Confusion of Genders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confusion of Genders Reviews

October 18, 2015
suspenseful in its complications and complicated in its suspenses ...
June 15, 2014
I started to watch it, and everything about it made me want to turn it off. The characters are boring and self-involved, the lighting makes me squint to see, the sets are all ugly.
½ July 7, 2010
Bad title, bad cover (& why every G&L related movie always has to use an ugly, tasteless artwork for the poster or DVD cover?!!) I guess the film was supposed to be funny (noir) for certain moments but too uptight overall. Confusing (core) character. Confusing plotline. Perhaps the one most confused are the audiences.
½ April 23, 2010
[font=Century Gothic]In "Confusion of Genders," Alain(Pascal Greggory) is a middle aged lawyer who is depressed on both a personal and a professional level.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Despite having numerous trysts with members of both genders, he still feels lonely and worries about growing old alone. So, he proposes to his boss, Laurence(Nathalie Richard), who accepts. Then, she gets pregnant. Complicating matters even further is Christophe(Cyrille Thouvenin), brother to Marlene(Marie Saint-Dizier), one of Alain's old hookups, who one night brings Alain home with him.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]Alain wants to take on an important case but Laurence demurs until a murder case comes their way. The client, Marc(Vincent Martinez), gets a life sentence. Alain feels so guilty that he agrees to act as a go-between in a wedding proposal from Marc to his girlfriend, Babette(Julie Gayet), a hair stylist.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Confusion of Genders" is an offbeat satire with an erotic edge. As well-acted and engaging as it is, it could have been even better if its staccato rhythm had been slowed down in a couple of places. The movie is about the pursuit of happiness where the best advice is to roll with the punches, as events may play out in totally unexpected and wonderful ways. For example, Alain's bout of self-loathing comes from life differing from the expectations he originally had, especially not fitting in as well as he would like. Part of that comes from the law not turning out to be the idealistic profession he once thought it was. [/font]
April 23, 2010
5.5/10. Dark comedy, nicely acted by the leads. It is an interesting story but did not always hold my interest. The characters lack depth.
July 10, 2009
In spite of the stupid title, this was a fascinating movie. If you have friends like mine, then these characters will seem very realistic and all too common. The main "confusion" was about how to communicate desire, and in this case, made it seem all that more real.
March 30, 2009
At first I was laughing because I thought they were being serious. Then when I realized it was a comedy I laughed even more. It could have easily gone overboard but fortunately the director works as fast as Alain's scatterbrain and the result is like nothing I've never seen before.
September 15, 2008
un cote blasé un peu chiant a la longue mais une vraie justesse ds une realité d'auj
½ April 21, 2008
Who the hell is this guy on the cover?! He is just an extra in this flick. This movie is about an older man (not young) who is sexual confused and unsure about his wants and needs in life.

++What makes this movie good:
-The actors did a quite good job acting "real" and "natural"
-The movie is confusing... it does make me feel the main character's confusion.

++What makes this movie bad:
-The story is repetitive. We all have watched/heard it before... thousand of times. Nothing is new or interesting.
-Pointless focuses on several characters.
March 18, 2008
Wahow, a voir. trop dur d'exprimer un ressenti après ce film tellement different qu'il me manque du vocabulaire adapte
½ November 11, 2007
I hate the title for this movie, because there's no confusion here. The main character has sex with loads of men, and loads of women. He's pretty sure of what he wants here. It's everyone else who is confused.
½ September 29, 2007
really funny sexy ... loved it so much....
½ September 2, 2007
Really funny, really sexy French comedy. Was nice to watch something not serious by those Frenchy-types.
½ June 17, 2007
Interesting film about sexual confusion and wandering. The metaphor of love as a prison (embodied by the one character who is actually in prison) and the several other characters who love a man who doesn't love them in return (at least not to the same degree) is rather beautifully captured.