Confessions of an American Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confessions of an American Girl Reviews

January 15, 2013
dark...but I like it...great acting.
March 11, 2012
Many may criticize this film for seemingly "getting nowhere", but this avoids the beloved "happy" ending with a more realistic outcome. However, it doesn't take itself too seriously so the drama doesn't become overwhelming. I enjoyed this film very much and it hit close-to-home with me.
February 8, 2012
I don't understand how a family can be like this for so long b4 they get wise but it made for good and sumwat strange movie with a good cast.
February 7, 2012
damn bad film and how did it get made.
½ August 15, 2011
Nothing too special here. The darkness it touched upon in the middle never materialzed into anything more than haphazardness.
August 9, 2011
damn bad film and how did it get made.
LWOODS04
½ June 8, 2010
CAST: Jena Malone, Brad Renfro, Alicia Witt, Michelle Forbes, Chris Mulkey, Clifton Collins Jr., Erik von Detten

DIRECTED BY: Jordan Brady

SUMMARY: All Rena Grubb (Jena Malone) wants is the ideal family, but the deck is stacked against her, considering that her father (Chris Mulkey) has just been sent to prison. Still, she's determined to give it a shot, persuading her mom (Michelle Forbes) to haul the entire clan to jail so everyone can be together for the annual picnic -- which Rena hopes will lead to healthier and happier family dynamics. But first she must tell everyone she's pregnant.

MY THOUGHTS: "Rena is young, hopeful, and yet quite suicidal. She's also very naive when it comes to the memories of her father. Jena Malone was great as always. I love the characters she chooses to play.. They're never normal or clean cut. I like the weirdness in her character choices. Gives them more depth. Brad Renfro was one of the reasons for choosing to watch this film besides Jena, and I thought he was great in this film just like all the others he has done. Sad he's no longer around to do more great films. Alicia Witt was comical and quirky. I liked her in this film. It was a bit of a crazy movie and sad underneath the surface. The characters are kinda hard to like in this film, but the acting is good."
April 14, 2010
Some of the editing leaves the plot a little choppy but I mostly get what I need out of it. Jena's role is so totally a Jena role and I love that about this film. Michelle Forbes is pretty fabulous ? I might be a little in love with her. What I love here is the way relationships are forged and built and real warmth and comfort is shown between the characters who are able. And real dejection from those who are unable. This movie doesn't break any new ground and it's not too interesting or too terrible but it has a good spot in a Jena Malone marathon.
April 5, 2010
October 26, 2009
Movies not that bad and its actually based on true events, its very deep and a really sad story go rent it or buy it:D
½ July 3, 2009
Confessions of an American Girl is a story about searching and having your hopes up, only everything turning out the way you least expected it to.
The movie somewhat confused you and it was quite hard keeping yourself entertained, the storyline was unique and well thought through. Only the acting wasn't at its highest rate and for some reason it was an understandable storyline that still felt quite difficult as you watched it from start to finish.
May 23, 2009
After depressive teenager Rena falls pregnant, she forces her family along for the annual prison picnic to visit her beloved father who is serving two consecutive life sentences. Set mostly on the day of the picnic, 'Confessions Of An American Girl' follows the emotional turmoil Rena suffers as she deals with teen pregnancy, and realises what a cruel man her father is. With a pretty interesting premise, some stand-out characters, and its fair share of nasty content, this film is quite unhateable. The scripting is neat, the performances are excellent- maybe it's a little shallow and not all that memorable, but it's a damn okay family drama and the exceptional performance from Jena Malone as Rena is enough to make it a worthwhile watch (no one can do screwed-up teenager like Jena can). Way better than its lack of success might suggest, and to end with a quote (and a great piece of advice): "When someone gives you love, try not to shit on it."
April 17, 2009
odd, funny, sad, classic disfunctional family story.
½ December 13, 2008
Sort of a comical and touching look in to a stereotypical, over the top, white trash family...worth a look...it was a little slow but it was decent.
½ November 1, 2008
Awesome movie, gave me that feeling of discomfort. Nice!
October 25, 2008
A very simple movie about a girl and her family visiting her father in prison for the yearly picnic.
October 18, 2008
Bah...this is so sad (ironic)
August 29, 2008
this movie is werid and twiztid at times. but its an awsome movie after all. sad ending but thats how life it
August 5, 2008
This was pretty good. Jena Malone is one of the greatest young talents.