isn't funny. When the opening title scene is the best part of the film, you know you're not in for a good time. If you've heard of this movie, and you were curious about it, stay far away. If you hadn't heard about it, forget I said anything and continue your ignorance -- it'll be better for you than wasting 90 minutes with this eyesore.
½ October 11, 2011
The perfect film for Jennifer Love Hewit and that's not saying much for the rest of then film.
July 5, 2011
Jennifer Love plays the standard role she is assigned. The whiny rich bitch socialite who gets everything she wants while being a bitch and then learns that it's better to be nice and gets the nice guy. Bubble gum bubble gum goo!
July 1, 2011
It was okay. I guess.
½ June 30, 2011
OMG Jennifer Love Hewitt & Joey Lawrence in the same movie, ...LOL too cute. (can she guest star on Melissa & joey!?!?) Joey plays her gay best friend 'Fergie' (Ferguson) who always shows up to the clubs/bars not quite dressed to the theme of the place. She's always telling him to just be himself....(she needs to follow her own advice) Jen plays Katya Livingston a cutthroat advertising exec. She's willing to do anything to climb to the top.She's so good that even when she's not pitching she still gets the deal done!~ The big event of the movie is the 'Royal Ball' given by a rival that she is trying to get the invitation to. One day she bumps into her dream guy meanwhile her friend keeps trying to hook her up with her Lawyer. They're quite handsome and even share a few things in common. However due to her social climbing personality, she may have lost the one thing that matters most. I enjoyed the movie, esp. 2 of my fave actors (esp. Joey since he's only a year or so older Its like he lived next door) It was a fun & cute comedy Tho' I don't think it merits better than a C+ but maybe close to a lowercase b...
June 27, 2011
Actually i think people should be framed for making movies like this one.
June 15, 2011
coming soon to my DVD collection...
½ June 14, 2011
I know it is far from a Serious Movie, but Girls Just wanna Have Fun
½ March 19, 2011
THE SOCIAL CLIMBER /CONFESSIONS OF A SOCIOPATHIC SOCIAL CLIMBER [2005] Jennifer Love Hewitt stars as self centred 28-year-old ad sales exec stops at nothing to climb her way to the top of the San Francisco social ladder. It's a predictable and dull film which is just a giant cliché of a film; my rating is a measly 50%.
February 5, 2011
Jennifer Love Hewitt... sinon vraiment sans interet.
½ January 23, 2011
Fabulous...best seen impaired!
January 23, 2011
Fabulous movie...best seen impaired!!