Confidence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confidence Reviews

August 9, 2012
Well-acted, particularly by Dustin Hoffman, and entertaining... but pretty vanilla as far as grifter-flix go.
½ June 5, 2012
The plot is predictably convoluted, but the cast makes for good Ocean's Eleven-style entertainment.
May 21, 2012
Dustin Hoffman played an interesting piece of scum. Other than him, no surprises here. A real time waster.
May 7, 2012
While it may not be the best con in town, the movie still manages to entertain with its colorful cast.
½ April 26, 2012
A very fun romp with a great cast and an enjoyably fast face. As far as con movies go, it plays it pretty safe but I enjoyed the twists and turns and the acting kept me glued to the story.
April 1, 2012
Interesting throughout, but finishes strong!
½ April 1, 2012
Silly Movie!
But Still Pretty Ok!
½ March 30, 2012
Should have been a slick con-flick and indeed it had the B supporting cast but Burns as the lead is staggering boring. His attempts to be cool in person and in noir narration is pitifully weak. He just isn't cool or believably suave. The supporting cast equally coast through generic roles and nothing is inspiring including sets, direction, story and obvious twist ending. The movie suffers most since this format has translated into better TV series such as Hustle and Leverage. Weisz & Giamatti stand out in roles previous to their major successes and Hoffman is effective well as a qwerky gangster whose antics always threaten to spill into violence.
March 23, 2012
Horrible language, but an interesting twist at the end. Wouldn't really recommend the film though.
½ March 8, 2012
Jake Vig (Burns) and his team (Giamatti, Van Holt, Chesnut) are professional grifters ready to pull off the next new job, this time to con bank owner Morgan Price (Forster) to get the money back that they owe to ruthless crime lord "The King" (Hoffman). To mix it up, they add the smoldering Lilly (Weisz) to use as bait, and "The King" requests they use one of his men (G.). For the most part, the plans seem to pan out well, but when one of the members of the crew gets a little bit too greedy, things get a little bit more messy. And in the meantime, a crooked cop (Garcia) is planning to hunt down Vig in an act of revenge. "Confidence" may not be one of the most creative grifter films out there, and heck, it might not even be close to one of the best, but despite all of this I enjoyed most of it. Like most of these kinds of thrillers, it tries to be unique by using quick cut cinematography, a trendy score, and some neat plot devices, and while it succeeds in most of those areas (and creates excellent entertainment value I might add), by the time you finish watching it you'll forget most of it by the next day. But still, that doesn't mean this isn't still a fun movie to watch. The script and the acting together create oddball characters and some witty banter, and is pulled off well by the cast. While this film may not have the excitement of similar movies like 2003's "The Italian Job", or the quirky heist action of 2001's "Ocean's Eleven", I still liked most of my stay. And Hoffman is a standout as the strange crime boss, and Weisz is better than most of the cast as the brutal femme fatale. "Confidence" might not be terrific, but it's well-made and entertaining. And that's all you should have to look for in a crime caper like this.
January 28, 2012
I really like this movie. Think it's clever and very witty.
½ December 23, 2011
Why did I like this movie enough to buy it? Probably wasn't familiar with better con movies at the time. Also Rachel Weisz (always a favorite). Not the worst, just tries way way way too hard.
November 17, 2011
who doesn't like movies like this, there awesome, i love thme, too bad theres not that many
on my list.
October 16, 2011
it seemed quite okay movie..not very good but so so..
October 13, 2011
Intelligent, great casting/acting, tons of style.

Don't miss it.

Kind of guys movie.
August 16, 2011
I thought this was a kind of smart bait and switch con movie with adequate acting from a nice ensemble cast. The denouement proves a worthy ending to a twisty plot. For some reason, I also really love Dustin Hoffman in this kind of role. I'll certainly say this movie has a 'watchability' that may have you coming back to it more than once.
August 15, 2011
Starring Edward Burns, Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia and Rachel Weisz, directed by James Foley, and written by Doug Jung.A group of grifters rip off their latest mark and celebrate, while de facto leader of the group Jake Vig (Edward Burns) explains the art of the con. When one of the four is found shot to death, the other three learn that the latest money they stole actually belonged to a local L.A. crime lord called The King (Dustin Hoffman). Jake proposes that the grifters work for the King and steal money from Morgan Price (Robert Forster), a rival who owns a bank.With a clever screenplay but a little with "too much talk" this is a well made film.
July 9, 2011
Ed Burns is Jake, the leader of a band of con men who rips off a mob boss (played by Dustin Hoffman). Now to pay back Hoffman, they have to try and con one of the most important people in the city. Rachel Weisz plays the street thief Burns takes under his wing who serves as bait. Paul Giamatti is great as Burn's cohort and Andy Garcia has a nice bit as a grungy, yet ruthless federal agent.
July 4, 2011
nice story and very will directed and great story