Congo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Congo Reviews

½ August 10, 2015
I'm only half way done the book and Michael Crichton makes the gorilla's more realistic than the costumes do in this film
½ July 12, 2015
When Ash is killed searching for diamonds in central Africa, Mitchell sends a small retrieval team (which includes the black Ghostbuster and Pennywise/Lord of Darkness) to locate the diamonds. They piggyback on a scientific expedition (which includes a talking monkey voiced by Fred Jones) heading into the land of heat, volcanoes, racist cannibal natives, war, corruption, desperation, and superstition. This movie was unintentionally hilarious with its deliberate political correctness and over-sentimentality.
June 14, 2015
It has it's charms. It has some great dry albeit awkward humour. For the most part it's clumsily written with half assed performances and bad gorilla costumes.
June 8, 2015
Laden with too much action and too little of the actual things that make Crichton scripts interesting, Congo is watchable albeit just barely.
May 22, 2015
Not sure what the fuzz was all about at that time.
May 10, 2015
a good plot, and quite suspenseful, but seeing Tim Curry attempting a language was laughable
½ April 29, 2015
I always sort of liked this movie. But watching it now I realise the best thing about it is the musical score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. There's better special effects in a made for SyFy movie. To give an illusion an earthquake is happening they seem to just shake the camera.
½ April 23, 2015
The action doesn't work which makes it in perfect lockstep with a crappy script.
February 22, 2015
I just rewatched this and I'll admit, it was A LOT cheesier than I remembered, but it was still exciting and also made me laugh. I recommend.
½ February 11, 2015
Congo set itself out to be a blockbuster with a big plot, a huge jungle setting and ferocious killer gorillas. It achieved some good things but feel short in what you could tell the director wanted to really hit. The story took a long time to really get going and it had lots of filler that wasn't really necessary. The good gorilla that could communicate with humans was fun and humorous and made for a nice, soft touch to the character pool. Once the killer apes were found, they turned out to not be as bad as advertised and were not scary or threatening at all. Some of the acting was pretty bad but luckily you could look past it and focus on other things. All in all Congo had some good moments but it just seemed like it could have been so much more then it was.
½ January 25, 2015
A pretty poor adaptation. But it's hard not to enjoy this Jungle-romp.
December 28, 2014
its funny to see films like this that seems to bad but at least you get to see a lot of animals i seem to enjoy it because its so bad then again who knows maybe the book is not good to be made into a movie.
November 1, 2014
A cornball good time and Tim Curry is in it.
October 27, 2014
The search for King Solomon's Mines, a sign-language-fluent gorilla, and Laura Linney saving the day with a laser gun. Just don't see it.
½ September 7, 2014
I liked this adventure film based on a Michael Crichton novel. There is plenty to gripe about - especially the poorly done apes - but the story is gripping and sentimental, the acting is decent (though the dialogue is unnatural in places), and the innocently gorgeous Laura Linney takes a lead role. You could do much worse than this.
½ September 6, 2014
bad and fun to laugh at
½ September 3, 2014
32%
A painful adaptation of a decent Michael Crichton novel.
August 25, 2014
In the immortal words of nice sign language gorilla Amy "Amy, Amy, mother - Bad gorillas go away!"

A great 90s thriller up there with the likes of the Relic and Anaconda, but the only one featuring a search for the lost city of Zinj.

PS Stop eating my sesame cake!
½ August 10, 2014
This movie will always be compared (fairly or unfairly) to Jurassic Park, and of course, in that respect it comes up way short. But it's important to remember that these are different films, with Congo trying to strike a slightly lighter tone. Of course, at points it crosses the line and comes off as a bit silly, but the movie can be fun at times, and some of the characters are interesting. Especially Winston Zeddemore...I mean Ernie Hudson.
July 25, 2014